Pete Tong - 20 years on radio 1

I think you guys have all got it wrong (hah) about Pete's weekly show.

I think it serves it's purpose exactly, which is to play new music (a lot of first plays) to a big audience covering a fairly wide list of genres. On top of that I think he has a good voice and personality for radio.

Sure I can see if you are mostly just a trance fan or mostly just a techno fan there are other choices out there that would better suit your desires, and many of those are actual mixed music shows, but for the newest and widest variety of music I challenge you to beat the Essential Selection. I mean in many cases you can't beat Pete because he has the records sent to him from the djs before anyone else in many cases. Not bad for a 50yr old dude

I have been a regular listener for a while are really one of the only things that I notice that the show lacks is trance. Because he supports all sorts of house, techno, and even prog and dubstep. Really there isn't much missing

i couldnt agree more.

if im going out on a friday night then ill more than likely listen to a mix or radio show similar to the type of night im going to. maybe adam beyer or something like that.

but if im not going out now i quite enjoy listening to pete on a friday and the range of stuff he plays.

i still think it has that "coming together" vibe from all those years ago and he must still be bringing in the listeners if hes survived 20 years on radio 1.

I also should note I listen online, as you probably have no idea how different it is in other countries where we don't have any radio shows on FM radio that even compare

Don't see the point in getting ready to go out listening to a radio show littered with genre's I hate. I'd rather check Rico's latest uploads on soundcloud

I'm of a similar opinion as bazilba. also you can't beat Rico's soundcloud page! quality. how does he get so many mixes?

that's the point tho. back in tha.....there was only one place to listen to the music, so love it or hate it, we waz innit 2gever!

like mix tapes in the mid 90s, they got passed around and recorded and studied and learned and shared. when a track from one of those tapes went off in a club, it was such a communal thing that it meant more.

now 10% listen to rico, 10% listen to Ra podcast, 10% listen to x, y, z. the scene is disjointed to that extent and i smile the idea of anything that brings people together. tongy's friday are a great example of that, or were at least.

that's the point tho. back in tha.....there was only one place to listen to the music, so love it or hate it, we waz innit 2gever!

like mix tapes in the mid 90s, they got passed around and recorded and studied and learned and shared. when a track from one of those tapes went off in a club, it was such a communal thing that it meant more.

now 10% listen to rico, 10% listen to Ra podcast, 10% listen to x, y, z. the scene is disjointed to that extent and i smile the idea of anything that brings people together. tongy's friday are a great example of that, or were at least.

+1
There is no right or wrong just what you enjoy or have available.

Are they doing classic essential mixes on 6 Music now? I keep hearing some trail, but not clear whether it's a one-off or a series. I suppose I could check their website. :lol:

the only bbc I ever listen to is radio 4 on occasional saturdays for the lunchtime news/debate - and there was a time when I never thought I'd ever say that! :lol:

for music

my default mode is beatsinspace, deepfrequency, the occasional RA mix, the warm podcasts, chris coco's mixcloud (no d/l available alas), the buzzin fly show, bill brewster's podcast, ibiza sonica, the xpress II show, my-house-your-house (I think they're based in the midlands?) and one or two others that I find on my itunes + endless downloads off the blogs for the car. Not all of these in the same week obviously

itunes changed everything imo - it's impossible to keep up with the sheer volume of channels now. It would be nice to have an umbrella channel to provide a pick/mix of the best of all them but such is life. Radio 1 long ago gave up on anyone aged over 30 so you were in sense, forced to look elsewhere

6 Music is good and some very late night R1 ain't bad either: Rob Da Bank, Gilles Peterson, Benji B (? the guy who's taken over from Mary Anne Hobbs). But most of R1 and all of R2 are shockingly horrible. I have a feeling there might be some okay d'n'b/dubstep on 1extra, but don't have time to investigate - can't much be arsed with 'urban', 99% of hip-hop, etc.

I'd rather listen to stuff on the beeb to escape ads.

Last edited by a moderator:
there's a bit of a campaign to get weatherall on to radio 1 as the new peel but I don't think R1 could quite handle Weatherall :lol: wouldn't fit into their bland format-led view of the world. Peel would never make it on to the station these days which says it all! I respect Gilles and love his sets and festivals but whenever I get sent the link there's not much happening on the show I like I cdn't hear elsewhere. Radio 1 is over for me. Which brings us back to Tong and Grego's point about the lost unity and the fact everything is atomised. That is exactly how it is. Thanks for the memories but seeya.

Really? I think Rico's and nightclubber.ro's uploads are a similar thing only with much more selection.. plus you get people kindly id'ing all the good tracks with their little comment bubbles. I know a lot of my mates listen to the same and often you'll get a youtube link on facebook of tracks from these mixes that everyone feels a bond with :D ok it's not as natural as passing around mixtapes etc but once upon a time we bit the cords of our newborns to seperate them from the placenta.. moving forward is not such a bad option :)

Back