RA Top 100 DJs of 2015

the worst top 100 ever imo. The scene really has collapsed with the emergence of this shitty shity tech house. Topping skream jackmaster and jamie jones in the top 20 is shocking. richy ahmed and solardo shouldnt be in the top 500

Last edited:
the worst top 100 ever imo. The scene really has collapsed with the emergence of this shitty shity tech house. Topping skream jackmaster and jamie jones in the top 20 is shocking. richy ahmed and solardo shouldnt be in the top 500

I'd agree with you, except Jackmaster I think.

The results do get skewed by Resident Advisor's rules that voters have to have been to a party where the DJ they voted for played in the last year (and got tickets through RA I think?) so it favours hard touring DJs, particularly those who do the festival circuit, as they're seen by more people. Might explain in part a few of the more surprising names at the top end.

RA readership now probably becoming bigger and bigger and therefore now a lot more diverse than it would have been in years gone by as it has become the go to site for tickets which explains the likes of Topping, Skream etc placing so highly. The top 20 more or less makes sense to me though, that doesn't mean I agree with it.

What's remarkable about this year though is the suddenness of the change compared to previous polls. There seems to have been a changing of the guard with those previously dominant until very recently dropping, in some cases heavily, and there place taken by some surprising DJs. (With a few notable exceptions)

Yeah but is that not just the youngsters being more enthusiastic and more of them voting and us oldies not so much? People my generation and older may vote for - Harvey, Move D, Loco Dice...take your pick - they are dropping off - but the guys the kids are seeing out week after week are thriving? Maybe I'm wrong. Seems like something of a natural churn.

f***ing patrick topping smh. This whole new wave is terrible. chav galore.

In what world is he skream etc above guys like garnier talablot etc. Crazy

I personally like this "elrow/do not sleep" style with this groovy sound between commerce and underground ala topping, tanzmann, waff... but for me that nothing has to do with "top (underground) dj" and was very confused when I saw toppings ranking...

Still don't get why Skream is so disliked on these forums. He has been consistently good everytime I've seen him (and it's not like I go out of my way to see him!)

There's so many more names on that list that deserve antipathy more than Skream & Jackmaster!!

Yeah but is that not just the youngsters being more enthusiastic and more of them voting and us oldies not so much? People my generation and older may vote for - Harvey, Move D, Loco Dice...take your pick - they are dropping off - but the guys the kids are seeing out week after week are thriving? Maybe I'm wrong. Seems like something of a natural churn.

Agreed, except RA cultivates a reputation for seriousness and is a breeding ground for techno snobbery, even amongst youngsters which is why I was surprised to see some of those that have been mentioned near the top. Perhaps those days are fading.

Still don't get why Skream is so disliked on these forums. He has been consistently good everytime I've seen him (and it's not like I go out of my way to see him!)

I think it's a combination of a perception that he jumped ship from dubstep for commercial reasons rather than artistic and (I've heard him a few times) his sets aren't exactly spine-tingling, maybe I've been unlucky but has seemed like they've been just a run-through of beat-matched bangers.

More an Ibiza clientele thing than an RA poll but when an Ibiza related fb page asks 'what song reminds you of Ibiza 2016' and the majority of answers are 'Mike Posner (correct name?) - Took a pill in Ibiza' yep thats whats up

Back