ok whats the deal with the selfies backlash???

It's not just the punters taking selfies and video's now Ollie.

Prof photographers are being employed to take pictures throughout the evening, from Lightbox to Space, there is a demand for photo's now.

The culture has changed

, try not to quote others or say " majority in a club" as you have no idea what the majority want.

I evidently have a better idea than you, young chap. ;)

There are plenty of nightclubs which cater to you youngster who don't care about the music, and can play silly buggers all you like. If you stick to these places then by-and-large we won't have a problem! :D

Sigh....iam beginning to think you are just one of the "cool kids"

Pfft! As if! :lol:

It's not just the punters taking selfies and video's now Ollie.

Prof photographers are being employed to take pictures throughout the evening

Please, please, please do not put yourselves in the same boat as professionals who are paid to do a job. It's insulting to their profession.

The very fact that they are there to take photos of the event in an official capacity means that you shouldn't feel the need to.

So we should leave them to take photos (they're bound to be better quality) and tag yourself on their Facebook page?

I really do think this 'debate' is exhausted, we can summarise the points as follows ;

• Category 1 : Individuals that spend their time in clubs taking selfies/photos/videos and are oblivious (selfish) to category 2 types
  • Category 2 : Individuals who are there to enjoy the music / dance are irritated by category 1 types

It's you going around in circles:

"I think... I think... I think... I think... I think... I think..."

You're just a selfish person. But that's fine. You aren't alone. We've lived with selfish people before, I dare say we can cope with 1 more.

If you are in a club Louise, dancing, having fun with your pals, maybe on chems...how can someone taking a picture, selfie or a video iratate you ? How do you even take notice of these people?

For me if I'm on a dance floor surrounded by people that are standing still and more interested in them selfs than the party and the music it has a huge effect on me because there is no energy or atmospher around me I want to be on the dance floor with people loosing it to the music the same as I am not looking down at me because I've accidentally bumped into them. For me the music will always capture the moment better than any picture can. Hearing a song again years later that was played in a club can still make the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end and send me right back to the time I 1st heard it a picture of me in a club will never do that.
The dance floor is for dancing if people want to take pictures that's fine just don't stand on the dance floor doing it

For me if I'm on a dance floor surrounded by people that are standing still and more interested in them selfs than the party and the music it has a huge effect on me because there is no energy or atmospher around me I want to be on the dance floor with people loosing it to the music the same as I am not looking down at me because I've accidentally bumped into them. For me the music will always capture the moment better than any picture can. Hearing a song again years later that was played in a club can still make the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end and send me right back to the time I 1st heard it a picture of me in a club will never do that.
The dance floor is for dancing if people want to take pictures that's fine just don't stand on the dance floor doing it

At last !!! Someone has taken the time to to think first then answer the question, an excellent response which I totally get. Your personal view. Thank you

Some people will just never get it.

Dirk you " keeping out of this one" didn't last long....

You have used a clubbers video recording in a club to try and prove a point, the irony isn't lost on me. Priceless

Good clip though

I normally like to take in a camera on a tripod too with a big cover to keep myself and the film in darkness. Other clubbers don't seem to mind as they dance around me. It gets even easier in the VIP area as no one is dancing anyway so I can take plenty of pictures without getting in the way.

Are folks ok with my 'fetish'?

Dirk you " keeping out of this one" didn't last long....

You have used a clubbers video recording in a club to try and prove a point, the irony isn't lost on me. Priceless

Good clip though
There is irony of an irony there btw. There are literally 3 or 4 videos in existence (online) of this place.
just search "quadrant park" and "proper clubbing"

just 2 days ago i saw someone accidently clobber a girl in the face with their wanker wand in central london , it must happen all the time as tourists seem to have zero spacial awareness on busy streets!

Kent kid, you just need to accept there are some of us who don't want to see people waving phones or cameras about EVER on a dancefloor and have a very dim view of people who do. That ain't going to change and so you'll need to go your way and we'll need to go ours on this. What we (rightfully) resent is one group (the piccy-takers) crowding out the piccy-haters and trying to dominate everywhere and change everywhere to their way of doing things. That isn't right or fair. Some places have to take a firm line on all this, sadly in the increasingly fake, plastic world that Ibiza clubbing is becoming none of the venues have the guts to do it - they favour all the Youtube publicity more because they don't actually have enough credibility to attract and sustain in one short Season each year the sort of scene which bastions of "real clubbing" in year-round city locations do.

Ibiza clubs rely on herdes of sheep passing through dripping money they may or may not actually have to spare, their judgement impaired by overpriced booze (and the rest) whilst the hype created (mainly by a few ridiculously overpaid and overrated sync-button monkeys) becomes self-sustaining. And if those walking wallets want to spend their night waving a smartphone about no-one running these clubs cares as long as the punters filling their venues keep spending money and making the club-moguls richer and richer. None of that is actually anywhere near the sort of "Quadrant Park" experience of years gone by (using the rare clip above as an example) - it's something completely different and a big loss to the clubbing community as a whole.

It would just be nice to see more venues taking a zero-tolerance line on filming and photos in clubs, with punters focusing less on trying to look glamorous on Instagram and more on losing themselves in the moment. We used to joke about the odd "bunch of posers" who showed up every so often, now they are everywhere you look, not effortlessly stylish - just cliched and stylised ! It's something maybe the younger generation are accustomed to, having been brought up on it, but so much has been lost in the media-saturated world that has developed there are fewer and fewer refuges to actually get away from it all. I am just sorry that many will seemingly never experience the "other way" and so will carry on ignorant of what it really means.

Kimajy,
I do accept it and I think your piece is well written.

I accept that a group of you don't agree with people that take photo's in clubs, I've no problem with that, however if you put that on a forum and other statements like " you look like a c&£nt " people have the right to challange you ask why or as in my case explain that it doesn't bother me at all. Only you and discodotty could do it, the rest was a mixture of sarcasm, thinking I was some other member, 1 line statements and a kid who compared picture taking with stealing drinks, farting in a club and hassling women.

This has been the liveliest debate on here for months, some of you really don't like being called out on your views, but I've really enjoyed it.

It would just be nice to see more venues taking a zero-tolerance line on filming and photos in clubs

I think the onus is now on promoters & venues to take this approach, and i do think we will start to see more of it.

However, at the very best parties (not necessarily the most popular) that still exist it isn't a noticeable problem so far as i can tell. I'm sure it still goes on to a degree. I'd point to Jaded as an example.

Arguably their popularity has dwindled in recent years because of various factors: being forced to move venue, increased competition. But the crowd are well-informed and up-for-it. Particularly vs. the new kids on the block (Dawn, Abode etc.) You're unlikely to get a name on the line-up a casual clubber will recognise (bar some last minute secret quests! :twisted:), but the quality of the music is never compromised.

There is a bastion of hope.

Last edited:
Back