Overrated moi? Es Vive Hotel

D

debiba

"the place to see and be seen at" If only I had seen that laughable claim before I booked. It would have put me off without even needing to see the gaff. Very simply, the rooms are small and noisy and furnished with impeccable Ikeaness, lack storage space and even the sea views are only sort of. The staff lack charm and I would suggest experience, edge towards the snotty, and most of the preening punters are hilarious. It was worth going just to see all the posturing. I went on the recommendation of a friend from last year who confirmed thay have already racked the prices up by 70 or 80 euros but why? Its near Space/Pin UP etc, er what else? the nosh is OK (not the breakfast) but don't take advantage of extras the bar staff might offer. Rubbish. I guess you have to admire them for pulling it off, I give it a big fat zero. For the same cash you can stay somewhere that will stay in your head

I thought it looked quite naff when i first set eyes on it last year. Luckily they've done it up a bit since. I'd consider staying there if mates were but I don't think it would be my choice.
The only real advantage is that it markets itself at people going to the island to party which makes schmoozing by the pool a viable option. (I hate being around families from Barrat estates in the middle of nowhere wearing beige and looking sensible)
The area is absolutely bloody awful though!
I hate that stretch of Playa d'en bossa soooooooo much!

I loved Es Vive, our room was pretty big, yeah very minimalistic style furniture but give me that over chintz any day of the wk. We only ate there a couple of times but the food was lovely. The pool area was great for sunbathing and the location was fine, Space/Bora Bora 20 mins one way and Ibiza Town the other. Re sea view I posted that when I got back in my review it's not worth paying for one, I wouldn't in future years.

We found the staff there really friendly and really sorted us out.

My criteria for hotel is no beer-boys, no kids, air-conditioning, good music in day, nice food on hand if you want it, and Es Vive met all those criteria.

Any criticisms I would have is the restaurant should stay open later than 7pm if you want anything to eat and the rule about no drinks from outside round pool is a bit petty.

Babs, we look for the same things as you describe so should be ok.

I do hope debiba is over-reacting :confused:

I expected seeing pretentious peeps all around, but I find these types amusing. However, still way better than kids and footie shirts.

DrewUK said:
Babs, we look for the same things as you describe so should be ok.

I do hope debiba is over-reacting :confused:

I expected seeing pretentious peeps all around, but I find these types amusing. However, still way better than kids and footie shirts.

To be honest I found the people so friendly at Es Vive, it is the kind of place where we'd come in from club and there would always be people sat up outside at Bar who you'd start having random conversations with.

I didn't see any pretentiousness at all really, just lots of like-minded clubbers generally aged mid 20s upwards, that bit older crowd as to what you would get in San Antonio. And definitely no kids or football shirts :p :D

Barbie said:
it is the kind of place where we'd come in from club and there would always be people sat up outside at Bar who you'd start having random conversations with.

Oooh we like the sound of this bit lots and lots!!!

Robder said:

The added bonus was that there was always someone (just the one mind you :p ) that was in a worse state than me :p :lol:

Hurrah! Someone agrees with me that its overrated! I have already had a rant about it. Another thing I forgot. The coffee at breakfast was out of a machine yuk! Expect better than that.

redbird said:
Hurrah! Someone agrees with me that its overrated! I have already had a rant about it. Another thing I forgot. The coffee at breakfast was out of a machine yuk! Expect better than that.

Don't drink coffee so wouldn't know, to be honest I think I only had breakfast twice and that was just to get some ammunition before Space on Sunday and it didn't look much but then breakfast is wasted on me wherever I am staying.

Robder said:

Tis funny as misus and me love that area!! Ideal location for access all areas (except san an). Spose it's a good job we don't all like the same hotel/ area :lol: :lol:

:D :D :D

Robder said:
Barbie said:
it is the kind of place where we'd come in from club and there would always be people sat up outside at Bar who you'd start having random conversations with.

Like that too and always found it at Ancient People. :D

I stayed at the hotel last month after carefully considering what I was looking for: like minded people who were friendly but knowledgeable, great pool area, near the action but tucked away a little, and a laid back vibe that kept the party going. No doubt, the rooms are spartan and I found them small. The second room we had with a balcony was splendid, however. I found the people to be generally very friendly (Barbie and her beau, Dance4Life, guys I met from SF etc.), but it may have been that I was there at a good time. I met plenty of others and I found it very easy to approach people and just hang out around the pool. Sure, there seemed to be some posturing and perhaps some not so approachable people, but it never detracted from my experience, but instead made for good conversation fodder. The food I had was excellent, and the no-food-from-outside policy rankled me (is it not enough that we get jacked inside the clubs?). I only note that, because it was my first trip to the island, I have no real point of reference. To sum it up, it was fairly expensive (but worth it for my first trip), the other guests were great, the staff generally friendly, the rooms small + plain, and easily the best part is the pool area.

debiba said:
Rubbish. I guess you have to admire them for pulling it off, I give it a big fat zero. For the same cash you can stay somewhere that will stay in your head

Can you please elaborate because i'd like to know some other places to stay. I stayed at EsVive this year because it was my first time and i didnt know any better. I'm not saying i didnt like it cause i was quite satisfied, however, if there are better places for the same price then i'd be interested in knowing for next time.

Robder said:
I thought it looked quite naff when i first set eyes on it last year. Luckily they've done it up a bit since. I'd consider staying there if mates were but I don't think it would be my choice.
The only real advantage is that it markets itself at people going to the island to party which makes schmoozing by the pool a viable option. (I hate being around families from Barrat estates in the middle of nowhere wearing beige and looking sensible)

Where do you or have you stayed Rob? Where do you recommend?

Cheers! :)

Hey Andy (and Dan) I've stayed in various places over the years and imo Es Vive was the best in the sense that no kids, no beer boys, good crowd, 24 hour bar (very important to me :p ), decent food and on right side of island.

The Bahia in San Antonio hotel is really nice but is on 'wrong' side of the island if you are going to spend most of your time at Playa den Bossa and Ibiza Town and you end up spending all your time/money in taxis. The hotel used to be exclusive to Ministry and in 2000 the Ministry pre-parties were there and you'd get a good crowd. Now it is advertised in other brochures and you will get a few kids and the like.

I've stayed in hotels which were ok, 3*, but had the disadvantage of kids and families and 'normal' people. Palmya Hotel in San An Bay is one, we had a lovely room there one year part of the hotel but one of the rooms right by the beach next to the pool. Unfortunately this meant that when we got back in from nights clubbing and sat outside our room chilling and knocking back the wine we used to have staff from the hotel coming round trying to get us involved in beach volleyball :eek: :p :lol:

I don't rate Jet, it's a great location but some of the rooms leave a lot to be desired :rolleyes:

I will let you know what Bali Beach apts are like when we get back in Sept as they look lovely on the site and are just down the beach from Jet.

Two other really nice hotels I would like to stay at are Ocean Drive (but the thing that puts me off that is you have to travel to beach) and Pikes (but I am saving that for my honeymoon lol :p )

The other option is to get villa, I've never done this just cos you need to have a car and I'm not fit to drive :rolleyes: :p and my Keeper doesn't fancy it, he'd be alright on straight roads but says he wouldn't know what to do when he came to a roundabout :p :lol:

must admit we did meet a couple of top randoms at the bar there but we were mainly plotting our escape and shamelessly gossiping. and the staff were not that bad, just slightly confused about who is servicing who

and do you really think you are going to tell me I can't bring a queso boccadillo, some oat crunch and a bottle of vodka into my own room. nix big b, try and find em

i agree with Barbie and others about some stuff, ie the requirements for Ibizan fun (no San An muppets, families and associated loud noise/distraction in the post club haze although 1 answer if in trouble is to go to a carry on then bora bora/Pin Up and then go to bed at the normal time - just a day later.

and I concede it will work for some but it is horribly overpriced. at the end of the day you could wonder into that pool area for a nap, have a listen to tans comparing the size of their guestlists and then clear off without having to stay there. i want to meet party people, what Ibiza is all about, not people who talk about the party

Ocean Drive knocks it into a cocked hat, service, style, views, ambience. the rooms apart from the high sea views are not remarkable. its just better withour trying. its also damn hard to get into so I don't mind mentioning it. i dare not mention any others for fear of them getting constantly overbooked as well. drop me a quiet line if you dare to trust my bitching judgement. apologies for sounding like such a whinger - not always willingly I have stayed in far too many hotels so feel vaguely qualified

Andy P

If i ever stay at Es Vive i'n gonna wear an England shirt and sit by the pool drinking stella :p :p :p :p

I usually go for a private apartment, you get the benefits of a villa like your own place,kitchen,sat tv,hi fi etc and usually pool but it's right in town/or just outside so no need to drive. You can get the apartments above Coastline for about £400 per week and they sleep 3-4, not bad.

debiba said:
must admit we did meet a couple of top randoms at the bar there but we were mainly plotting our escape and shamelessly gossiping. and the staff were not that bad, just slightly confused about who is servicing who

and do you really think you are going to tell me I can't bring a queso boccadillo, some oat crunch and a bottle of vodka into my own room. nix big b, try and find em

i agree with Barbie and others about some stuff, ie the requirements for Ibizan fun (no San An muppets, families and associated loud noise/distraction in the post club haze although 1 answer if in trouble is to go to a carry on then bora bora/Pin Up and then go to bed at the normal time - just a day later.

and I concede it will work for some but it is horribly overpriced. at the end of the day you could wonder into that pool area for a nap, have a listen to tans comparing the size of their guestlists and then clear off without having to stay there. i want to meet party people, what Ibiza is all about, not people who talk about the party

Ocean Drive knocks it into a cocked hat, service, style, views, ambience. the rooms apart from the high sea views are not remarkable. its just better withour trying. its also damn hard to get into so I don't mind mentioning it. i dare not mention any others for fear of them getting constantly overbooked as well. drop me a quiet line if you dare to trust my bitching judgement. apologies for sounding like such a whinger - not always willingly I have stayed in far too many hotels so feel vaguely qualified

Andy P

OK, i've heard enough!

I'm starting to get worried now :confused:

Barbie said:
DrewUK said:
OK, i've heard enough!

I'm starting to get worried now :confused:

Drew, seriously everyone I met at Es Vive was lovely, so friendly, hardly any attitude in sight.

Thanks, i trust your judgement ;)

The main things for us are: No kids/ordinally folk, 24 hour bar (not that we're alcoholic or anything :rolleyes: ), clean functional room, nice pool area, acceptable food or better.

I disagree with those who say its expensive. Try doing some searches for ordinary apartments this side of island and the prices aren't much different.

At the end of the day your hotel's just a base.

:eek:

Im going there tomorrow.
I AM gonna have a good time.

just try and stop me.......

Back