Sad day for Norway

The nutters want attention, but you have to way that against people want/need to know about events. We live in a global world where people live and work outside their own country. I been to Norway and the people there were so nice and I would not have expected this to happen there.

http://dailycaller.com/2011/07/23/p...-mass-murderer-faces-just-21-years-in-prison/

Norway Nutter faces a maximum of only 21 years in jail? What's going on in the world. An arab woman can get stoned to death for having an affair and a man who murders nearly 100 people will get a maximum of 21 years?

That's a fvcking outrage.

It is the law of their country, just like some people are opposed to the death penalty and abortion. The law of the land is the law of the land. They have probably never had an offense to keep someone in jail for life before.

It is the law of their country, just like some people are opposed to the death penalty and abortion. The law of the land is the law of the land. They have probably never had an offense to keep someone in jail for life before.

Oh, that's OK then..

Glad to see the hearing is being done behind closed doors.

This monster does not deserve one inch of media publicity. Hope he rots away in a dirty jail cell somewhere...

Who is to say what's right? Perhaps the Norwegians have found that works for them (and had maybe just never predicted anything like this)? I wonder if rehabilitation rates are better than in this country?
Furthermore, if the quotes from various officials are to be believed, they just haven't had anything this gruesome since WWII. Lawmaking is often a reactionary task... I'm sure there'll be calls to change legislation now.

One wonders if they couldn't find a loophole... sentence him to 21 years per incident or perhaps hold back on prosecuting some of the cases (assuming no statute of limitations on murder as in most places), maybe the bombing case, and save it up for when he's nearing release :idea:

Who is to say what's right? Perhaps the Norwegians have found that works for them (and had maybe just never predicted anything like this)? I wonder if rehabilitation rates are better than in this country?

Johnny man, lay off the vodka. Are you seriously defending a legal system that would potentially release the worst mass murderer in recent history when he' still only in his early fifties?

Who is to say what is right? I can tell you what's fvcking wrong for a start. Allowing this law to remain in place after this hideous crime.

My anger comes from, not how Norway's legal system has arrived at where it is now - obviously, it is what I'm hearing that sentences can only be altered for crimes that HAVE NOT YET BEEN COMMITTED!!! In other words, there is seemingly nothing that can be done, nothing at all, to prevent this twisted fvck from walking and doing the same again in 20 years.

Don't worry though, he'll probably have witness protection and live in a nice paid for house somewhere in the countryside so you won't recognise him if you saw him.

:evil:

All I'm saying is that perhaps this law has served Norwegians well until now. Presumably they've had people commit multiple killings before, if not on this scale? The average British person (me included) would probably want to lock up any individual who'd killed just one person for life, if not have them put to death (though I don't agree with that).

If you're offended by the 21 year max limit, don't do any more googling on Norwegian justice. It looks like prisoners ultimately end up in log cabins and working the land towards the end of their sentence. However, it's well known that the British prison system is crap from a re-offending point of view and it does seems Norway is a 'nicer' society overall than the UK or US.

I'd rather find out why a country has such a rule in place rather than rush to judge it.

All I'm saying is that perhaps this law has served Norwegians well until now. Presumably they've had people commit multiple killings before, if not on this scale? The average British person (me included) would probably want to lock up any individual who'd killed just one person for life, if not have them put to death (though I don't agree with that).

If you're offended by the 21 year max limit, don't do any more googling on Norwegian justice. It looks like prisoners ultimately end up in log cabins and working the land towards the end of their sentence. However, it's well known that the British prison system is crap from a re-offending point of view and it does seems Norway is a 'nicer' society overall than the UK or US.

I'd rather find out why a country has such a rule in place rather than rush to judge it.

Feel free to read my post again, and try to take in what was written. If your having a few problems, let me help you understand my 2 main points.

1. I have no issue whatsoever with the existing Norwegian Legal system...to be quite honest, I couldn't give a rats arse about it as, like you say, it has served them well up to now and maybe yes, their rehabilitation programme is more successful than elsewhere.

2. My issue is that the way their legal system is set up does not allow for sentences to be changed after crimes have been committed. It's too late to change custodial sentences for the future, how many more Norwegian mass murderers on this scale are we ever going to see again? Ever?

2. My issue is that the way their legal system is set up does not allow for sentences to be changed after crimes have been committed.
The way THEIR legal system is set up? Uh.. it's pretty common practice (in Western countries) that you can't change criminal laws retroactively.

Yes, it sucks in this case. But there are other cases where I bet you'd be glad it's like that.

It's too late to change custodial sentences for the future, how many more Norwegian mass murderers on this scale are we ever going to see again? Ever?
Could be a couple... the killer says there are 2 more active cells! Hope the folks in Oslo are working on that legislation.

2. My issue is that the way their legal system is set up does not allow for sentences to be changed after crimes have been committed. It's too late to change custodial sentences for the future, how many more Norwegian mass murderers on this scale are we ever going to see again? Ever?

But that's the way sets of rules normally work: NO-ONE WILL SPEND MORE THAN 21 YEARS IN JAIL means just that. Very bad analogy, but you wouldn't change the rules of a game of sport mid-game. Systems can't work like that. The rule would be made and then applied to future games. Maybe as Morbyd says they'll find a creative way to make this guy spend more time in jail (I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it) - otherwise the Norwegians will just need to live with their short-sightedness and change the rules for future crimes.

Yes, it sucks in this case.

Thank you - this is the first confirmation from the last few posts (weak though it comes across) that yes, it does indeed 'suck in this case...'

I'm at a loss of words as to how apathetic the views on this situation here seem to be?

i thought on the news they were saying that if a person is still a danger to the public after their sentence it can be extended tho i cant remember exactly where i heard that

Thank you - this is the first confirmation from the last few posts (weak though it comes across) that yes, it does indeed 'suck in this case...'

I'm at a loss of words as to how apathetic the views on this situation here seem to be?
No need to condescend. No one was saying it doesn't suck. That's where you've obviously missed the point.

You've mistaken logic and reason for apathy.

The way THEIR legal system is set up? Uh.. it's pretty common practice (in Western countries) that you can't change criminal laws retroactively.

Sorry Morbs, but you started it! Just following your lead on the Condescending train!!

Sorry Morbs, but you started it! Just following your lead on the Condescending train!!
Hmm... ya... you see how this Internet thing works, or rather, doesn't? Tone of voice is such an important part of how we communicate! :lol:

I think what's not been made clear in this discussion is that every one of use wants this guy to never see the light of day again.

Hell... back home in the US we'd hang him high!! OK, maybe that's an exageration... we'd just stick him full of needles with nasty drugs. Not saying that's the best route... but sometimes it seems a bit justified.

But, looking at it stoically, there are fathomable reasons why it's not that way in Norway (yet?) and it looks like there might not be a way around it. :(

Hmm... ya... you see how this Internet thing works, or rather, doesn't? Tone of voice is such an important part of how we communicate! :lol:

I think what's not been made clear in this discussion is that every one of use wants this guy to never see the light of day again.

Hell... back home in the US we'd hang him high!! OK, maybe that's an exageration... we'd just stick him full of needles with nasty drugs. Not saying that's the best route... but sometimes it seems a bit justified.

But, looking at it stoically, there are fathomable reasons why it's not that way in Norway (yet?) and it looks like there might not be a way around it. :(

That's an excellent summary of the discussion Morbyd. ;)

Sorry if I was going off on one...this Norway shooting in particular has really got under my skin. :evil:

3fe9385286e2abccc4484502c97a5c62170d591214.jpg

Back