Rip

Top obit.

Also:

Just so tragic. Everyone I know has really felt this today.

And a very nice guy. He played here years ago and I went to the airport with the guy to pick him up....3hr drive from Dublin airport to Waterford and he chatted the journey down. our resident dj was playing Andy was right beside him.. looking at records some he never heard and just loving every minute

For a lot of people my age and slightly older, this is probably their 'Peel or Bowie moment', but whereas all the big rock deaths in 2016 were people you admired, household names but other worldly superstars, they were not people you knew or ever saw down the pub. When it's someone who was a genius but who you ALSO saw down the pub, then maybe it hits extra hard? I would sometimes see him down the Griffin in Shoreditch (longterm spit/sawdust acid house HQ for many years before the new management sanitised it) but was too ridiculously shy to ever really say anything, despite having mutual friends. Which he probably found a bit ridiculous because deep down hero-fandom is silly and ridiculous. And which is why he loved taking the piss out of the music industry and its pretensions.

He refused to play IBZ which is a shame because I think somewhere like Pikes could have done something interesting with him & Sean. But his inner punk refused to play the game or have his name in neon because in his head it was never about HIM or the money. He and Harvey were in certain ways kindred spirits - although from different musical backgrounds they're loved for very similar reasons - their totally sincere commitment to the music and giving the fans a good time and also not really taking themselves that seriously.

and I get it. I similarly just want to scream at certain DJ types and and say "get over yourselves!!"

Anyway, I'll leave it there. Amidst the sadness, have read some beautiful obits. This one is probably my fave.

Back