Routine or Rut?

For me its when I have no enjoyment from whatever it is I am doing anymore - I even enjoy coming to work, yes it can become monotonous but its still enjoyable.

I try to make time to do odd things that I wouldnt normally do - anything that's outside of my usual routine. It doesnt have to be anything major or cost a lot - sometimes its takes very little to step outside of your rut.... just making the time is the key...

mine at the moment is drawing again..... and and converting vinyl into files to pop onto the iPod - that's a joyless task in some respects BUT its funny as f*** finding some of the awful stuff I once loved again.....

that's given us loads of fun over the past few weeks and moments of :oops:

Are you for real?! or is this a joke? :confused: You really live your life like this?

hide your problems deep, deep down.

crush those who oppose you, gain power and then from aposition of strength decide who you want to help. it will feel good and make you look like the top boy.

remember that at least you are better than everyone else.

slowly and cleverly find their weaknesses and wear them down bit by bit until they hate themselves. You will feel better than them and therefore you will be the winner

No, I am completely serious :confused: and I may have to add you to my list of potential crushees.

that's given us loads of fun over the past few weeks and moments of :oops:

I found a 12" of 2 unlimited's "Magic Friend" in the atic the other day. Must have belonged to somebody else.........:oops:

Still brought a smile to my face remembering the awfull dance shapes I used to throw to it.....

Agree that learning is really important, regardless of where you are with your career.

This year, I've endeavoured to take up new pursuits - so far been doing a weekly street dance class (don't laugh) which is great exercise and sociable so something I really look forward to. Also been doing a lot of running which is excellent for clearing your head. Got a rabbit and guinea pig this year too who are both great entertainment!

Want to start doing Spanish classes next year as my Spanish is embarrassingly poor considering how often I travel to a Spanish-speaking country.

Moving to London/Brighton in the new year will obviously also open new horizons for me as felt that it was time for a change after 11+ years in Glasgow, as much as I love the place and will miss it.

No, I am completely serious :confused: and I may have to add you to my list of potential crushees.

Yikes! :eek: Does the B in stand for Burns by any chance.....?

MrBurns.jpg

my reading of the thread thus far

Morbyd is in a rut
Robder helped us understand why that might be
Mark B was being ironic
Beckiboo was the voice of reason
and I was suffering from a massive 4 day comedown

Basically Morbyd you just need to sart getting busy and making lots of babies. that will get you out of the rut :lol:

Agree that learning is really important, regardless of where you are with your career.

This year, I've endeavoured to take up new pursuits - so far been doing a weekly street dance class (don't laugh) which is great exercise and sociable so something I really look forward to. Also been doing a lot of running which is excellent for clearing your head. Got a rabbit and guinea pig this year too who are both great entertainment!

Want to start doing Spanish classes next year as my Spanish is embarrassingly poor considering how often I travel to a Spanish-speaking country.

Moving to London/Brighton in the new year will obviously also open new horizons for me as felt that it was time for a change after 11+ years in Glasgow, as much as I love the place and will miss it.

Whereabouts are you moving to? I am in Brighton, you will LOVE it :)

Perhaps another key is having a hobby. Something that fits into the routine but brings daily bursts of joy.

^^ This! Ive managed to mix up my weeks with some sport (tennis & swimming on tuesday & music lessons (piano on thursday's) which leaves me wednesday's for dinner parties etc....
suppose it gets hard to keep your life 'exciting' all the time??
maybe mixing up everything in your life every decade is the way to go?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all well and good saying get a hobby, get an interest, but you can become seriously demotivated in a terrible job with repellent people where your confidence and self-esteem are crushed to dust. You become cynical/depressed/lazy/bitter and so the only solution is then to just get out of your mind whenever you can, because otherwise you may as well just top yourself...

:cry: i hope you dont really think like that olly....
we've talked about this topic a few times & until anyone has the balls (& perhaps the cash) to start doing something they enjoy then their life stays exactly the same!..... i have basically managed to make a career out of my 'hobbies' & have only just got my 1st full time job working for somebody else @ 34years of age.... im not saying its easy...but if i hadnt got up off my arse & believed i could change my situation i would STILL be in the same position i was 15yrs ago.......

life is a 'rut' if you wanna make it one imho......

Back