ok whats the deal with the selfies backlash???

Still don't agree Kimajy, to me and all my pals it doesn't affect us at all, and it certainly doesn't kill any atmosphere in places I go. We don't even notice it.

If someone pays 60 euro or 15 quid for a ticket they should be allowed to take any photo they like of them having fun. I don't know any DJ or promoter who has an issue with it.

Sure I've seen the groups of 18 year old girls taking 100's of selfies outside Mambo, and 1 girl videoing herself dancing in Sankys for 5 mins but I don't give a monkeys and it doesn't spoil it for me, hell i even do it, Bysie at Coxys closing And JPW AT Magna.

Still don't agree Kimajy, to me and all my pals it doesn't affect us at all, and it certainly doesn't kill any atmosphere in places I go. We don't even notice it.

If someone pays 60 euro or 15 quid for a ticket they should be allowed to take any photo they like of them having fun. I don't know any DJ or promoter who has an issue with it.

Sure I've seen the groups of 18 year old girls taking 100's of selfies outside Mambo, and 1 girl videoing herself dancing in Sankys for 5 mins but I don't give a monkeys and it doesn't spoil it for me, hell i even do it, Bysie at Coxys closing And JPW AT Magna.

That's just it though - it's about YOUR perception, YOUR selfies and YOUR outlook, being so self-absorbed in your own preferences that you can't even understand why someone else may feel differently. It's a thing about life today and something which has gone horribly wrong with the explosion of social media.

I guarantee you that if you had your phones and cameras taken away at the door and were forced to go get mashed in a PROPER club where really anything goes, you have to concentrate on the music and talking to other people in the place rather than yourself and your group, you might start to understand why this is a bad thing for a proper atmosphere and how different things are when all that is stopped. There's no risk of being caught on someone's home movie, or Youtube, and no chance of taking anything away beyond the memories. You will notice a change in people and how they interact with the dancefloor and each other. You never know you might just like it !

Basically this thread can be whittled down to 2 separate types of people: those who have consideration for their fellow clubbers, and those that don't.

You. Are. There. To. Dance. Not earn a BTEC in filmography.

Whatever you may think different, I can assure you that you are wrong. :idea:

Last edited:
That's just it though - it's about YOUR perception, YOUR selfies and YOUR outlook, being so self-absorbed in your ownpreferences that you can't even understand why someone else may feel differently...

You need to look in the mirror pal, that quote covers you as well.

Iam not there just to dance, Iam there to make friends, check out the DJ's and the club and to take a picture if I wish , all of which I do regular. I went raving when phone cameras didn't exist and I wish I had photos of those times as well but carrying a camera the size of your fist was impractical.

That's just it though - it's about YOUR perception, YOUR selfies and YOUR outlook, being so self-absorbed in your ownpreferences that you can't even understand why someone else may feel differently...

You need to look in the mirror pal, that quote covers you as well.

Iam not there just to dance, Iam there to make friends, check out the DJ's and the club and to take a picture if I wish , all of which I do regular. I went raving when phone cameras didn't exist and I wish I had photos of those times as well but carrying a camera the size of your fist was impractical.

You're completely missing the point. (Deliberately?) Have some damn respect for other people.

I may like to take selfies/videos/photos. The point is: a lot of people wouldn't want me to!!!! And therefore I don't. It's really that simple. Capishe?

The same goes for any number of anti-social behaviours in clubs. The list is endless.

See also: farting, barging, stealing drinks, pickpocketing, masturbating, harassing women etc. etc.

^^^ Some people believe those thing to be okay, believe it or not. But that fact remains that they are not by the vast majority.

It's nothing to do with my perception. It's social etiquette. It's about RESPECT.

Last edited:
White isle you need to put your dolly back in your mouth, we are having a debate on a forum about selfies in clubs , a debate so maybe you should respect other people's views, but of course you don't have to agree with them, as I don't yours.

I don't know how on earth how taking a picture in any way compares with masturbating' stealing drinks or harassing women but each to their own, you obviously think it does, so yes....defo missing your point on that one.

You are giving your view that people don't want people taking pictures in clubs, but how do you know what the " vast majority" think.....quite simply...you don't.

Just because someone doesn't agree with some of the comments isle boy, it doesn't mean they are doing it deliberately....it means they have a different view

Capishe ??

I am not for one minute insinuating that taking a photo is on par with sexual assault. My point merely being that what some people think is acceptance others (most) do not.

Acting like you're Steven Spielberg in a crowded, confined environment designed for the purpose of dancing falls under that criteria.

If you don't understand that then you're either an idiot, or deliberately missing the point. Which is it?

It smacks of hypocrisy that you say "maybe you should respect other people's views" when you quite clearly do not.

I'll repeat myself: have. some. respect.

Or ill rephrase it: put your wankerwand down, you clown, and start dancing.

You've taken particular offence to the general stance, because you happen to take selfies/use a stick.

But please be aware that this stance covers all activities that could be construed as being annoying/anti-social in a clubbing environment.

It's about using your noggin.

"Could me doing x, y or z potentially upset anyone"

If the answer is "yes" perhaps you shouldn't do it. Or, at the very least, scale back the regularity of you doing it. It's about common courtesy to your fellow man. Or in this case, your fellow clubber.

It's not limited to clubbing either. You should hold the same degree of scrutiny to your behaviour in all social situations. There's a time and place for everything. But somethings are better left in private.

Inspired by this classic thread, Icey:

Another Manumission story although i can't remember what year. The ex mrs and i left the dancefloor went upstairs to the loo she went into the ladies and i went into the gents and arranged to meet up in the dome. I exchanged a sort of hello nod with a bloke as he was leaving and went into the urinals bit. There was a massive thunderstorm going on outside and i stood staring at the lightning while trying to have a wee but i was very mashed and not much was happening.

Turned round and the bloke i nodded to on the way in was stood beside me and he gestures downwards... i look down and he is having a wank into the urinal and invites me to help. I laughed, did my zip up and clapped him on the back on the way out and said enjoy yourself or something

I go upstairs and have a cigarette and meet the mrs and we go back downstairs for a dance. I was so mashed that between leaving the loo and walking upstairs i forgot to tell her what had just happened.

Fast forward 7 years and i'm telling the story to a big group of mates in a pub and the other half says "you never told me that!!!!!" Everyone was very suspicious that i hadn't mentioned it at the time and unanimously decided that i had wanked off a stranger in the toilet at Manumission haha

And no i didn't.

A few DJs like Dixon very outspoken about cameras in clubs. Good on them. Digweed gets fed up with it too - you very seldom see any at a Bedrock night but that's all about the crowd it attracts. Only a few clubs left where you can get physically thrown out for taking a piccy - Berghain, Concrete etc. - and they're definitely some of the best clubs left. No coincidence. Actually Concrete are very polite about it and would just ask you to stop, Berghain would strong-arm you out of the place and make sure you never dared to try to come back if they caught you.

I guess these awful habits have become so prevalent they are now 'normalized' so I'll stick with the "abnormal" thanks. No-one has the right to force other people to accept a culture shift they detest or to say that because the (alleged, often silent) majority of clubbers think it's OK we all have to put up with it. Taking photos which risk catching other people in them is an infringement of their basic privacy and in some cultures they equate it to stealing a person's soul. Taking photos of yourself everywhere is just plain vanity and narcissism, neither of which are qualities I personally feel should be encouraged.

masturbating,

I'm sure cameras wouldn't be too welcome in those clubs where this goes on :lol:

When I worked in clubland i actually recall punters getting thrown out for self-loving surprisingly regularly. Well, it certainly happened more than once!

On one occasion I recall a Sunday night session where the local drug dealer/gangster fraternity arrived with an entourage of strippers, cue a very public live lesbian show.

They weren't thrown out :twisted:

Since when has masturbating in clubs been a thing? It seems a lot more popular these days, especially in Ibiza!

I've never masturbated in a club, nor felt the need to, but there are some, I've seen it happen!

Back