RA Top 100 DJs of 2015

The experience for a punters point of view might not differ much, but arguably it is a far greater skill than selecting and mixing tracks.

Fair point, I think if you just listen to the album a couple of times you won't necessarily "get" him as the tracks on the album individually don't really pack much of a punch in the conventional sense. I think for me, I'm just so impressed with him as a person and was hooked on his productions as soon as he released vacuum boogie....it sounds very cheesy but for a lot of FP fans it has been a bit of a journey from that point to here. Read this if you get a mo, it might explain things a bit better

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?2139
This article is actually what finally drove me to listen to Floating Points, he gets a lot of mentions and discussion on RA and then I read the feature and figured I should investigate. Having not seen him live and trying to see what he was about I downloaded eleania and listened straight through on a plane ride, and then listened to it again and it just kind of left me wanting more. Some of the tracks are super super basic. I dont mean that as bad, or basic as in a 4th grader could make it...its just not a lot going on. I guess some people find beauty in simplicity but it just doesnt do it for me i guess. The Silhouettes I II III was pretty awesome though, if they were all a bit more in that range I think I would've enjoyed it. If you have any solid sets from him live though let me know and ill give a listen.

Don't agree with the comments on Skream and Jackmaster, two brilliant djs who never play it safe during their sets, always play curveballs which you don't get alot nowadays. Skream is constantly reinventing himself also, which you must give credit for.

Don't agree with the comments on Skream and Jackmaster, two brilliant djs who never play it safe during their sets, always play curveballs which you don't get alot nowadays. Skream is constantly reinventing himself also, which you must give credit for.

Reinvent or bandwagon-jump? Hmm...

I had more time for some of the other dubstep lot eg joy orbison, appleblim who blurred things from the start

Reinvent or bandwagon-jump? Hmm...

I had more time for some of the other dubstep lot eg joy orbison, appleblim who blurred things from the start

To be fair he jumped for dubstep which he had a key in its rise to prominence in many aspects..to disco/nu-disco style of house. I wouldnt call that bandwagon jumping. Both times ive seen him (only since he stopped playing dubstep) ive enjoyed.

Skream is an interesting one. I probably wouldn't go see him as a headliner in a club unless it was local, but I saw him at Paradise this year and have seen him at festivals this year and enjoyed him. I don't really like DC10 main room but he kept me for the duration at his set this summer and he is great to watch.

Depends what people expect from these polls, plenty of DJs I have enjoyed as because of time/place/setting but might not be consistently high rankers in an RA poll. And some of those polling high have bored me when I have seen them!

As has been said by many, it's a poll and it's all down to who actually voted but I was surprised / pissed off not to see Dennis Ferrer feature anywhere in that top 100...really!??!! :eek:

I've slagged Skream before on this forum and totally get the different comments here. All I can say is that I've seen him play 3 or 4 times this summer since then and he totally won me over…feel like I need to stand up for him a bit…

Anyway…as the great man would say "Let's just forget about all this"…the poll is done, we've digested it healthily and we'll all agree to disagree…nice to see that we've all respected different opinions as well. We've all got different tastes and its great that different dj's and different styles all turn us on in different ways…thats what it's all about!

Back