ok whats the deal with the selfies backlash???

I really don't think that sounds like an excessive amount.What do other spotlighters think? Is that Typical/More/Fewer than your normal night out?

I guess it all depends though... are you your squad's head photographer? or do you all chip-in with photography duties?! Suppose it's still not that bad if there's 3/4 of you. But a dozen... hmmm, different story.

Were these just kodak moments? or did you utilise the wand as well?

That is not excessive at all, If I took any I would take maybe one or two (if I remembered, its just not hard wired in to me I suppose).

This thread has had a similar end result to this youtube clip

I haven't taken a photo on a club night for a couple of years, the last outing to see Ben klock was surreal, not a phone or camera in sight bar the one the promoter organised. It's been a long time since I've seen a place go for it like that, although I think crowds at techno nights are superior to house anyway maybe that has something to do with it. It's normally a more mature knowledgable crowd in my experience, I never got a picture of the night :eek:
Klock thanked Nottingham for a sweaty underground rave :cool: no one shoving cameras in his face or ruining the vibe I had forgotten how it felt to experience that stripped back feeling was like 1999 again for one night only. :)

I haven't taken a photo on a club night for a couple of years, the last outing to see Ben klock was surreal, not a phone or camera in sight bar the one the promoter organised. I think crowds at techno nights are superior to house anyway maybe that has something to do with it. It's normally a more mature knowledgable crowd in my experience, I never got a picture of the night :eek:
Klock thanked Nottingham for a sweaty underground rave :cool: no one shoving cameras in his face or ruining the vibe I had forgotten how it felt to experience that stripped back feeling was like 1999 again for one night only. :)

fabric is pretty much the camera-brigade at the front of the DJ box waving their phones in headline DJ's face until about half 3/4am. Then all the tourists head home and it's the music lovers who see out the closing hours just havin' it.

It's why I'm such a proponent of their reduced 4am admission policy. No point arriving beforehand. Arrive later, pay less and catch the best hours of clubbing. Perfect.

I know a lad who went in August with his Mrs and a pink selfie stick ffs :rolleyes:
They updated Facebook around 10 times a day at edm shows and used the hash tags #life #is #much #better #on #the #island yet they only stay in San an or bossa and go nowhere else and think they're cool as f*** uploading constant updates at Ushuaia ffs. He told me you have to follow the times and crowds in Ibiza for the best experience :eek: reckons I'm like an old hippy for saying he's part of the problem with the vibe being lost in the place.

I know a lad who went in August with his Mrs and a pink selfie stick ffs :rolleyes:
They updated Facebook around 10 times a day at edm shows and used the hash tags #life #is #much #better #on #the #island yet they only stay in San an or bossa and go nowhere else and think they're cool as f*** uploading constant updates at Ushuaia ffs. He told me you have to follow the times and crowds in Ibiza for the best experience :eek: reckons I'm like an old hippy for saying he's part of the problem with the vibe being lost in the place. Maybe I am...

I really don't think that sounds like an excessive amount.What do other spotlighters think? Is that Typical/More/Fewer than your normal night out?

I guess it all depends though... are you your squad's head photographer? or do you all chip-in with photography duties?! Suppose it's still not that bad if there's 3/4 of you. But a dozen... hmmm, different story.

Were these just kodak moments? or did you utilise the wand as well?

I previously mentioned that I definitely don't think there's anything wrong with pics (a few), I've taken a bunch myself in the past but it's usually when we arrive and then the phone is secured away! My gripe is this increasing trend of videoing for prolonged periods, it's a total vibe vacuum being stood next to some tw@t with their hand permanently in the air videoing - especially when they get the huff on if you dare to bump in to them!

I previously mentioned that I definitely don't think there's anything wrong with a few pics
My gripe is this increasing trend of videoing for prolonged periods, it's a total vibe vacuum being stood next to some tw@t with their hand permanently in the air videoing - especially when they get the huff on if you dare to bump in to them!

Agreed. I think - after much deliberation and playing of devil's advocate - that we are now all singing from the same hymn sheet. Yes?

People holding their phones up in the DJ's face for an hour+ does kill the vibe and is inappropriate smartphone use IMO. You should be there to dance not to be a film crew. Don't have a problem with people doing group photos though.

30 years ago being a DJ was all that glamorous. Any insurance salesmen out there waiting for their time to shine... just need to play the waiting game! :twisted:

It's not about techno v house crowds (there is big overlap, both in terms of music and clientele) - the real division is between people who go to a night because they want to be seen and those who go somewhere because they love music and the community around it. I think in East London in particular, you'll get the idiots at events which are heavily advertised on social media, whereas the genuinely cooler crowd hear about things word of mouth precisely because those promoters want to keep it discreet.

In a way, social media is a double-edged sword. Golden publicity but it means you have no idea who will turn up at your events..

The secret is to build up a scene where you know everyone. The hype self-perpetuates. If everyone knows everyone, any dickheads that infiltrate will stand out and won't return. At plastic people there was one official photgrapher and that was it. No poseurs, no selfies, and no awkward finger in mouth shots being beamed around the world...

Back