Recession/Credit Crunch

Its not really hit me...........because I'm rich :lol::lol::lol::lol:!

loadsamoney.jpg

I'm starting to see the effect closer to home which is a bit scary. My friend who has worked in recruitment for a good few years has just been made redundant. Some of my friends who working in manual jobs have commented that they are finding it harder to get work these days.

Luckily for me and Jon we both work in Finance, which at a time like this is more or less the only guaranteed needed profession!

We both want to buy a place in the near future, but with the current market how it is, God knows if that's a good idea or not???

Actually now would be a good time to buy property in Dublin anyway as prices have dropped dramitically over the last 2 years (assuming you have the money,i wouldn't dare get a mortgage in this current climate)

I work in finance too and obviously things here are different because i simply cannot get a job, ive applied to shedloads of jobs so hopefully something will give, worst case scenairo ill have to get lodgers into my apartment and move in with a friend of back to my mums for a while which id sooner not do but it may be the only option as i don't have the money to pay for it,then that's only my apartment that doesn't solve how the rest of my vast bills will be paid which are mounting up.

Those who are doing ok and have no financial worries, all i can say is be thankful your in that predicament, and not directly affected over this awful recession, it doesn't appear to be quite as bad in the UK as of yet but will probably get worse.

Yep I think it's a case of if you're lucky enough to have a job and it's currently stable, you should be ok. For those unfortunate enough to not have a current job, or working in an unstable industry, its worrying times.

I started in 97 and yes still there!! - I used to have fantastic amounts of money to play with to organise things...

for example - '98 hired Light Water Valley, massive marquee, BBQ, wall of TV's so the world cup matches could still be watched, coach travel for the staff ,and goodie bags for the kids. All to have a family fun day as a thank you for working so hard and as a thank you to their families for putting up with the long hours their other halves had to work!!..... :lol::lol::lol:

fab to organise though - a great day!

'08 hired a tent on seaford promenade and we had a donkey ride each and a bag o crisps!!

Refrigeration is booooooooooooooming. Everyone needs fridges ! Unfortunately, I'm currently looking at going back into recruitment for the wedge but maybe if there is two people on here saying times are hard then it's not such a good idea. Despite all the companies interested in me telling me that 'the credit crunch has not affected us at all'. Everyone is very keen to tell me that, I just don't believe them. Although the only other route I can go down is salesy which is pretty commission based and therefore if there is a recession won't bode well for my commission !! Back to bareknuckle prize fighting I think...

Actually now would be a good time to buy property in Dublin anyway as prices have dropped dramitically over the last 2 years (assuming you have the money,i wouldn't dare get a mortgage in this current climate)

Best time to buy (if your going to live in it and not rent) is when they are on the way back up ;).....no point buying to get negative equity after a couple of months....rent instead, its not dead money then!

Those who are doing ok and have no financial worries, all i can say is be thankful your in that predicament, and not directly affected over this awful recession, it doesn't appear to be quite as bad in the UK as of yet but will probably get worse.

Those of us who have no financial worries either thought about what they were doing with there money (moi, hence not struggling) and worked hard at using it properly or were just rich at the start.......selfish view, but I've got nothing to be thankful for, I used my noddle.

Tom is an estate agent so finding it tough - he feels tho that he's had 9 years of it being all hunky dory so it's inevitable he'll have to deal with the bad times now and again, he knows it will pick up so is quite chilled about it. Fortunately he works in an area that is quite affluent so it's not hit him as hard as some estate agents in other offices and his job is safe.

In my line of work it's the exact opposite for me, cos I work freelance I've got job offers coming out of my ears cos companies are reluctant to take permanent staff on so are using freelancers more for projects/work. So as long as I get regular work it balances out Tom's work.

We both bought property years ago and have a little mortgage so fortunately that's not a worry.

Saying all that tho I am def conscious of my spending now - no more M&S food shopping for me, strictly Tesco all the way now :lol:

I get Staff discount at M&S so I will be continuing to do my food shopping there!!!:twisted:

I get Staff discount at M&S so I will be continuing to do my food shopping there!!!:twisted:

I've boycotted M&S on principle since they started charging for carrier bags:

1) it stinks of hypocrisy seeing as their products are packaged up to the moon in excessive packaging
2) what else am I sposed to use to pick up my dog poo with :lol:

I've boycotted M&S on principle since they started charging for carrier bags:

1) it stinks of hypocrisy seeing as their products are packaged up to the moon in excessive packaging
2) what else am I sposed to use to pick up my dog poo with :lol:

Arent carrier bags brilliant when you have dogs :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Since Benson (RIP) went - I dont use carrier bags anymore.... I have got some freebie "green" cotton ones.....

Am debt free and rent my gaff. I try to not get too highly strung on something I cannot take with me...don't see the point.

On the subject of working, as a family unit at the moment we are better off with my wife being a full time mum as oppose to working part time:eek::eek::eek:

Best time to buy (if your going to live in it and not rent) is when they are on the way back up ;).....no point buying to get negative equity after a couple of months....rent instead, its not dead money then!

Those of us who have no financial worries either thought about what they were doing with there money (moi, hence not struggling) and worked hard at using it properly or were just rich at the start.......selfish view, but I've got nothing to be thankful for, I used my noddle.

That's a very selfish view of looking at things, sometimes it's got nothing to do with "using your noddle", some people just have bad luck, people stuggling could have suffered with redundancies, marriage breakups, illness etc, or just never have been fortunate enough to be in a job that earns a lot of money.

I know quite a few people in predicaments through no fault of their own.

Granted, some people are just careless with money and should have planned for the future, but this "well done me, Im alright so there" attitude stinks! :eek: :x

Am debt free and rent my gaff. I try to not get too highly strung on something I cannot take with me...don't see the point.

I have to say - that's the point we are at. Our plan is to pack up in 7 years take early retirement sell everything and rent somewhere abroad. No point in us buying property abroad as we have no children to pass our earthly goods on to - we are basically gonna budget well and live off our cash/pensions until we kick the bucket...

On the subject of working, as a family unit at the moment we are better off with my wife being a full time mum as oppose to working part time:eek::eek::eek:

the whole benefits system needs an injection of common sense.
wont happen tho.

anyway, keeping my head low financially, and at work, fingers crossed, am aiming to be in a position where i can pick and choose my next move, rather than be constrained by how much i "need to earn".

the whole situation is a ****ing mess. my mums life savings are in the balance, as we took out a bond issued by Lehman Bros, even though we were told that the only risk to it was if any of the banks listed were to go under (HSBC, Citigroup, Barclays etc....) seemed a good idea a couple of years ago...

bastards.

That's a very selfish view of looking at things, sometimes it's got nothing to do with "using your noddle", some people just have bad luck, people stuggling could have suffered with redundancies, marriage breakups, illness etc, or just never have been fortunate enough to be in a job that earns a lot of money.

I know quite a few people in predicaments through no fault of their own.

Granted, some people are just careless with money and should have planned for the future, but this "well done me, Im alright so there" attitude stinks! :eek: :x

I do praise the way my life has gone but I'm not sticking two fingers up at everyone else, I'm just saying look back at your spending habits (or how you've managed your money) and more often than not and you'll find the route cause.

I admitted it was selfish view but the fact remains that the higher %age of people who have helped get this country into the 'credit crisis' its going through are people who are greedy and living beyond there means rather than sitting back and thinking about what they can really afford rather then trying to keep up with the jones's.

So using your noddle does come into it, I appreciate people have bad luck (and all the things you stated above) but the %age of these people hasn't dramtically increased in the past 3 to 5 years but the people who live beyond there means have.........the people who don't know the value of money :x:x!

I've been one of the strugglers in life but I've managed to keep the right side of the red line......again, it comes down to using you noddle.

Being in finance I'm sure you can appreciate my arguement.......;)

I admitted it was selfish view but the fact remains that the higher %age of people who have helped get this country into the 'credit crisis' its going through are people who are greedy and living beyond there means rather than sitting back and thinking about what they can really afford rather then trying to keep up with the jones's.

amen.

I have to say - that's the point we are at. Our plan is to pack up in 7 years take early retirement sell everything and rent somewhere abroad. No point in us buying property abroad as we have no children to pass our earthly goods on to - we are basically gonna budget well and live off our cash/pensions until we kick the bucket...

Where are you going :lol:

Fear is the path to the dark side.

Fear leads to anger.

Anger leads to hate.

Hate leads to suffering

Where are you going :lol:

Obviously somewhere that Phil can back to the match every fortnight during the footie season.... :lol::lol::lol::lol: (if all the low cost airlines aint gone bust in the next 7 years Lol)

so prob Spain but we are checking out Portugal and Croatia next year so they're both possibilities - who knows.

We are spending the next few years checking out countries and trying new placesto see what's on offer....

Back