Recession & holidays

The recession informed my choice to go freelance (which is the best decision I ever made) and cash flow is a problem so may affect summer holiday planning.

If I suddenly earn loads I may get lucky but it's hard to plan things in and take advantage of cheap flights etc.

However, I'm going on a sneaky week long jaunt to NYC next month. 8)

I would love a summer holiday but think it will be off the radar this year - in the process of buying a flat at the moment so thats our priority :confused:

I would love a summer holiday but think it will be off the radar this year - in the process of buying a flat at the moment so thats our priority :confused:
So the recession has affected your summer vacation... by making housing more affordable, thus encouraging you to spend your money elsewhere ;)

Seems to me that the recession only really hits you if a) you've changed/lost your job and make less/no pay or b) you're scared of a.

I have my job and am too foolish to be scared, thus it's full steam ahead :lol:

So the recession has affected your summer vacation... by making housing more affordable, thus encouraging you to spend your money elsewhere ;)

Seems to me that the recession only really hits you if a) you've changed/lost your job and make less/no pay or b) you're scared of a.

I have my job and am too foolish to be scared, thus it's full steam ahead :lol:

Something like that but I am doing it on no pay rise in 2 years and no bonus either but then I am aware things could be worse :confused:

Something like that but I am doing it on no pay rise in 2 years and no bonus either but then I am aware things could be worse :confused:
But there hasn't been much in the way of inflation, for the past year at least, so the lack of a pay rise would not necessarily represent a reduction in your spending power as it would under normal economic conditions...

Its affected us in that I do now think twice about spending money - whereas in the past if I wanted something (whether I needed it or not) I would most likely buy it.... :oops:

Phil is working for himself now and that's going well, but we are definately more conscious of what goes out of the bank account now, against what comes in - also I am keeping money to one side in case I have to shoot off over to Cyprus in an emergency - I still think we will have a holiday this year though as we both need some R&R - its been a tough year what with one thing and another and I do think a holiday does you good, as long as you dont kill yourselves having to pay for it afterwards - dont go overboard (says she who books a villa every year - for 2 people...:rolleyes: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:)

But there hasn't been much in the way of inflation, for the past year at least, so the lack of a pay rise would not necessarily represent a reduction in your spending power as it would under normal economic conditions...

Thats not true in the Uk tho mate. Most things have still gone up year on year, Tube travel has gone up to 20pence on single journeys this year alone!

pay freeze for 2nd year in row

am saving money by cutting back on junk food, literature, music, trainers, narcos

which should mean holidays are affordable. I never spend that much money in Spain anyway so am not overly concerned.

the new motor will be a drain but will save on taxis, trains and booze

currently moonlighting too... plenty of options about if you're smart

Thats not true in the Uk tho mate. Most things have still gone up year on year, Tube travel has gone up to 20pence on single journeys this year alone!

I am afraid I have to agree - my train fare has gone up both years I have been in the City against no pay rise....

Going skiing in Chamonix the end of this month (not summer), mate's stag do to Berlin in July, nothing else planned but I tend to book things last minute, so nothing different due to recession there.

I don't believe you.

tis true

last year I barely spent any money on music (maybe £100?) - most of that was old 12s or LPs on berwick street and this year I don't think I'll buy anything at all.

I only raid blogs now or get the occasional promo sent through - which is morally dicey but an economic necessity.

Jesus - just heard another mate got made redundant.

Rose coloured specs removed please Morbs! There's definitely trouble at mill.

Going skiing in Chamonix the end of this month (not summer), mate's stag do to Berlin in July, nothing else planned but I tend to book things last minute, so nothing different due to recession there.

have fun Skiiing mate, just got back from Les Arcs which isnt too far from Chamonix and I would love to go back!

Definatley wont be doing the 2 or 3 trips this year. Will be lucky just to get away once:cry:

Prices in Ibiza are just too expensive for what you get and lm looking for value first.

Like some people have said Im also very carefull how I spend my cash now.

As Kano says, my credit don't crunch.

European tour in the summer and a little Setember week in the sun in Spain somewhere. Maybe a cheeky weekend in Ibiza depending on bonuses etc.

As Morbo says, I don't really see myself as affected by any of this, except maybe the £ being ****.

... expensive for what you get and lm looking for value first ...
... Im also very carefull how I spend my cash now.
those greedy bastards and a$$holes, who thought it would be a great idea
to charge the ridiculous obscene amount of 10 euros for a small smelly crap-water
in a little plastic-bottle or a ****ing bottle of beer should be found, sent to jail
and made responsible for losses othe businesses have to suffer in coming seasons,
because people go elsewhere because of such an impertinent rip-off.

Back