Pete Tong - 20 years on radio 1

big love or maybe the man with the red face OR maybe plastic dreams (sounded majestic at plastics last week)

20 years wow - that show was a real inspiration to me in the early days (pre-internet, pre-mobile phone, pre-digital radio, a lifeline to sanity in parochial england - it feels like a very long time ago) - house-wise his selections were never as interesting as the pirates in London but nevertheless it introduced so much varied music acid-jazz, eurobeat, proto-trance, strictly, fresh fruit, cowboy, perfecto, you name it - it's easy to sneer at what followed, but his shows then were massively important to me.

would love to get my mitts on the old shows - I used to plead with him on that wretched forum to get hold of them, but I fear they're all lost forever

I remember the first Pete Tong Essential Selection show I listened to.

He played "Raving I'm Raving" by Shut up & Dance. :lol:

Voted for Alison Limerick - Where Love Lives as it's the track that stayed in my record box the most years.

:)

Pretty crap having such a narrow list - would have been better if people could choose freely.

Anyway, chose Xpander. Love love love that track despite not much liking trance in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete Tong and Judge Jules first got me in to non-commercial Dance music about five years ago. They are a good starting point for the rest of the genre.

Voted for Café Del Mar, as I think it's an amazing track.

Pete Tong and Judge Jules first got me in to non-commercial Dance music about five years ago. They are a good starting point for the rest of the genre.

ooh you tuned into Radio 1

well underground maaaan

amazing really.

just another chapter in the unbelievable adventures (and impact) of acid house.

as for tongy, 100% i was a weekly essential selection (and mix) tape recorder, he always played the predominant sound of the time, through piano house, speed garage, tribal, prog, etc, etc

fair fcuks to the geezer, an actual legend.

oh and i'd prob pick flylife or RIP groove as that's when i started listening to the show avidly.

he basically should have quit when he was on top. The show got stale and became a self-parody- the resident adviser generation wouldn't touch R1 now and the ed banger fans have got annie mac. his show is all a bit redundant given the sheer scope of competition elsewhere. Whereas once it brought people together, now we're all atomised and in the main a lot older. He should really keep his dignity and instead move into soundtracks or write books - his memoirs would be very interesting as he has seen it all, although he doesn't have quite that cult appeal that Peel enjoyed or that mad element Nightingale still has - the writing is surely on the wall as far as radio 1 goes - maybe a classics show on 6 though would work?

some good tunes on that list....some big records (not surprisingly, cos we cannot have everything in list of 50) missing though too.

Tong's show used to be THE place to hear the new records, pre internet and mobiles etc etc. 6pm Friday night - i wonder what the first tune is gonna be -. i remember the first time i heard Stardust on there, quality.

From that list - Xpander, the 2 Underworld tracks, the Le Cont mix of What Else is There, and cheesily the Morales track are the ones that mean the most to me from the list.

Please note - Robbie G is 100% certain to pick Xpander!:D

he basically should have quit when he was on top. The show got stale and became a self-parody- the resident adviser generation wouldn't touch R1 now and the ed banger fans have got annie mac. his show is all a bit redundant given the sheer scope of competition elsewhere. Whereas once it brought people together, now we're all atomised and in the main a lot older. He should really keep his dignity and instead move into soundtracks or write books - his memoirs would be very interesting as he has seen it all, although he doesn't have quite that cult appeal that Peel enjoyed or that mad element Nightingale still has - the writing is surely on the wall as far as radio 1 goes - maybe a classics show on 6 though would work?

Has anyone actually enjoyed hearing him play though?

I was a gurning (discerning) teen and still thought he was rubbish...the very early 90s mixes were good (but even Jokenfold had it back then).

His 2000 debut on the Space terrace was passable and his Creamfields '97 slot was kinda ok but aside from that *phrrrrrt*.

Voted Robin S- Show me love.

Reckon they will be playing this track for a long time. Great lyrics and a happy uplifting vibe.

Always thought, that compared to Judge Jules, Pete Tong was Royalty when it came to dance music bringing respect and prestige to the English scene.

I was a gurning (discerning) teen and still thought he was rubbish...the very early 90s mixes were good (but even Jokenfold had it back then).

His 2000 debut on the Space terrace was passable and his Creamfields '97 slot was kinda ok but aside from that *phrrrrrt*.

nobody worth their salt would deny he is a spectacularly crap club DJ

whichever year it was on the Space Terrace when he opened with Comfortably Numb (Scissor Sisters) and played U2, Felix - Silver Screen Shower Scene, Cassius - Sound of Violence etc etc was a great set and a great night in general.

Note - I am aware reading back of those tracks that it sound s dreadful!! But was good at the time!!

I also heard him play Music by Madonna for what felt like 150 years at Creamfields once!!

whichever year it was on the Space Terrace when he opened with Comfortably Numb (Scissor Sisters) and played U2, Felix - Silver Screen Shower Scene, Cassius - Sound of Violence etc etc was a great set and a great night in general.

Note - I am aware reading back of those tracks that it sound s dreadful!! But was good at the time!!

I also heard him play Music by Madonna for what felt like 150 years at Creamfields once!!

Yeah I remember that. The scissors never sounded so good! 8)

defo miss that 6pm friday feeling.

essential selection intro and tongy telling you the weekend starts here.

like has been said before, you knew that anyone else out there with that same feeling you had at the time, would be listening and getting bang up for the weekend.

100% brought people together. now it's totally split between podcasts and online radio and bla bla bla.

yeah, i'll have to pick space 2000 as my fav tongy moment.

rob - passable? you would go back there in a second if you could! ;)

rob - passable? you would go back there in a second if you could! ;)

fu(king right I would.

Space terrace circa 98-01 = never witnessed anything like it in my life and never will again. :eek:

...but with the exception of luminaries like Frankie Knuckles, Kerri Chandler, Dennis Ferrer, Danny Krivit, Francois K, Joe Claussell, Louie Vega or Kenny Dope...

...all these people do is play records. :rolleyes:

It's all about the dancer so let's not face the booth and get caught up in celeb nonsence.

Back