Recycling in Ibiza

When I was last there in october the owner of my new 'local' launched his brolly chomped hard on his cigar,and went up the street to the bottle bin carrying a large bucket of bottles with no regard at all to peril that his white linen suit was in....:)

I didn't notice any recycling bins in Ibiza.
you didnt pay attention.....

219494652_c5373c3f18.jpg

ico_copyright.gif
flickr

my new 'local'
which one, which one? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Most bin station`s have separate glass, paper and card bin`s along with the normal waste. Also If you look in the airport & public places, There is a choice of bin`s,
We use a different method of refuse collection to the UK, Here you take your rubbish to a "bin station" Usually from 1 to 5 "wheel y" type bin`s ( Large) all over the Island, These are then emptied ( during summer) daily or when need be,
The other "Recycling" that go`s on quietly with no help from the authorities,

The Spanish generally do not like to "hand down" For example, If someone buy`s a new TV, there is nothing wrong with the old one, It would not be offered to anyone, Instead it would be placed by the bin`s, With the remote and sometimes a note to say it is OK, Some people make a good living out of "doing the bin`s, then off to San Jordi market Sat morn.:)

Have a good one
Tim

While on the subject of the planet, waste, and what to do...

There's recycling.
There's reusing, which has been called 'the other recycling' in a previous post.
There's also reducing the amount of waste generated by consumption patterns.

'Animals raised for food produce 130 times as much excrement as the entire U.S. population, roughly 89,000 pounds per second, all without the benefit of waste treatment systems.28 According to the Union of Concerned Scientists, animals on factory farms in America produce 20 tons of fecal matter each year for every U.S. household.29 A pig farm with 5,000 animals produces as much fecal waste as a city of 50,000 people.30 According to Oregon State University agriculture professor Peter Cheeke, factory farming constitutes "a frontal assault on the environment, with massive groundwater and air pollution problems."'
http://www.goveg.com/environment-pollution.asp

"A USDA study found that more than 99 percent of broiler chicken carcasses sold in stores had detectable levels of E. coli, indicating fecal contamination. In other words, if you’re eating chicken flesh, you’re almost certainly eating poop. Consumer Reports states there are “1.1 million or more Americans sickened each year by undercooked, tainted chicken.” Chicken flesh is also loaded with dangerous levels of arsenic, which can cause cancer, dementia, neurological problems, and other ailments in humans. Men’s Health magazine recently ranked supermarket chicken number one in their list of the “10 Dirtiest Foods” because of the high rate of bacterial contamination."
http://www.goveg.com/f-top10chickens.asp

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs.asp?video=chew_on_this

McRackin, a search for vegan yields no results on the main ibiza-spotlight page. Maybe add a few listings of restaurants with vegan options? There's one on Plaza del Parque called Out of Time People which also has a decent selection of juices and teas.

'Animals raised for food produce 130 times as much excrement as the entire U.S. population, roughly 89,000 pounds per second, all without the benefit of waste treatment systems.28 According to the Union of Concerned Scientists, animals on factory farms in America produce 20 tons of fecal matter each year for every U.S. household.29 A pig farm with 5,000 animals produces as much fecal waste as a city of 50,000 people.30 According to Oregon State University agriculture professor Peter Cheeke, factory farming constitutes "a frontal assault on the environment, with massive groundwater and air pollution problems."
While we are on the subject of "fecal matter" Vegans and vegetarians tend to produce a lot of fecal matter because their diets are often very high in fibre.
When it comes to food there will always be waste produced in the production and the elimination. the waste doesn't finish when you shovel the food into your mouth. If people are really concerned then they could stop eating altogether. ;)

While we are on the subject of "fecal matter" Vegans and vegetarians tend to produce a lot of fecal matter because their diets are often very high in fibre.
When it comes to food there will always be waste produced in the production and the elimination. the waste doesn't finish when you shovel the food into your mouth. If people are really concerned then they could stop eating altogether. ;)

Not getting enough fiber in your diet?. You may want to reconsider that. It's not healthy. It may muddy your capacity for reasoning.

There's more about the impact of the meat industry on global warming at: http://www.goveg.com/environment-globalwarming.asp

A lot of it is bull****! :lol:

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
- Arthur Schopenhauer

Some people make a good living out of "doing the bin`s, then off to San Jordi market Sat morn.:)

http://www.terracycle.net/story.htm

Still on a mission I see !
From things I remember reading on this forum I would guess that Warren D eats good and healthy food which may include meat,think he understands his intake fully.
Also think this has gone into overload now,you risk alienating people in your hope of conversion (like all evangelists)

I may well agree with a lot you say,but this is not really the right place in the forum to continue this, especially as you started the thread with a wrong assumption...:idea:

Still on a mission I see !
From things I remember reading on this forum I would guess that Warren D eats good and healthy food which may include meat,think he understands his intake fully.
Also think this has gone into overload now,you risk alienating people in your hope of conversion (like all evangelists)

I may well agree with a lot you say,but this is not really the right place in the forum to continue this, especially as you started the thread with a wrong assumption...:idea:

With all due respect, Don Simon, I think we'll have to agree to disagree, at least on the above. As aside from your interest in tv aerials, I do not know where you stand.

For the sake of clarity, let's take Warren D's ridiculous assertion at face value and not for the sarcastic intent that it contained.

First of all, starvation is obviously not the solution. Though vegetarians and vegans may have a higher fiber intake than meat eaters, it need not be so, as an omnivore could very well have the same portion of vegetables, grains, and other high fiber foods. The only major difference is that the main source of protein is substituted i.e. beans for cows, tofu for chickens, hemp for fish, and lentils for pigs. Dietary fibers move food through the digestive system, they alone do not determine how much waste is produced. That is determined by how much is eaten. Meat eaters could produce more waste simply by 'shoveling' in more than a vegan / vegetarian. A vegan / vegetarian would more likely digest it more efficiently.

As far as how much waste is created in order to raise, say, one cow for slaughter, take the average amount of waste it produces per year, and multiply that by the average life span. Now add some of the other major sources of waste i.e. all the herbicides and pesticides used to grow their feed, all the water to grow that feed, all the water it drinks, and all the acres of land deforested in order to allow for grazing. Now take all the cows, pigs, chickens, etc... that the average meat eater consumes per year... that's a lot of waste...

About this 'mission' you speak of, what mission? This is a public forum where anyone can post their opinion. I am not trying to convert anyone. This thread seemed concluded, when Warren D voluntarily decided to post what he did... though unlike animals in factory farms, he can speak up for himself.

And yes, I started this thread based on a misunderstanding, which once clarified, I retracted my initial statement. There are much worse wrong assumptions out there, such as 'milk does a body good', meat is essential for protein, or animals are clean and well kept on factory farms, for which proponents of those views blatantly refuse to acknowledge the reality of it.

There is a difference between activism and evangelicalism as there is a difference between diplomacy and pacifism.

I hope there was no misunderstanding about the terracycle link. It was an example of how it is possible to make a pretty "good living out of 'doing the bins'" and that manure can be reused as a fertilizer.

The problem is the conditions in which animals are kept in on factory farms and how much waste is produced by that industry.

Waste cannot be totally eliminated. It can be significantly reduced.

"Nature has enough for man's need, but not for man's greed."
- Ghandi

Greenheart Ibiza Environmental Movement

"Greenheart is an international environmental movement based in Ibiza, where this universal symbol with yellow surround was originally designed to touch the 'green heart' of all in our relatively small but very cosmopolitan community."

homejan09.jpg

organigram_eng800.jpg

http://www.greenheart.info/

Back