Pikes 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Homies on 29 Oct will be good

Looking forward to this too. Just arrived at Pikes - feels so good to be back!

DJ Dribbler playing from 3pm today.

Glad the rain has cleared although lots of flies around as a result.

Ok so I was casually thinking about this and dunno how feasible but wouldn't it be pretty cool if the most Pikes enthusiastic members of this forum could get together to do a pool 'takeover' one day next summer? Might be kinda fun to give different forum members 45min-1hr each on the decks. Obv would require A. the venue's agreement. B. enough enthusiasm on here and C. people all committing to the same date, but if SPL pitched a date with them and ran it similarly to the Space gathering, would there be any takers? I think it's one place where you wouldn't need to be a pro, could just rock up with a USB and just indulge your personal tastes and the result could be quite interesting, no?

Ok so I was casually thinking about this and dunno how feasible but wouldn't it be pretty cool if the most Pikes enthusiastic members of this forum could get together to do a pool 'takeover' one day next summer? Might be kinda fun to give different forum members 45min-1hr each on the decks. Obv would require A. the venue's agreement. B. enough enthusiasm on here and C. people all committing to the same date, but if SPL pitched a date with them and ran it similarly to the Space gathering, would there be any takers? I think it's one place where you wouldn't need to be a pro, could just rock up with a USB and just indulge your personal tastes and the result could be quite interesting, no?
You woken up in a good mood?

Id be well up for attending, not necessarily playing though...

I'm sure it'll come to nothing but just putting it out there. I found the vibe there last month very friendly and down to earth and my experience of London forums BITD was that these set occasions worked really well in pub basements, both as icebreakers and musical showcases too. Obv a planeride is a bit different to a busride home so would require real commitment and some early planning. No shortage of DJs after that gig!

I originally had two different venues in mind as potential candidates for that, but hey, it's actually a pretty good idea this! :)

I would be up for doing something. I think the DJ bit will struggle to get clearance, but certainly a meet up somewhere would be good. I am there for Clockwork Weekend as things stand...I'm sure there will be more...

"He's nailed the vibe so well" - a friend on her first visit to Pikes

It was such a good set! Russ (DJ Dribbler) said he had recorded it and will upload. I’ll post it when he has.

Lovely to see you as well! Currently looking into changing our flights so we can make the Halloween party!

Yes please!

Anyone going over Halloween weekend? I’m there Saturday night with my mrs and two other couples, we’re assuming people go quite big with fancy dress?

Yes & yes! Went to Pikes Halloween in 2014 and everyone was dressed up. Some really inventive, plus out there, costumes.

Anyone know of somewhere in San Antonio for adult costumes? (As in adult sizes, not sexy!) The places I can see online are more for kids. I know of a couple of places in Ibiza Town but not sure we’ll get over there before Sat.

yes please!

Ok, thinking about this more closely, I'd say there are TWO ways of approaching this:

EITHER

- everything is centred around ONE venue (ie Pikes - or one of Stivi's other options) where everyone convenes at the same site

OR

- TWO separate events take place at different venues on the same weekend, perhaps catering to different music/crowds/ day v night vibes (reflecting the fuller diversity of the forum - FGP goes left, 'old farts' turn right etc)

Either way, I reckon a daytime thing would be better in so far as an afternoon jam is likely to be more relaxed and under less pressure - and maybe easier to secure? If anyone wanted to bring a guitar, maracas or sing or something, perhaps that could be accommodated too?

How to go about this? Well here are some 'back of a matchbox' ideas I had over lunch.

1. Select preferred dates. The first stumbling block. Potentially awkward. I think the best scenario is here is that someone on the staff throws out some possible dates and puts to a forum vote, perhaps including 2nd round preferences in a knockout. If a certain % of the forum [insert figure] still cannot agree, then we call it a day and this post never happened and page 14 of the thread self-destructs.

2. Upon agreeing dates there should then be a rollcall of people who would definitely want to DJ [+ likely wives/husbands/waifs/associates in attendance, to get a rough idea of numbers.]

3. Determining who plays & when. Perhaps at this point the staff could draw separate lots, also factoring in the general level of interest. If the response is half-hearted, then the dream ends HERE [although there is nothing to prevent a casual pre-arranged turnout regardless as Ibz Paul suggested above]

4. Upon agreeing the dates, the number & identity of DJs, these could then be sorted into:

- A. one lineup for that ONE session at that ONE venue
- B. TWO lineups divided up between TWO venues according to music/vibe/age/other

5. Approaching the venue. Again it could all unravel at THIS point [maybe better to take a punt on the venue first and just see who turns up but feels riskier to me].

Personally I think the only rules should be that:

- it is a strictly free/'amateur' event [albeit maybe with SPL branding/support?] and not hijacked by anyone else.
- it should NOT feature any DJs who aren't a regular forum contributor (at SPL's discretion)
- all attendees must respect the venue, music policy (you know the score at Pikes), timeslots, equipment etc
- any historical online 'history'/beef/tension with other forum members is temporarily parked in the interests of having a good time
- the event should be completely inclusive - all members of the forum from all international contributors alike

Anyway, just a few rambling thoughts. Feel free to trash / improve on / roundly ignore.

Welcome to The Haunted Hotel!
Pikes has been abandoned and the stench of death has crept in. Graves litter the gardens and horror hangs heavy at every turn. From deep beneath the earth, tainted and twisted souls rise up and ensnare our once idyllic home.
FIND OUT MORE

Dine with us
Pamelas will be transformed into a Satanic banquet hall with our Haunted House Band providing a sacrificial soundtrack to a frighteningly tasty 4-course set menu.
Darkness and deception linger between every course - expect the unexpected and prepare to be horrified. After the meal our reviled resident DJs, Willie Graff and S/A/M rise from the dead and take us through the witching hour and beyond!
FIND OUT MORE

Drink with us
Whether it's one final fling with the Homies crew, devilish DJs on our Sunset Terrace or Yikes on Sunday you're after - we've got options to suit all tastes and flavours.
Pick your poison and join us for our last weekend.
FIND OUT MORE

Sleep with us
Book an exclusive hotel stay package across our Halloween closing weekend.
There will be music. There will be madness. There will be mayhem and there will be the macabre but on All Hallow’s Eve we wouldn’t have it any other way….
FIND OUT MORE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back