Pete Tong - 20 years on radio 1

s

Please note - Robbie G is 100% certain to pick Xpander!:D

Ha Ha id rather stick a needle in my ear tbh ;)

Id probably pick man with the red face off that list, notable mentions for Hideaway, Music Sounds better with you, battle Weapon 8 and Big love

I last saw him at Ministry about 5 years ago and he was shocking, mixing off a laptop and still train wrecks all over the shop. He also appeared to be indulging in some form of chemicals and when he finished just walked off with his headphones still on and some one had to take them off him and turn said laptop off

I last saw him at Ministry about 5 years ago and he was shocking

Indeed - absolutely shocking (thankfully wasn't there but...)

In an industry where people like MAW and Francois K turn up at the venue the day before to spend hours testing and perfecting the EQ balance that's a ridiculously poor show.

(I LOVE that main room. :eek:)

Indeed - absolutely shocking (thankfully wasn't there but...)

In an industry where people like MAW and Francois K turn up at the venue the day before to spend hours testing and perfecting the EQ balance that's a ridiculously poor show.

(I LOVE that main room. :eek:)

It was one of thos nights where i was out for a drink and one thing led to another and next thing i knew we walked in to Ministry! Its was a very poor show from Tongy!

I love that room too!

basically all DJs of a certain vintage grew up at the same time with the same influences

and then they self-segregated into two tribes

the ones like Tong and Oakenfold and Jules smelt the dollars in the 90s and thereafter saw it as a career - whatever 'love' they had was sacrificed a long time ago at the alter of fame

the ones like weatherall, harri & dom at the subclub, the ones who kept it underground are the ones who are still relevant today and still at the forefront

this is not say that Group B are in any way morally superior to Group A - merely that the music, the music, the music was always concern #1

basically all DJs of a certain vintage grew up at the same time with the same influences

and then they self-segregated into two tribes

the ones like Tong and Oakenfold and Jules smelt the dollars in the 90s and thereafter saw it as a career - whatever 'love' they had was sacrificed a long time ago at the alter of fame

the ones like weatherall, harri & dom at the subclub, the ones who kept it underground are the ones who are still relevant today and still at the forefront

this is not say that Group B are in any way morally superior to Group A - merely that the music, the music, the music was always concern #1

i think carl cox is unique in being able to straddle those categories. also, i think coxy is the only 'older' DJ who is really truly relevant today.

some like kerri chandler have come back into the fold at circo loco and stuff, but it's on a much smaller scale (not a bad thing btw).

yeah i guess. some have come back into fashion (maybe never went away) like carl craig, who is more popular than ever.

but still not coxy!

Digweed and Garnier i would say are defo still relevant today....as well as the US jocks mentioned like Chandler etc

Digweed and Garnier i would say are defo still relevant today....as well as the US jocks mentioned like Chandler etc

ok, but the acid test is do they still appeal to new people on the scene.

kerri yeah cos of the circo loco thing, garnier for sure a bit.

but not in the same way as cox.

for diggers i'm not sure how big his 'young' appeal is.

ok, but the acid test is do they still appeal to new people on the scene.

kerri yeah cos of the circo loco thing, garnier for sure a bit.

but not in the same way as cox.

for diggers i'm not sure how big his 'young' appeal is.

True mate.....a good point regarding the appeal to the younger crowd.

I suppose another debate is how relevant the likes of Tannzmann, Luciano etc etc will be in 20 years time....

True mate.....a good point regarding the appeal to the younger crowd.

I suppose another debate is how relevant the likes of Tannzmann, Luciano etc etc will be in 20 years time....

well exactly, obviously the natural order of things means that young replaces new. unless new does something pretty special or really truly keeps at the forefront. even then, the fact they've been around forever kind of counts again them on that point cos it's hard to associate new/innovative/underground with someone established.

again, coxy, almost unique IMO as far as that's concerned. proper big dog.

Considering this list is for non UK records as well it's extremely poor. I would choose Jaydee, Gat decor, Bassment jaxx- flylife, Alison Limerick,David Morales (only if it's not the vocal version) Hardrive - deep inside, Cassius - 1999 all 3 Daft Punk tunes and Stardust then I'm going to be really anal and say whoever compiled this list failed to realise that Dj Mehdi's tune is called Signatune not Signature.

I found Tongy's show by mistake switching radio stations back in 1994 when I was 15, The first song I remember was T-empo - Saturday night Sunday morning . Aged 21 I went to see him in Godskitchen at the institute in Birmingham and watched him clear the dancefloor. Poor Tongy. But still we didn't have any other outlets to liste to this kind of music where I'm from back in the early 90's unless you were old enough to actually go clubbing so for that I'm thankful to Tongy

I had never heard of Diss Reaction so I youtubed it, I have 4 words - WARNING dont do it

well exactly, obviously the natural order of things means that young replaces new. unless new does something pretty special or really truly keeps at the forefront. even then, the fact they've been around forever kind of counts again them on that point cos it's hard to associate new/innovative/underground with someone established.

again, coxy, almost unique IMO as far as that's concerned. proper big dog.

in more ways than one!!!

he basically should have quit when he was on top. The show got stale and became a self-parody- the resident adviser generation wouldn't touch R1 now and the ed banger fans have got annie mac.

Annie Mac may look cute and have reasonable enough taste (from what I gather), but she is excrutiatingly annoying to listen to. Never really listened to Tong extensively but he doesn't have the same annoyance factor as just about everyone who's on R1 these days.

Back