RA Top 100 DJs of 2015

The best DJ i heard out this year was Paramida. The kind of driving house i really like. Dark, obscure, druggy grooves. Shazam has no chance. Harvey was very good too in Spain - more on the chuggy vibe that night. Lord of the Isles - pretty awesome too

For me, Solomun Voorn and Kolsch..solely off the sets I saw that made the most impact. Solomun is my favorite DJ and i saw him i believe 5 or 6 times since the last poll. One was the cityfox in NYC which occurred 2 weeks after last years poll ended so im counting that. Plus his appearance at Amnesia with Sven..and then also hosting Sven at Pacha and the after hours that ensued. Im a huge fan of diynamic in general and their parties/podcasts/downloadable sets from the year... have never disappointed so for all of those reasons I gave Solly my #1. My #2 went to Voorn who blew me away after Prydz played 4 hours during MMW, Voorn took over the Space terrace and instantly fell in love. His essential mix, various mixes including the Fabric 83 were constant listens for me and the remix of the Royskopp song he did couldnt get out of my head for ages. 3 went to Kolsch, I saw him three times i believe. MMW, Ibiza (Space Terrace), and Ibiza a second time. Kolsch has always been one of my favorites and his sets this year didnt disappoint. Saw him at the elrow party at space and he ended the night by getting on the dance floor when it had started to empty out and danced/partied with everyone for a bit. Guy always brings the energy and i never have any complains. 4 went to Jaar for what was probably one of the best sets ive ever seen in Miami for III Points festival. 5th vote went to Dixon for a set at DC10. I went in with high expectations having never seen him before (always seems to never work out), and i almost thought i would be let down...100% wasnt. The toughest part about voting in a poll like this is unless you are in the industry or live in berlin or ibiza...you only have so many nights out all year and you typically have to plan to see the people you love and only get to throw in a few new people each year..let alone give a new dj two chances. So while acts like Job Jobse, Hunee, Ben UFO all had great years in the poll..i cant even disagree or agree with their positioning. Theres just no way to see everyone and give a proper account. Collectively though everyone's opinion can shed some light on people that were making impacts on others wherever they played.

Last edited:
Fair point, I think if you just listen to the album a couple of times you won't necessarily "get" him as the tracks on the album individually don't really pack much of a punch in the conventional sense. I think for me, I'm just so impressed with him as a person and was hooked on his productions as soon as he released vacuum boogie....it sounds very cheesy but for a lot of FP fans it has been a bit of a journey from that point to here. Read this if you get a mo, it might explain things a bit better

Resident Advisor released their top 20 albums of 2015. Eleania got #1.

Not a huge surprise as he does seem to be the darling of RA at the mo as you say. Glad he is getting some good recognition though as he is one of the good guys and it is well deserved as his music is so well produced and varied.

link me a live set hes recorded or something i may like!

There are a few dj sets mate:

https://soundcloud.com/floatingpoints/floating-points-four-tet-final-plastic-people-2-1-2015
https://soundcloud.com/floatingpoints/youre-a-melody-1
https://soundcloud.com/yann-namuroy/ra301-floating-points
https://soundcloud.com/max36diva/floating-points-essential-mix-november-28th-2015-free-download

If you only have time to listen to one, go for the RA mix - sums his dj sets up perfectly in 90 mins or so.

Don't think there are many live sets out there, but these are some older productions you might like:

Saw FP live last night...was really impressed...practically a 12-16 piece jazz band just playing freestyle and there were some great visuals too. FP himself had all sorts of synths around him. He's a proper geek but boy does he know his music!

We're off to see Roisin Murphy tonight in Dublin. .rumours mano is around for after party. . both are from the same town in co. Wicklow..some useless electronica trivia for the day.:)

We're off to see Roisin Murphy tonight in Dublin. .rumours mano is around for after party. . both are from the same town in co. Wicklow..some useless electronica trivia for the day.:)

SO jealous! Never seen her! She doing a DJ set?

she was superb. .sung 4or5 moloko track and a snippet of sing it back during one of her newer track. she looked great on stage in the best venue. .

Here's this year's:

https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/2857

Validity of polling people to rank DJs aside, it's interesting to look back over the years and see the changes.

This year in particular, perennial top-enders like Richie and Ricardo have dropped drown. Lots of the old guard are slipping to varying degrees as well when they maintained high positions for years on the poll (Carola, Loco Dice, Sasha, Digweed, poor Luciano didn't even make it!). Even the Berghain boys (Klock and Dettmann) slipped.

Times they are a changin' or is this just a load of subjective nonsense that only reflects the views of the tiny sample that actually bothered to vote, and who votes in these things anyway, and why is such and such not on the list, and music shouldn't be about ranking people, and, and, and...

Back