New year, New You!

Ran my first half marathon yesterday in St Albans - was a really hilly course so I was aiming for 2 hours 10 mins - 2 hours 15 mins. Managed 2 hours 4 mins 1 sec and came 1158 out of 2498 runners :D:D:D

Not bad for an old bird who didn't even own a pair of trainers 9 months ago :lol:

well done.

did you enjoy it?

Ran my first half marathon yesterday in St Albans - was a really hilly course so I was aiming for 2 hours 10 mins - 2 hours 15 mins. Managed 2 hours 4 mins 1 sec and came 1158 out of 2498 runners :D:D:D

Not bad for an old bird who didn't even own a pair of trainers 9 months ago :lol:

Great time and in the top half too! 8)8)

well done.

did you enjoy it?

Ohmyword it was AMAZING - I think I am still high from it :lol:

The atmosphere was brilliant and even though the hills were tough, I felt really good from the word go, my legs felt fresh and I think running with people you get spurred on more - I can't wait for my next race :lol:

Ohmyword it was AMAZING - I think I am still high from it :lol:

The atmosphere was brilliant and even though the hills were tough, I felt really good from the word go, my legs felt fresh and I think running with people you get spurred on more - I can't wait for my next race :lol:

I love the raceday buzz! - i would defo recommend the BUPA 10K next May/June - kinda like a mini London Marathon in terms of atmosphere.

Will report back on the Royal Parks Half in Oct (Sponsorship welcome ;))

Finally managed a 6 mile training run without any major niggles at the weekend.

I love the raceday buzz! - i would defo recommend the BUPA 10K next May/June - kinda like a mini London Marathon in terms of atmosphere.

Will report back on the Royal Parks Half in Oct (Sponsorship welcome ;))

Finally managed a 6 mile training run without any major niggles at the weekend.

Well I've got a place for the Brighton marathon next April so I'd like to do another half, then a 16 miler and a 20 miler beforehand - in the meantime I don't want to lose the level of fitness I've got, but don't want to peak so soon, so think I'm going to carry on with a 10-13 mile run at a weekend, then 2 shorter ones in the week, then start up-ping the miles towards the end of the year.

The Royal Parks is meant to be fantastic, I went to apply on the day they opened entries but it was already full :spank:

Runners World says that a pint of lager post run is more beneficial for replacing carbs after a run than just plain water. Therefore I deduce that it would be foolish not to visit the pub post-race.

What about pre-race?

Reading all about you guys has inspired me to get more serious about my running. I have taken it easy for a while on the treadmill. Bought a book at the weekend, "Running your first marathon", tis by an Australian girl and written for newbies like me. She makes it sound real easy though and I am certain it aint!

I recently read a book by Haruki Murakami called: "what i think about when i think about running"

- excellent read, really funny and inspiring. It's about this dude who packs in the the tabs and starts writing and running.

Which is probably the most pitiful synopsis possible. :D

Running wise, i completed the first of two races earlier this month, a 7.5 miler cross country / beaches and cliff tops paths.

Tough terrain, but great to get off the roads. Finished in at 259 out of 1000 on a time of 54 mins. Loved the race, felt elated afterwards. Really chuffed with my time, nothing special to a decent runner, but for me it was a tough benchmark to hit.

Next one is a BUPA 10k in July, which i'm hoping to do in about 47 mins.

Need to look for one later in the year to avoid getting complacent. I find if i don't run every three days, i start to lose fitness really quickly.

Reading all about you guys has inspired me to get more serious about my running. I have taken it easy for a while on the treadmill. Bought a book at the weekend, "Running your first marathon", tis by an Australian girl and written for newbies like me. She makes it sound real easy though and I am certain it aint!

I'm no expert, I've only been running since 2005 (4 marathons, and various halfs and many 10k's), but for my masrathons I always stick with Hal higdon, on his site he has real worl training programmes for novices, intermediates and advanced. He mixes the types of runs around nicely. and I found when I stuck to the plans seriously I stayed injury free and prgressed vey nicely.

But most importantly they are 'real world' training programmes, they fit in with normal day to day living.

I recently read a book by Haruki Murakami called: "what i think about when i think about running"

- excellent read, really funny and inspiring. It's about this dude who packs in the the tabs and starts writing and running.

Running wise, i completed the first of two races earlier this month, a 7.5 miler cross country / beaches and cliff tops paths.

Tough terrain, but great to get off the roads. Finished in at 259 out of 1000 on a time of 54 mins. Loved the race, felt elated afterwards. Really chuffed with my time, nothing special to a decent runner, but for me it was a tough benchmark to hit.

Need to look for one later in the year to avoid getting complacent. I find if i don't run every three days, i start to lose fitness really quickly.

Will have to check that book out mark.

I'd love to tackle cross country, but our terrain here in spain isnt ideal :spank:

Wow Mark you are doing AMAZING :D

Thanks for the book tip - just ordered from Amazon ;)

Back