ok whats the deal with the selfies backlash???

C

chepeibz

Las year i was there and everyone took pictures everywhere I went.

This year my party buddy went and didn't take one picture, or maybe he is making it up. I didn't press on the deal.

The crux of the matter is with the backlash against the selfies and group pictures. In the dancefloor. I could sense that in his review of his trip to me. At least partially.

I remember being at Sankey's and everyone took room pictures and group pics and of the dj. In other places too, such as space, destino.

What is the big bother?
People want to take memories away with them. I can see if the camera has a big shining light and it bothers your eyes.

But otherwise it is such a harmless practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, it completely kills the vibe of the dancefloor, I want to see everyone enjoying the moment together, dancing, smiling, lost in the music. When someone is stood dead still either filming the set, taking a selfie or otherwise showing zero interest in whats happening it really brings me down.

What's more important? Having the time of your life, or Instagram?

Las year i was there and everyone took pictures everywhere I went.

This year my party buddy went and didn't take one picture, or maybe he is making it up. I didn't press on the deal.

The crux of the matter is with the backlash against the selfies and group pictures. In the dancefloor. I could sense that in his review of his trip to me. At least partially.

I remember being at Sankey's and everyone took room pictures and group pics and of the dj. In other places too, such as space, destino.

What is the big bother?
People want to take memories away with them. I can see if the camera has a big shining light and it bothers your eyes.

But otherwise it is such a harmless practice.

People take photos to show off to their friends on facebook etc. Look at me! Look at me! It totally ruins the vibe. The whole point of clubs is that they're supposed to represent some form of mystique and escapism from reality...

To a lot of europeans going to ibiza is like wasting $1000.00 on a 5 day trip to vegas to certain north americans.

Obviously people (a lot of young people) want to see the world...(that includes europe)
Thus recording memories are important to at least some of us. And who cares if people flaunt in facebook??? - damn! - people flaunt in Ibiza! just go to Ocean Beach!, heck people flaunt in Bora-bora and that isn't supposed to be such exclusive place. So what is the deal about the counter-culture of recording memories?.

if anyone says something to me (if I decide to come this time to ibiza) I will deal with them- harsly. I have a really really good memory and part of my Canadian nature is being tolerant, not socially inflexible to the point of housing ethnocentric overtones of behaviour that are passed as fads. Utter stupid, not being able to take a small selfie that your friends can give a few likes in facebook.

Everything evolves..... Media culture is here to stay.....unfortunately.

It's all about the music and the people.

maybe I am making too big of a deal.

but i had an incident last year at sankeys in which i was insulted for no reason whatsoever about this practice and we were not even in the dancefloor ( I think I was singled out) . As the french in Quebec say: Je me souviens - I remember.

Just try taking a sneaky selfie in Berghain ... you'll be unceremonially thrown head first out the back door and blacklisted. Very few places have the guts to carry on banning cameras or use of phone cameras in clubs - and the vibe is usually so much better in those which do. Cameras in the basement are typically frowned on in Sankeys (or at least were at Viva Warriors a couple of years back last time I went there) - a bit like Bedrock nights in UK. If the culture is camera-free then respect that or go somewhere else. Like Ushuaia or tINI & the Gang where waving phones about and posing for Instagram shots is the order of the day.

For me, can't take more than a short time exposed to people waving cameras about and usually in the end I get fed up and leave if there's too much of it going on. If people trying to bring all that into dance-dominated clubs like Sankeys get a hard time from other clubbers or security than I've no problem with that. Keep the cultures apart so people have a choice. Posing for holiday snaps in every last place is not fair or considerate. Believe it or not, some of us get put off going clubbing at all by all of this and don't like being around other people doing it. Bring back the camera bans. I'd have no problem with banning cellphones either. When you go inside leave all that behind and enjoy the experience properly at the time. Basically - dance or f**k off.

This is dance music after all, not music to take photos to, or music to drink £50,000 bottles of champagne to. I've got no problem with people taking a group photo at a bar or restaurant, but in the middle of a club where people are trying to dance and have a good time? Its narcissism and its selfish

Put the cameras away! After all, are we here to enjoy ourselves, or to make a documentary? lol.

cameras1.JPG

Last edited:
Och I don't get the whole selfie thing but I don't mind others as long as it's not excessive. Although I do wonder how we survived 15-20 years ago with no mobile phones! If you were in a pub the girlfriend would call and say "is so and so in?" Cue hand gestures across the throat indicating "I'm not here!"

Last year in Sankeys a girl beside me was filming with the light on and had her phone pointed towards for a good 5 minutes, blinding me. Should have thrown it to the other side of the room for her.

Don't understand the hatred for the odd picture when on the dancefloor tbh, some people like having pictures to look back on and to bring back memories. Agree if it's constant it's a nuisance but don't think there should be a blanket ban on them

It's fine in moderation, If you went the Camp Nou you would take a picture, if you went to St Pauls Cathedral you would take a picture, so if you are in Amnsesia or Space it's hardly a probably, these are world famous institutes. Places where when your older you can look back and say i went there?

tumblr_nkc891DcPu1s2yegdo1_400.gif

You only really need to have your mobile with you just in case you lose your mates and need to contact them.

To me, it completely kills the vibe of the dancefloor, I want to see everyone enjoying the moment together, dancing, smiling, lost in the music. When someone is stood dead still either filming the set, taking a selfie or otherwise showing zero interest in whats happening it really brings me down.

What's more important? Having the time of your life, or Instagram?
1450697_10201213637763956_1060076003_n.jpg

Back