Out Of Curiosity-

I reckon if they ever re-cast Faulty Towers, Olly and Naked Age would be ideal castings for Basil and Manuel.

I could just imagine Olly loosing it every 5 mins with Naked Age. "Its not a Siberian Hamster....its a rat!"

this thread

images

Just what I was thinking. Had Friday off so missed all this.

God I'm glad I don't get on here much, look at the time people waste!

In fact, where does one find the time??

This Olly chap seems like a rum one I must say :eek:

P.S. Hi Chews, Pups and JJ. How YOU doin' ;)

Hello Drew - *waves

Not coming on here much anymore now either........

will mail you later. x

Say it again..:idea:

easy to see then, that if agreeing/disagreeing on the finer points of a small umbrella catyegory of the greater all encompassing marquee that is dance music, can quickly escalate into playgroundesque cyberspace name calling, how same disagreement over some 2000 year old middle eastern fairytale can escalate into centuries of conflict!!

Just because people disagree doesn't mean they can't live in peace. Its just someone always has to be a stupid bitch until they get their ignorance served to them on a plate :D

So, this thread served it's purpose, I have learned there is a techno following here... Now the REAL question is asked.

How many of you enjoy that crap minimal ****? :p

YOU ARE NOT MY FRIEND!!! WE ARE NOW ENEMIES!!! :D No but, ok what do you see in it?

Because heres the thing, the Techno I like is VERY repetative and hypnotic and I can completely understand how it would drive people nuts, so, one mans trash is another mans treasure (as in this situation) so, what is it that minimal Techno does for you that makes you enjoy it? (I'm only asking because I don't personally see it, but I'd love to give anything a chance)

Well for me it was the first kind of techno / 4/4 dance music I really heard and then got into.Ive listened to harder and older stuff and personally didnt like it as much. Also I think ppl use the term minimal abit too broardly. Some of it is pretty boring of course but I find its the sort of music thats meant to be played around with so sets by someone like LocoDice can have very "minimal" tracks within them but the set is overall is , dare i say it , quite banging!
Also some tracks I like not because they are hands in the air , rush of euphoria stuff but more just really weird noises that make u go uurggghh or even laugh. In fact the main thing i take away from going to parties that play "minimal" is that everyone basically dicks around alot , acts like kids and has a really good laugh. Maybe its jus funny to watch ppl on ketamine?:lol:

Maybe Ill get round to uploading one of my favourite mixes which is from Hawtins Dex n FX tour recorded in Vienna I think quite a few years ago n u can see what u think?

See to me, Richie Hawtin is the devil :eek:

But I get what you mean, because I wasn't an EARLY, EARLY tech head. I KNOW people were listening to it before I got into it and then when I listen to what THEY like I say "wow it's so basic and bad, it sounds really poor"

And I can completely get that people will have that across ALL of dance music. They asume their little neiche is the first kind because it's the first they were exposed to.

I think it ties in alot with Dj's having to change their sounds and **** to suit the times of what people are making, like, even when I hear Dj's who play a traditionally OLDER format of a subgenre, Ie: Deep House as opposed to say Electro House, (deep being the older) even the deep house they play has a new aged tinge to it. You can tell it's been made by new talent trying to capture the old sounds with new technology and to extent I think Minimal Techno was a similar result.

Techno cleaned up the dirt that Hardcore and Acid left on it, and kind of put a tuxedo on and had a shave and the result was Minimal.

Techno definately has a place for weird and wonderful noises I just think different era's have different takes on utalising them

Techno cleaned up the dirt that Hardcore and Acid left on it, and kind of put a tuxedo on and had a shave and the result was Minimal.

None of "minimal dons" is coming from either; Loco Dice's backround is hip hop, Villalobos' more experimental and check what Luciano was playing in 2003:
R-150-227059-1076150501.jpg

I have to agree with Olly; you talk too much.

You agree with Olly? Care factor zero :lol:

So, these Minimal stars came from other back grounds, I can understand maybe thats why traditional Techno was too hard and full on for them, and thus they stepped in to clean it up and make it into Minimal by the looks of it.

Those 3 names you mentioned tho, I've heard of them but never researched them. You gotta understand, I don't like minimal.

Minimal to LISTEN to, isn't AS bad. I think it makes great background music. When I'm at work I put alot of like, Mixmag Cd's on and stuff that are full of it, just as something to fill the air, not to pay attention to or anything, and that, I will admit it's brilliant for.

But when I go out to it (And I have), it's bored me to tears and I've had to leave and alot of the people on the dance floor have said the same thing and when I've gotten talking to them they all said "Its nothing like it used to be".

It's intelligent music, I'll pay it that, but, I just think ignorance is bliss.

ONE MORE WEEK TILL MY BIG NIGHT!!! :D I'm excited. I got my clamps yesterday to hang lights and snow machines and **** from.

Of all the replies you had to say that one :)

Ok, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm going to attempt to explain this as simpley and respectfully as possible.

I've never been to Dc 10. I've never even left my country. Now, in other threads I've been hacked at for criticising video I saw of Dc10, where, I said "it looked boring."

Before all everyone starts with the comparisons and cliches, (You can't compare a bad quality 2 minute video to an actual night being there and all that. Which, I agree, is true,)

All I have to base my judgement on is that video I've seen or, maybe live setts that have been recorded there and so forth. I only have what is presented to me via other mediums as a representation of Dc10. Based purely on those representations put forth by other individuals as their own personal interpretations of Dc10, I must say yes. I think if I were to go to Dc10 and be put in the situation which I saw others in on these videos, and be made to listen to the music I heard and so forth, I would be so bored I would be forced to leave.

But that's only if my experience was like the ones being put forth by the people in those videos etc. It really did look agonisingly boring. But that's just me.

And we do have Minimal events here and I have been to them here and they are tremendously boring. Infact one gig I threw once, another organiser organised the majority of the Dj's for this one particular beach party and it was when Minimal was fresh and new and intellectual and all that and it just drove so many people away from this gig. It was a disastor. Mind you, at the next one when I organised more Dj's and they started playing more, not like energetic Techno or anything, because it was predominately a house gig. But like, some of them dropped a cheesey tune in here and there, the others played deep or jackin stuff, I think one DJ did play Techno at the end, the only ones who complained about it being cheesey and mainstream and all that were the minimal-heads.

It almost feels as tho minimal fun is literally, minimal fun. As if you can ONLY enjoy minimal and NOTHING else or you can enjoy EVERYTHING else EXCEPT minimal.
It's just not my scene sorry mate.

I'd seriously MUCH rather a commercial, top 40 club playing 50c and Rihanna and, Eye Of The Tiger and stuff to a night club event centred on Minimal. ... If someone said "lets go for coffee" and the cafe had a minimal Cd on, no problems. But as music to have fun and dance to, it does nothing for me

It almost feels as tho minimal fun is literally, minimal fun. As if you can ONLY enjoy minimal and NOTHING else or you can enjoy EVERYTHING else EXCEPT minimal.
It's just not my scene sorry mate.

haha no need to be sorry , like u said its jus not your scene , im not trying to convert anyone.
I definitely do like alot of other types of music and dance music , not just "minimal".

obviously dc10 was unique but for the purpose of this discussion it shows how in the right setting , music u might consider boring is far from that. I think this applies to most ppl who have been and i would put a healthy wager that if u had gone you would have loved it and possibly not even noticed that the music was kinda minimal.
I think the term minimal is abit broad , perhaps u might consider some of wht im talking about to be house or techno. i would say minimal is a style of producing rather than a whole genre , surely u could have a minimal breakbeat track etc?

Personally when ppl ask what music i like / play i say techno. We obviously just differ in what we are prepared to call techno. im not really interested in proving what the truest techno is etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Back