PVD Wins DJ Mag Top 100

Barbie said:
Do Americans vote it in now :confused: No wonder the results are such a joke then :rolleyes:
:evil:
ahem.

The results have been a joke for a long time, with the blame lying firmly at the feet of the European glowstick-waving trance-loving public. :rolleyes:

Barbie said:
Stu Hirst said:
Christopher Lawrence is America's biggest trance dj.

Do Americans vote it in now :confused: No wonder the results are such a joke then :rolleyes:

From djmag.com:

"The USA provided the most votes in 2005, closely followed by the UK, and then Germany."

Morbyd said:
Barbie said:
ahem.

The results have been a joke for a long time, with the blame lying firmly at the feet of the European glowstick-waving trance-loving public. :rolleyes:

That'll be British and American "glowstick-waving trance-loving public" actually.

Morbyd said:
ahem.

All I meant by that was America is years behind UK when it comes to dance music cos the scene is a lot newer there, hence why a lot of Americans get excited by the like of Tiesto etc whereas he's old hat over here and has been for years unless you're a Gatecrasher kid.

Dr Mick said:
From djmag.com:

"The USA provided the most votes in 2005, closely followed by the UK, and then Germany."

I see, that explains everything then. I thought it was UK only votes and I could never understand why it was dominated by trance.

naddyz said:
Wayno said:
Morbyd said:
Why is the top 20 always dominated by trance? Are there just that many glowstick-happy teenagers voting in this thing? :evil:
Agree with PvD getting number 1, but how the hell did ATB get into the top 10, how is he even in the top 100!?

i'm completely confused by this too...

and who is Christopher Lawrence? or am I just being silly and he's very well known?

I love Christopher Lawrence - his Exposure CD's are usually near the top of the pile in the Pups kennel..... He's more dark and dirty trance than airy fairy trance in my opinion.....

Dr Mick said:
From djmag.com:

its all down to marketing. stick anyones name on a poster along with the line " the worlds best DJ" and the crowds will flock. no matter how good/crap they are.

of all the top 100. how many have had a record released this yr into the mainstream chart in whatever country?

no eric prydz
no stonebridge

Barbie said:
Dr Mick said:
From djmag.com:

I see, that explains everything then. I thought it was UK only votes and I could never understand why it was dominated by trance.

Haha "Tiesto? Just where the f*ck do all these people come from.."?

I always thought it was just a Northern thing

Barbie said:
All I meant by that was America is years behind UK when it comes to dance music cos the scene is a lot newer there, hence why a lot of Americans get excited by the like of Tiesto etc whereas he's old hat over here and has been for years unless you're a Gatecrasher kid.
I was in NYC for NYE a couple years ago and the club that had Tiesto had to advertise heavily to explain who he was. That was when he was already the "world's no. 1 DJ" so I don't think US voters contributed so much to his success.

As for the US being behind the UK, we did invent house, techno and garage, dear ;)

And the R&B club phase that's been in the US for a few years now is engulfing the UK and even showing up in Ibiza. Not saying that's a good thing, but true.

17b1e7c1-017c-4609-a623-3d59333e9b4d.jpg

Dj mag top 100 awards party @ MoS - October 27, 2005

no surprise to me, all the trancey cheeseheads on top. personally im a big fan, but i can understand why other DJs might seem/in fact are more technically skilled than the usual suspects. Well well........

Buckley said:
Morbyd said:
As for the US being behind the UK, we did invent house, techno and garage, dear ;)

'Cos inventing football prevents us being crap at it now?
:lol:

USA is even above you in the FIFA rankings.... that's gotta hurt :lol:

but I digress...

No way Roger Sanchez should be so far down the list :evil:

Morbyd said:
I was in NYC for NYE a couple years ago and the club that had Tiesto had to advertise heavily to explain who he was. That was when he was already the "world's no. 1 DJ" so I don't think US voters contributed so much to his success.

And the R&B club phase that's been in the US for a few years now is engulfing the UK and even showing up in Ibiza. Not saying that's a good thing, but true.

I'm not saying all Americans know nothing about dance music when some obviously do (but these are a minorty), the vast majority who I've come across don't have a clue.

Granted things like Chicago House and US Garage all originated in America but that was predominantly in gay clubs which bypassed most Americans. Where are the likes of Louie, Kenny, and all the other 'greats' in that list, they all say that they have greater support in UK and the rest of Europe than they do from their home country which doesn't say much about Americans and their love of dance music.

At the end of the day the club scene has been thriving in UK since the late 1980s with no real sign of dieing, a similar clubbing scene didn't appear in America til years later and has never flourished in the way it has done over here and hence seems years behind our scene.

Dr Mick said:
17b1e7c1-017c-4609-a623-3d59333e9b4d.jpg

Dj mag top 100 awards party @ MoS - October 27, 2005

Hahahahaha

The big PVD fan loving it (probably a relative - or a Yank)

Whilst the bird next to her just gives the w4nker sign!

:lol:

Barbie said:
At the end of the day the club scene has been thriving in UK since the late 1980s with no real sign of dieing, a similar clubbing scene didn't appear in America til years later and has never flourished in the way it has done over here and hence seems years behind our scene.
Wrong... I was in the club scene in the US in the late 1980s and it was thriving just fine.

It's always been a subculture there, though... not a top 40 phenomenon like the in UK. I'm not always sure that's a bad thing, though sometimes it makes it harder to find a good club night.

the list has got NOTHING to do with talent, or general taste of the ubertrendy crowds lol* - but more to do with them promoting themselves and the younger trancekiddies only knowing a few names and therefore voting for them!

Back