New Workers Questions and Answers

Hiya, only 3wks to go now, can't wait to get over 2 Ibiza!

In the process of filling out NIE form to take to consulate in Edinburgh. Has anyone else applied from UK? Does it take long to get your number and did you have it sent to your Spanish address or UK address?

Cheers x

My friends got it sent to their English address and it took two weeks to arrive. The actual consulate part took about ten minutes to take the firms in and such.

My friends got it sent to their English address and it took two weeks to arrive. The actual consulate part took about ten minutes to take the firms in and such.

Thanks for the reply, gt in touch with them yday n they said they can send it via email so shud b all good :) cheers! X

Hi guys! I'm interested in finding work and moving to Ibiza during summer season. Any advantage tips and tricks? Is anybody looking for flatmate from the end of may till the end of august?

Hello,

I am looking to work in Ibiza during the summer of 2015, and would like to know how realistic it is to get a bar tending position on the island.

I will be 26 next year, and am fluent in polish (in addition to English), and although not fluent in Spanish I can carry basic conversations comfortably. I am willing to do any type of work need be, but prefer to work as a bar tender and want to be prepared to get the job I want.

1. How hard is it to find work bar tending in Ibiza in general? In a club?

2. What are the chances of getting a bar tending position in June? I am debating whether I should get to the island in early May or mid-June, when you mentioned many employees who can't last the whole summer leave.

Thanks in advance- I appreciate your help!

Kasia

I'd say you should find a bartending job pretty easily. Improve your spanish as much as you can before you get here and be determined and you'll get your bartending position I'm sure.

edit: I'd say EASY in a bar. if we're talking about one of the CLUBS, not as easy and up to a certain extent it really depends on how pretty you are - fact.

That's helpful, thank you!

And in regards to timing my arrival to the island- are my chances of getting a bar tending position substantially greater in the beginning of May vs mid-June?

if you have enough money on the side come start of may. it will take longer until you actually earn something (in most cases) but there's simply still more work available.

hi :)

anybody on here look at going out there solo?

I plan to head out there mid June for 3 month and it would be great to find somebody who is doing the same.

could maybe look at shared accom? job hunt together ect.

Let me know and we could start chatting :)
email:shannenjohnson123@gmail.com

If u go in April would you find work?

as a general answer - yes. but depending on what job you're after, april might be a bit early. if you're looking to work in a hotel, fine. if you're looking to work in a bar or as a PR or similar, don't come before end of april as a lot of places only open up at the start of may. if you want to work with a club or promoter, may is a good time.

If your a worker do u get good discounts on clubs as in Sankey's,pacha,privelge etc?. Also ill be heading out there on the 6th of may, is that a good time? Found cheap accommodation and gonna look for work straight away. (bar work preferably) Do I have a good chance going this early?

workers normally don't pay to get into clubs. that said, it depends on what job you do.

start of may is a good time to get a bar job. the only thing you have to consider is that you'll only really start making money at the end of may.

I'll have a bit of money to last me, I'm good at budgeting and I'm not a big drinker so I think I'll be grand. Would you get a bar job with little experience ( without cocktail knowledge) or are they looking for experienced ppl and if you learn basic cocktail's b4 u go l,would u be OK then? Don't really wanna PR as I done it in Napa and malia and it's long and stressful as employers can fire u anytime if u don't do well every night.

bar managers can also fire you anytime if you don't do your job right ;)

as for experience, I think this varies quite a lot. you might not get a job at one of the high end bars (where lots of cocktails are poured) straight away if you don't have a clue about them. but at the same time bar work isn't exactly rocket science either.

workers normally don't pay to get into clubs. that said, it depends on what job you do.

What kind of workers are we talking about here? I assume PR is one of them but are there any other jobs that will make it easier to slip past the bouncer without much hassle?

Also got a few other questions.

How do employers view the importance of being attractive? I understand that It's a VERY big part of getting employed. But is it alright to be OK? How limited will I be?

How difficult will it be to find employment during mid of June? I will be graduating HS by then and be 18 years old. Do employers find being this young good or do they think it's an age that's too young?

What are most employers view on nationalities? Ibiza seems to be extremely multicultural. I'm born in Sweden and raised by a Swedish community but my family. My origins are in the middle east and you could probably tell by facial features. Even though they are very weak I'd imagine that the average Joe would figure out that I'm not actually Swedish by blood. Is this going to be an obstacle for me and make it harder to connect and network?

I can speak and read English and Swedish fluently and I'm currently learning the basics of Spanish so that I've got at least something to go on. I can make myself clearly understood in Kurdish but can however not write in it. Are these languages good to know besides Spanish?

This will be the first time I go to work abroad in Spain. I've worked abroad in the UK but in a completely different environment. How much money should i bring along to get started? Is 1300€ alright? I'm good at budgeting when necessary such as cases like these.

Regarding accommodation I know this is asked very frequently but when I get down to Ibiza what do I do? Do I go to the Ships Inn and look for other people that want to share accommodations? Or do I book a hotel for a few days? Basically since I'm 18 I'd like to find other people my age to share accommodation. Are there so many that's looking for this that it is possible to be picky about who you live with? It would be very nice to be able to choose who to live with and not. So how common is it that people are looking to share? And how do I go about to find these people?

Or I could skip all of this by getting myself "ripped off" with a workers package. Of which I am very willing to do since it's my first time. I've looked into "AirPro" and "Ibiza Intro". Does anyone have any knowledge about these two companies? Ibiza Intro got me pretty sold mostly because of their website. But AirPro seems to have abit more of a bigger reputation.

I know it's a lot but any input is greatly appreciated!!!

first of all - those 'workers package' will certainly make things easier for you, but yeah...they're run by people who don't just do it for the love of it, but also because they want to make money.

at 18, you will definitely be at the younger scale of the worker's community, but that's not a reason to be put off by I think. as for being attractive, if you want to be a model or a dancer it will of course help if you're a super stud, but as long as you're not the hunchback of notre dame, you'll be perfectly fine to find a job I think. it's much more about the attitude you show. ibiza is very international as you correctly write so no one will care if you're not looking swedish even if you've got a swedish passport. your nationality doesn't really matter all that much in ibiza (but the fact you have a swedish passport will at least enable you getting a NIE which is important to work legally).

I don't think you'll use kurdish a lot. english every day, no matter where and what you do. swedish every now and then. spanish lots of course if you can speak it. you'll find a job in mid june - just be open minded. also, especially if it's your first season, you might find yourself trying out a few jobs until you've found something that suits you.

as for living - 1300€ is a good amount to start with. book the cheapest hostel for a few nights, meet people, find a place to live. again, if you don't like who you live with, you can always change at some point. in many respects the first season is the hardest because you don't know anyone and everything's new.

lastly, almost no matter what job you do, even if it's got nothing to do with the nightlife industry, you'll get to know people that know people that will be able to sort you out for your club nights. maybe not for all of them and everytime, but contacts is the main word.

but as long as you're not the hunchback of notre dame, you'll be perfectly fine to find a job I think. it's much more about the attitude you show. ibiza is very international as you correctly write so no one will care if you're not looking swedish even if you've got a swedish passport. your nationality doesn't really matter all that much in ibiza (but the fact you have a swedish passport will at least enable you getting a NIE which is important to work legally).
Okay cool, finding a job should be pretty easy then!

lastly, almost no matter what job you do, even if it's got nothing to do with the nightlife industry, you'll get to know people that know people that will be able to sort you out for your club nights. maybe not for all of them and everytime, but contacts is the main word.
Nice to get some actual confirmation that there are others that's in the same boat as me! But how careful should i be? I know I should always be careful but this feels like something that I'd might take easy and be more critical of. If i get offered by someone I know that his or her friend is looking to share what should my response be? Should I ask to meet up first? How does it usually go down? And is it usual to mix genders when sharing?

Regarding the workers packages I'm actually considering on doing it since I personally feel that I'd get thrown in into the action even sooner. I do have the finances for it. Money is not that much of an issue here. If I were on a tight budget then I'd probably consider booking a hostel and find work and people to share with as soon as possible. And with the workers package I sort of don't have to worry about that the moment I land of which is a good feeling honestly. Is this OK? Or are these packages scams? I'd be very happy if someone could share their experience since it seems to be absolutely impossible to find reviews of these.

Ibiza Intro had me hands down sold. I've tried to add a package to my basket and check the process. It seems pretty legit but the only country options that are available is the UK and the United states. This worries me if Sweden is excluded (don't know why it would) because then I'd have to go with AirPro. But they don't seem to have the same experience in Ibiza. They also showed that you could pay with PayPal but when I landed on the page where I was supposed to pay there was no option for PayPal. Obvious reason why I'd use PayPal is because of their refund method of which I'd use in case these guys would try to scam my a**.

One other question I have is whether their food commodities are good over there? I'm hitting the gym 6 days a week and I as much as I'd LOVE to eat out all day everyday I can't It'd be nice if there is a high standard of food over there. Not that I expect it to be bad but I've never been to Spain let alone one of their islands.

Just out of curiosity. Is possible to earn some money and actually make profit the first season? Certainly don't expect so. But can you? Provided that you work hard of course.

Back