ok whats the deal with the selfies backlash???

It's fine in moderation, If you went the Camp Nou you would take a picture, if you went to St Pauls Cathedral you would take a picture, so if you are in Amnsesia or Space it's hardly a probably, these are world famous institutes. Places where when your older you can look back and say i went there?
I think the general snobbery is aimed at those that are taking 10 minute videos or barging folk out the way stopping them from dancing so they can have a picture. Space have that wall where you can have your pic I quite like that, always a civil queue of folk and can leave my phone in my pocket for the rest of the night plus you get a momento. Absolutely no need for constant filming and barging out the way of dancers to suit your need to video it all.
This isn't just Ibiza though is it? It's a scene thing maybe I'm/we are just getting old ha ha

i think they compleatley dont get it tbh..Its not just about the Dj..its the club..the vibe..the tunes..the people,it just makes them look like day tripers that dont know whats going on i think...I was talking to a bunch of camera phoneys in the outside chill out bar at defected,they knew none of the recent tunes,didnt know the Djs and one was proper dissapointed that there wasnt more singing on the music tonight like his compelation at home because all house music has vocals on it right lol...He was going to leave early anyhow..just grab a few more pics of the Dj not moveing first ha ha

I just don't understand paying that money to watch it through your hone screen. It isn't limited to clubs. I went with a mate to see Noel Gallagher at the weekend. Half the crowd watched it through their phones. Is it not much better to live int he moment and enjoy it. I'm not against a momento but are you really going to relive it all through your phone. Most likely it gets forgotten.

Reminds me of when I was younger, my dad stopped filming my sports days. Nothing to do with the fact I'm an awful sportswoman, but he said he wasn't enjoying it because he was too focused on getting it on film. There was no enjoying the event for what it was.

I dunno. I like the whole photo screen at Space, let people take a picture. But I can't go trying to dance and having phones in my face. I also have the fear that my disco face will end up on someones camera. Nobody wants to see that.

tumblr_m7y0l6n8ir1r6bcjno2_500.gif

In the good old days (before smartphones) the big clubs used to take your cameras off you when you went in, so you couldn't take photos.

If you're getting up to a little mischief, you don't want any evidence to come back and haunt you ;)

i usually take 1 or 2 pics every night when im in ibiza in a club..but its usually when i arrive ill take a picture from the back, where everyone isnt really dancing, or if im at a bar waiting for a drink and it has a good view of the whole room. but if im in the middle of the dance floor or "in the mix" i wont. i think the best practice is to take a group picture with your friends before you get on the dancefloor or when youre leaving and youre in the back ready to walk out..thats where youll have the best view anyway for the background of your pic...and you dont really piss anyone off

In the good old days (before smartphones) the big clubs used to take your cameras off you when you went in, so you couldn't take photos.

If you're getting up to a little mischief, you don't want any evidence to come back and haunt you ;)

I'm guessing the clubs dont do this? I was just about to ask that question . I'm going back after a 7 year absence! I defo want a momento as its my 30th when im there

Over the years Danny Tenaglia has come under fire for various hissy fits but he saw this problem coming a long time ago and tried to ban cameras from the dancefloor when he was playing. A few years back in Space he came on, went onto the dancefloor and posed for a few pictures then asked people if they would leave their camera's / phones in their bag.

Slight digression...The whole selfie thing has gone fricking mad, few weeks back in Rome, walking around the Colosseum, spent half the time dodging half wits with their selfie sticks. Pray that the Lookie guys don't make the selfie stick the main sale item this year!

Went to Rainbows 11th birthday on Sat in Birmingham and half the crowd were looking at phones and not dancing - to Loco Dice - WTF!!

Just back from a short break in Venice and I kid you not if the selfies in Ibiza are even at 10% of the level in Venice then it will still be too much!

People climbing onto gondolas on the grand canal. Not even seated and at it! Just sit and enjoy the view for goodness sake. First time round (albeit years ago) the gondalier offered to take a picture then we could sit back and relax and enjoy the experience.

Sadly Venice has now been spoiled a bit by being swarmed by "photo photo" men selling selfie sticks amongst other tat.

Anyway rant over was still a good trip. Great weather and fantastic scenery (although very busy).

i saw a bloke stop 3 times walking down the street to get a good selfie the other day. buzz killington

A local guy doing his daily exercise by the beach in figuretas last April was attempting selfies with his vest on by the walkway.....:D
Asked me if Id take a pic and made me take a few while he posed and tensed, shook my hand for ghe effort he was very pleased with my skills ha ha

Last time I was in Pacha a guy right in front was filming for half an hour. A member of staff told him to put it away and said "ok that's enough!!!". In Amnesia practically 1 in every 10 was holding a camera phone and standing stiff for the entire night. Hardly anyone was clapping because they couldn't. It spoils the whole mood.

The DJs and dancers on stage are there for our enjoyment. Providing a service which we pay for to get us in the mood to dance and have a good time. They are not supposed to be stared at, filmed and photographed like special exhibits on display in a museum. Nightclubs should be enjoyed with the naked eye and ear, and not through the lens of a camera with poor sound and shaky video.

It's hard to 'move with the music' when you are surrounded with 'trees of people' holding their phones in the air and filming the exact same thing as the person standing next to them! I've never understood what the pleasure is, doing this? Is that why they came, to show the world that they came to the hottest club just to hold a phone and shake it about wildly?

They should be banned, but I'm hoping people see sense before it ever gets to that. It may just be a passing fad. I never take my phone with me. It represents a world I want to get away from, hence my reason for coming to Ibiza in the first place, only to be greeted with hundreds of the dam things as soon as I enter a club. LOL.

Last edited:
Back