Recession/Credit Crunch

Jonny68

Is it as bad in the UK or elsewhere as it is here?More and more people signing on the dole, even the figures they've given here wouldn't show the true extent of how bad things have become.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1001/jobs.html

I've 10+ years experience in my profession and im constanly looking for a job yet cannot get anything at all, this keeps up im completely bankrupt and will lose my apartment,etc, this time last year employment agencies were tripping over themselves offering you work,i don't think anyone would've predicted things would've become so bad.

Times are bad, if this keeps up i can see (just like the 1980's) mass immigration of Irish people, even the Polish/Eastern Europeans seem to be leaving in their droves.

I live in Leeds, and on an almost daily basis the evening regional news have been reporting from various towns that are badly affected by the financial crisis and suffering job losses. Halifax building society, Bradford & Bingley, all building sites have virtually closed down, small shops closing down etc etc.

Try and get yourself a job load of cheap toys & christmas stuff and setup a market stall quite cheaply. You would at least get some money coming in whilst looking for work? It's a time to be as resourceful as possible, create a cd/ dvd power point presentation to accompany your cv, setup a website selling your skills?

There is work out there if people really wanted it.

To be honest we seem to be counting the days here at work but it is out of our hands so no point moaning or worrying just do something about it.

I have 2 kids to support so if I got the Spanish archer I would do anything it takes to support them. If that means stacking shelves in local shop then so be it!

Just remember there are millions of people worse off around the world who have no food, home, family, health etc etc who would swap places with us!

Yes it is not a great time but remember hard times make hard people!

Likewise!!

It's making me very twitchy indeed, luckily Im not involved in the financial sector, I work with the construction sector :eek: (gulp!!!!) and we are having it tough, Im still here....for now......!! Add to that my missus isnt back at work after having our daughter last December, she's looking at the moment but it's pretty dry out there. We can live off me if I regularly hit my monthly commission but I would rather not depend on that. Absolute worse case scenario, I lose my job and it all goes to the wall the bail out plan is to move in with the in-laws and rent our house out!! :confused: The missus is thinking of signing on, do we get anything? I doubt it!!

I work in a recruitment company that deals with the insurance market, we have generally been quiet all year but there have been placements going on. Just not as busy as when I started here last summer.

I think the motto here is they got through the last recession they can get through this one. This company has been going since the 80s :lol:

Still quite scary though as some people have been made redundant in our regional offices yet its been kept hush hush.

My other half is an estate agent so things are a lot worse for him. He has managed to hold onto his job but they have still got rid of about 6 people maybe more.

I'm starting to see the effect closer to home which is a bit scary. My friend who has worked in recruitment for a good few years has just been made redundant. Some of my friends who working in manual jobs have commented that they are finding it harder to get work these days.

Luckily for me and Jon we both work in Finance, which at a time like this is more or less the only guaranteed needed profession!

We both want to buy a place in the near future, but with the current market how it is, God knows if that's a good idea or not???

Tom is an estate agent so finding it tough - he feels tho that he's had 9 years of it being all hunky dory so it's inevitable he'll have to deal with the bad times now and again, he knows it will pick up so is quite chilled about it. Fortunately he works in an area that is quite affluent so it's not hit him as hard as some estate agents in other offices and his job is safe.

In my line of work it's the exact opposite for me, cos I work freelance I've got job offers coming out of my ears cos companies are reluctant to take permanent staff on so are using freelancers more for projects/work. So as long as I get regular work it balances out Tom's work.

We both bought property years ago and have a little mortgage so fortunately that's not a worry.

Saying all that tho I am def conscious of my spending now - no more M&S food shopping for me, strictly Tesco all the way now :lol:

I work in Consulting but in the Management and IT side - we split from the Finance side (Arthur Anderson) 2001 and I am rather pleased about that.

To be honest, I think I am pretty safe here for now, I am up to my eyes in work and so are all the guys I support and we are getting new business in, however, the figures are not as massive as they used to be and we are fighting for business more and more against competitors for work and we have had to lower our prices at tender but so far..... fingers crossed.... nothing scary is happening with us.

I am lucky to be on a really good wage, we save, we have a mortgage that's paid off virtually, and no other major debt other than a few hundred on a credit card and that's it - I never used to be like that but I am now and so pleased that I havent accumulated more debt and a huge mortgage.

Phil works in recruitment and he is seeing a massive downturn in clients - he's got the kids fit for work but no jobs to put them into - so yeah - he's a bit worried and looking to move out of recruitment as soon as its feasible

I work in Consulting but in the Management and IT side - we split from the Finance side (Arthur Anderson) 2001 and I am rather pleased about that.

To be honest, I think I am pretty safe here for now, I am up to my eyes in work and so are all the guys I support and we are getting new business in, however, the figures are not as massive as they used to be and we are fighting for business more and more against competitors for work and we have had to lower our prices at tender but so far..... fingers crossed.... nothing scary is happening with us.

I am lucky to be on a really good wage, we save, we have a mortgage that's paid off virtually, and no other major debt other than a few hundred on a credit card and that's it - I never used to be like that but I am now and so pleased that I havent accumulated more debt and a huge mortgage.

Phil works in recruitment and he is seeing a massive downturn in clients - he's got the kids fit for work but no jobs to put them into - so yeah - he's a bit worried and looking to move out of recruitment as soon as its feasible

Thats the same here. Plenty of people coming in to register just not the jobs :cry:

I worked for Andersen Consulting back in 1998 / 99. Jeez those boys knew how to spend the client exe's:lol::lol::lol:

My work is pretty much bombproof because it's public funded infrastructure stuff. It's booming due to the Olympics, in fact.

I feel for those suffering though -

No point worrying about stuff you've no control over.

Of course, but mitigating potential problems is worth a moment's thought though. Spare room to a lodger if your mortgage payments could get bit hairy, that sort of thing.

I worked for Andersen Consulting back in 1998 / 99. Jeez those boys knew how to spend the client exe's:lol::lol::lol:

I started in 97 and yes still there!! - I used to have fantastic amounts of money to play with to organise things...

for example - '98 hired Light Water Valley, massive marquee, BBQ, wall of TV's so the world cup matches could still be watched, coach travel for the staff ,and goodie bags for the kids. All to have a family fun day as a thank you for working so hard and as a thank you to their families for putting up with the long hours their other halves had to work!!..... :lol::lol::lol:

fab to organise though - a great day!

I started in 97 and yes still there!! - I used to have fantastic amounts of money to play with to organise things...

for example - '98 hired Light Water Valley, massive marquee, BBQ, wall of TV's so the world cup matches could still be watched, coach travel for the staff ,and goodie bags for the kids. All to have a family fun day as a thank you for working so hard and as a thank you to their families for putting up with the long hours their other halves had to work!!..... :lol::lol::lol:

fab to organise though - a great day!

It was certainly the way whilst I worked for them, work hard and play harder :lol: I still reminisce about my time spent working for Andersens. One day my immediate boss was feeling rough after our xmas do, he came over to my desk and said f*ck this come on. Went to his house listening to moosic and chilling. I was on contract getting paid £50 an hour at the time! First class train from Leicester to London with full English breakfast, those were the days:lol::lol::lol:

I imagine you are in a minority nearly having your mortgage paid off, not a bad place to be at right now. Over the years I have tended to adopt the Viv Nicholson approach and am now fearful for the footure:rolleyes:

Its not really hit me...........because I'm rich :lol::lol::lol::lol:!

We nearly own our house, buying another one for cash to rent plus I have a good job, and the main reason for this is not spending a shed load of cash and building up huge bills at the time when there was alot of money around like alot of other people in this country, the phrase 'rod for own back' springs to mind.....investment was the way forward and it certainly pays ;)!

On a serious note tho, I work as a Business Analyst in the private teaching sector and we not really noticing a massive slow down as yet as the nature of our industry is very seasonal (Summer is when the big bucks roll in), next year we might see a slow down but when you have the Arabs, Japanese and Chinese markets (where there is good money) all wanting to learn English as a foriegn languauge we can compensate for less numbers with increased fees, in turn balancing out any potential losses year on year.

Back