Pete Tong

Seen him DJ a few times over the years, Cream in the early days and then festivals later on. He never looked particularly comfortable on a bigger stage which is a problem when he's the 'headline DJ', I would have liked to have seen him at Pacha though, that would be perfect.
Of course I listened religiously to the radio every week of the 90s to hear the essential new tune, it was the start of the weekend for a generation of clubbers and genuinely had its finger on the pulse tunes wise. It was slightly easier when the new releases arrived in a post office van rather than 100,000 emails on a Monday morning.
But why oh why did he let them release that first Cream Live CD? It is truly shocking.

He is a big networker. He gave genaerations
of clubbers the oppurtunity to hear sounds , which are new. He was and is urgent for the whole scene.
We had a similar thing in germany : HR Clubnight . It was urgent for the clubs and also Ibiza : The people went to this strange Island , where they played this music from the radio. And they went to the clubs ( omen , gray , music hall ).
Sa

Just came home to those Ibiza Proms on BBC 4 LoL
I’ll do a respectful disagree on this one. I was there that night, and for a tenner and with zero expectations, it was really very very good.

Thing is, that now it has been done so much by so many, the original doesn’t seem as good as it did in the night, particularly when tickets are £80+ and in a soulless hellhole like the O2. I had a great time.

Plus, the draught beer at the RAH was Asahi, at the time cracking stuff.

I’ll do a respectful disagree on this one. I was there that night, and for a tenner and with zero expectations, it was really very very good.

Thing is, that now it has been done so much by so many, the original doesn’t seem as good as it did in the night, particularly when tickets are £80+ and in a soulless hellhole like the O2. I had a great time.

Asahi ?

It was supposed to be a one off wasn’t it for an R1 anniversary? I had tickets but couldn’t go in the end. Agree that the concept has now been saturated but the RAH is a magical venue and watching it back it seemed decent. Issue I have with Tong’s orchestra is a lot of tunes they do aren’t really Ibiza related, things like Rudimental or Seal just don’t fit but guess they create more of a show.

aren’t really Ibiza related

ugh...

seriously, who determines what is "Ibiza-related"? the music you're into? the music I'm into? the bands in McCrackin's live music thread? the 'desert sound' others champion? it's all wildly different and all has its place... but some of you seem to think the world starts and ends with bigroom 90s R1 dance anthems that you never quite let go of...

ugh...

seriously, who determines what is "Ibiza-related"? the music you're into? the music I'm into? the bands in McCrackin's live music thread? the 'desert sound' others champion? it's all wildly different and all has its place... but some of you seem to think the world starts and ends with bigroom 90s R1 dance anthems that you never quite let go of...
So what club or venue in Ibiza have you regularly heard played Seal Crazy or Rudimental’s Feel the Love? I’m not even sure those examples are even dance records. And that R1 thing was a dance related event.

Back