ok whats the deal with the selfies backlash???

Tbh if you really needed it spelled out to you in intricate detail why these things are annoying, it just further underlines that tha yoof of today have lost a lot of the imagination compared to generations that proceeded them.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that using one of these thing in a tightly-confined space intended for dancing might be considered annoying, and why.

Advances in technology should encourage imaginative development, not stifle it. Sadly the latter is too often the case. It just creates emotionless drones.

I'd point to Jaded as an example.

Probably by the time ppl make it to Jaded, even the Instagram-bregade don't much fancy publically broadcasting their frazzled condition ! :lol: But seriously, that's a good example of somewhere the crowd who go are predominantly no-piccy bregade. Bedrock is another, hardly ever any cameras there even when it was at XOYO. World Unknown when I went there in yrs gone by had a no-photo policy. Some pricks still flouted it though - DJs should feel free to take their shirts off in a sweat box without their dad-bods plastered all over a Group Facebook page with a load of personal remarks the next morning - the whole point of banning photos is so people can relax and be themselves in a non-judgemental environment without being subject to trial by media in relation to their perceived lack of body tone :rolleyes: !

All were cracking parties with great crowds, all self-regulating in terms of photo policy. It's the bigger clubs and those with a fancy-prance crowd a la Ushuaia, Ocean Beach, Gerber gigs etc. you get most of the happy snapping - clearly peeps don't feel they're getting ENOUGH exposure for all the time, effort and money they spend on themselves from those around them, so feel the need to extend the audience as widely as they can :rolleyes: :D

This has been the liveliest debate on here for months ... but I've really enjoyed it.

Well something has to liven up the quiet Season !

Tox has a no photo policy, I was going to get a photo of the sign. Lovely vibe in there btw Kent dude.

Cnut comments aside, I did used to actually quite like the Ibiza club rules of a few years ago, where there was a no camera rule, if you were seen photographing the camera would be taken away from you, which was great in the sense that it kept the club somewhat secret (as secret as a Ibizan superclub can be!), try looking for photos of Amnesia in the early 2000's when the terrace still had the glass roof, and there are very little, if any!

They are not a lot of pics of the glass roof because camera phones were rubbish at that time and like a small brick in your pocket.

Perish the thought that one of you took a picture of Plex in a club, at night !! ..... I hope it didn't kill your vibe . Good on you both, especially Stivi.

They are not a lot of pics of the glass roof because camera phones were rubbish at that time and like a small brick in your pocket.

Wrong. They actually enforced a no-photo policy. Security would physically confiscated your phone/camera and made you delete photos in front of them before making you put said item in the cloakroom (at your own cost, of course). This is only going back 2-3 years.

Cameras on smartphones were in existence all those years ago!!! and even though they weren't nearly as advanced as today's smartphones, most people compensated for this by having a separate camera. I know, sounds atrocious in the old days, doesn't it?! ;)

Last edited:
Isle boy you need to read, understand, think and then write a response ...

A) They never confiscated, confronted me or made me delete anything.

B) Re-read my first paragraph

A) They never confiscated, confronted me or made me delete anything.

Happened to me twice, once in Space, once in Amnesia, these were in the days where I would take a camera on holiday with me as well

Was only a few years ago that Amnesia still made you put cameras in the locker

That and I didn't take as many as I do nowadays TBH, the screen was 2" X 2" and pixel quality was 1 meg if that.

Plus I had I had no one to post to :)

That and I didn't take as many as I do nowadays TBH, the screen was 2" X 2" and pixel quality was 1 meg if that.

So it really has been technological advances which has fuelled your desire to stop dancing :eek:

Advances in technology should encourage imaginative development, not stifle it. Sadly the latter is too often the case. It just creates emotionless drones.

Haha I like that isle boy

Thinking about it, for example, I took 3 pics in a 7.5 stunt at Lightbox on sat and looking back 4 at Coxy closing in Space . It takes me as much time to take a pic as it does you lot to get a pill out, drop and take a swig of water which is also in part why I wanted the members to debate the merits of selfies etc on here, as that's how long I stop dancing for and it doesn't kill my vibe.

Bottom line, yes techno advances have Defo helped me take more pics. Convenient, quick and captures a moment I want to look back on.

That Quadrant video have me massive, massive goose bumps. A bit before my time and I feel quite gutted for once I'm not a bit older!

Kimajy,
I do accept it and I think your piece is well written.

I accept that a group of you don't agree with people that take photo's in clubs, I've no problem with that, however if you put that on a forum and other statements like " you look like a c&£nt " people have the right to challange you ask why or as in my case explain that it doesn't bother me at all. Only you and discodotty could do it, the rest was a mixture of sarcasm, thinking I was some other member, 1 line statements and a kid who compared picture taking with stealing drinks, farting in a club and hassling women.

This has been the liveliest debate on here for months, some of you really don't like being called out on your views, but I've really enjoyed it.

Have to say i think he's talking some sense here lads. time to let it go

I took 3 pics in a 7.5 stunt at Lightbox on sat and looking back 4 at Coxy closing in Space

I really don't think that sounds like an excessive amount.What do other spotlighters think? Is that Typical/More/Fewer than your normal night out?

I guess it all depends though... are you your squad's head photographer? or do you all chip-in with photography duties?! Suppose it's still not that bad if there's 3/4 of you. But a dozen... hmmm, different story.

Were these just kodak moments? or did you utilise the wand as well?

Back