Ministry of Sound vs Housing Developers

Since 2008, London's clubbing landscape has morphed beyond recognition, along with failed attempts to rekindle it with new big room venues a la Matter.

The era of vintage New York styled venues is well and truly red rover - which is why (love it or loathe it) MoS is so important to this city.

I would be sad to see it go, along with the dirt-cheap food stall on the smoking terrace .. MOS & Fabric are the only 2 clubs of any size I really look at going to in London these days (unless there's a special party somewhere). The biggest loss would be the sound system... and the chance to relive memories every time you go. Other than that it's been East End bars, Warehouse parties, Paramount etc. Reckon I'd feel more strongly if I actually lived in London and had MOS a tube ride away. Might go more often and manage more mornings to miss then !

Last Saturday at Ewer St car park gave me a lot of optimism, though. Warehouse parties can still be done right (even if they are a bit on the chilly side in the Winter). Though they're worlds apart from the cozy comfort of 103 there's very much still a cracking scene going on in London. And it's a blooming site better than anywhere else in the UK .. just depends on one's expectations. :)

'103 Gaunt Street' will always feel like my third home. I love going back.
I think this could be the end of the club. I hope I'm proved wrong.

Where else could it go? Going further out doesn't work. Matter proved that.
It needs to remain central, away from residential properties. The sound system alone is stupid.

The Martin rig in there (which is a custom build, by the way) Goes up to 164db... ;)

In normal operation, it only goes up to 110db. (Ear plugs are a requirement!)

They've got it up to 164db when the building has been completely empty. You wouldn't hear it anyway. Just feel it as your eardrums burst. :(

thinking the worst... what will be the time scale? surely it won't be for another 2 - 3 years at the earliest before it shuts (1-2 years of building the thing and 1-2 years before complaints get logged and licence revoked)

Renewed threat to Ministry of Sound as Boris calls in neighbouring scheme

2 December 2011 | By David Hatcher.

Mayor of London, Boris Johnson today signalled his intention to call in Southwark Council's controversial decision to refuse planning permission for Oakmayne's Eileen House scheme in Elephant & Castle

A full examination of the decision by the mayor's office will follow early next year.
The mayor has sent a letter to the developer to notify it that he intends to act as the local planning authority. It is only the fifth application Johnson has called in during his time in office.
The decision to refuse planning on 11 October for the 41-storey residential tower was made partly because of the potential threat it posed to world-famous nightclub Ministry of Sound. It was refused despite having been recommended for approval by Southwark's planning officer. The club is concerned that if the scheme is developed, noise complaints will ensue that will lead to its closure.
Revelations about donations from Ministry of Sound given to the Liberal Democrat party, three members of which sat on the planning committee, from the club followed. This led Oakmayne to say that “serious doubt” was cast on the decision.
Lohan Presencer, chief executive of Ministry of Sound said: “We are very surprised at this news. It seems a very unusual development. We have yet to speak directly today to the Mayor's Office in order to better understand the detail of this latest development. We will comment further in due course, most likely on Monday.”
Oakmayne chairman Christopher Allen said: “We are delighted with this decision, as we are confident that our proposals to help regenerate the Elephant & Castle align with the Government's aspirations for brownfield sites to be developed to help provide desperately needed affordable homes and jobs.
“We are already building 350 homes nearby, along with a five screen cinema and major new supermarket, and see no reason why Eileen House should not be able to contribute to the area's regeneration.
“The homes will be priced for ordinary Londoners, and the jobs created and our £4m community contribution will benefit local people and services.”
Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said: “This development, with potential for more than 300 flats, office and retail space, is a significant proposal that impacts on the implementation of the Mayor's London Plan. The Mayor therefore believes there are sound planning reasons for him to take over the application and scrutinise it in more detail.”

By 2015, MoS will have to move I reckon, It's not going to stay open there much beyond that if the housing schemes are pushed through.

Not to mention the original Lib Dem support was on the back of encouragement in the form of brown envelopes. I don't fancy their chances...

I don't intend to retire. Probably do less nights, certainly. I do go out less than when I was 18, but at that age, I didn't care where I went, whereas now, I target specific nights.

Back