Rip

Just seen Steve Mac post a tribute to Vangelis ☹️ RIP

I think I know someone who will play a few of his tracks on Sunday morning

Just seen Steve Mac post a tribute to Vangelis ☹️ RIP

I think I know someone who will play a few of his tracks on Sunday morning
That’s sad as such a amazing composer. Gas hadn’t thought of Steve Mac in a while. I remember playing a gig with him many moons ago. Messy guy 😉

@MARKB

Formely of this parish, that we never quite managed to meet for that pint is such a shame. I'll always revere you for this story:

I was inspired by Mark's attitude to adversity as cancer took it's toll - would that any of us might have the fortitude he showed.
I was cleaning up my Instagram account and realized I hadn't seen a post from @MARKB for a long while.
Went to check and realized it was last September, so I went looking for news on Google and then here. Can't believe I missed news of his passing.
Likewise saddened I never got to meet him for that long-overdue pint.
His attitude in the face of cancer was beyond admirable.
May he rest in peace.

I was cleaning up my Instagram account and realized I hadn't seen a post from @MARKB for a long while.
Went to check and realized it was last September, so I went looking for news on Google and then here. Can't believe I missed news of his passing.
May he rest in peace.
That's really sad

May he rest in peace.
I know mate. Thanks for posting this, it's reminded me that I resolved to get back to putting myself out there a little when he passed, as I'd really wished we'd managed to meet.

It's been too long since I've seen you in person too, are Chelsea trips less likely than before?

I know mate. Thanks for posting this, it's reminded me that I resolved to get back to putting myself out there a little when he passed, as I'd really wished we'd managed to meet.

It's been too long since I've seen you in person too, are Chelsea trips less likely than before?
Definitely must set something up next time I'm over.
Only visited once in the past 2 years because...pandemic... and that was summer so no football!

Andy Fletcher of Depeche Mode. Rip
Suddenly I feel old. DM was my favourite band growing up. Probably saw them 15 times. My first trip abroad without parents was at 16 or 17 to a DM concert in Gothenburg with 3 friends. A few years later we'd go on a DM mini-tour to concerts in Gothenburg, Stockholm and then Drammen.

Sadly I never saw them in Germany. Their German fans were rather more uncompromisingly hardcore.

In the 1980's, when they dropped a new album, we'd dash out from school to the record store that got the first shipment.

Andrew Fletcher was the odd one out. He didn't actually do anything on stage, never OD'd during concerts, never any scandals.

I met Andy Fletcher at a warehouse rave party in Moscow in the early 2000s. I was in the queue for the toilet when he walked up with some security guards and we ended up having a chat. Friendly guy. He was one of the DJs at the event (but in reality was just standing around twiddling knobs while his assistant put on records)

Also sat 2 rows in front of him at the FA Cup Final in Wembley once. I was almost as excited about that as the game 🤣

Depeche Mode was (and still is) the music of my life. I've seen them in concert ~10 times (I've lost track, to be honest), starting back home in the US in the 1980s and most recently in Moscow for the Spirit tour (2018, I think?).

Seems like a lot of the musicians I grew up with have passed on in the past few years (2016 was particularly hard, if memory serves) but this one really hurts. He was underrated as a musician and was the glue that held the band together.

Enjoy the silence, Fletch.

nice story Morbyd. I always thought it was interesting how DM existed completely apart from all fads and trends. Been around forever filling stadiums and yet still enigmatic enough that most people wouldn't recognise them in a pub. For me, the advent of club remixes took them to a whole new level of cool in so far as those classic Villalobos, Jacques Lu Cont, Timo Maas, Tenaglia numbers really sounded amazing at parties, appealing to a younger crowd. I remember hearing enjoy the silence at the premier etage at Space and having a 'moment' - a real crowd singalong and then some!

Back