Musical instruments?

Ill get the Acoustic out and we can all sing Kumbyah round the camp fire ;)

"This one time? at Band Camp.................."

BandCamp.JPG

how long did it take to learn Les?

OK, I've tinkered with various instruments for donkeys years but was never very good at any of them. Always fancied the sax and bought one when I was flush with cash.

Imagine my surprise when I started knocking out tunes within 2 weeks. I already could read from sheet music which helped. I knew then that the sax was gonna be MY instrument. :D I found a private musical instrument school near where I live. I went for sax lessons for around 10 weeks then stopped as I felt I was doing well enough myself at home. Been playing since about '98.

Never spend as much time as I should with it simply because DJing pays a lot better than playing in a band. :confused:

If you're interested in playing sax, they are expensive, my first Tenor Sax cost £400 and I bought it not knowing whether I would be able to play it or not. Nowadays there are musical instrument shops that do 'hire to buy schemes'. Basically you 'hire' the sax at a set weekly/monthly rate and you have 12 weeks or so to see whether you are gonna continue. If not, you hand back the sax with nothing more to pay, or, you pay the balance to buy it. It's your choice.

i was FORCED to play piano from the age of 8years old (got to grade7)..... then got into my high school with a music scholarship thingy so was (AGAIN) FORCED to take up another instrument along with piano.....:spank:

i played alto sax for 2years & also the cello for ANOTHER 2years!

in hindsight, i wished i had kept it up... but i truely think FORCING young children in2 playing classical piano is truely horrible! i HATED it & cried EVERY SINGLE friday night as i had to go to piano practise whilst everyone else was watching charlie & the chocolate factory (true story) :cry: i will definately encourage my children (if i ever have them ;) to play music but i will also make sure they are HAVING FUN..... like playing more modern pieces; anything they hear on the radio along with classical etc......

i can still play the piano & read sheet music but i am in desperate need of lessons which i am starting again this year (JUST FOR ME!!!) :twisted:
my music theory on the on the other hand.......:oops::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
i will definately encourage my children (if i ever have them ;) to play music but i will also make sure they are HAVING FUN..... like playing more modern pieces; anything they hear on the radio along with classical etc......

I can agree with that, when I started playing sax my first tune was an Elvis number which meant I knew how it was supposed to sound. I enjoyed playing it which encouraged me to play more popular well known tunes. :D

When I went for sax lessons I ended up playing non-descript tunes I'd never heard of. More importantly, I had no idea how they were supposed to sound, timing, tempo, etc. Part of the reason I left was because of this, I just wasn't enjoying myself unlike at home. :confused: It should be FUN FUN FUN! :lol:

Back