Mental Health- It’s a bit of a bugger

Padster

Thanks for sharing your story.... :) its amazing that you are at a place where you can live a relatively normal life...

I am always interested in people that have to live with bipolar or schizophrenia etc

Great advice for people suffering
No worries. I've lost two good, close friends to suicide through mental illness and even more to the wilderness that their lives became to not want to share my experiences and help wherever I can.

mashednlovingit

@Bahamas those are excellent quotes, especially from Marcus Aurelius. Where can I get paper copies of his writings?

The reason I ask is that there are some bad reviews regarding translations of his book 'Meditations' on Amazon.

Bahamas

@Bahamas those are excellent quotes, especially from Marcus Aurelius. Where can I get paper copies of his writings?

The reason I ask is that there are some bad reviews regarding translations of his book 'Meditations' on Amazon.

There is indeed quite a variety to be found among the translations.

Quotes were taken from Sir George William Chrystal's version, originally published in 1902 and reissued by Clydesdale Classics in 2018: https://www.amazon.nl/MEDITATIONS-Complete-Unabridged-Marcus-Aurelius/dp/1945186240

I also own copies of Martin Hammond's translation (hardback published by Penguin Classics) and George Long's version (paperback published by Dover Thrift).

English is not my native language but I find myself mostly related to Crystal's interpretation.

For example Book IV §51 :
Run ever the short way. The short way is the way according to Nature. Therefore speak and act according to the soundest rule; for this resolution will free you from much toil and warring, and from all artful management and ostentation. (G.W. Chrystal)

Always run on the short road: and nature's road is short. Go then for the healthiest in all you say and do. Such a purpose releases a man from the labours of service, from all need to manage or impress. (Martin Hammond)

Always run to the short way; and the short way is natural: accordingly say and do everything in conformity with the soundest reason. For such a purpose frees a man from trouble, and warfare, and all artifice and ostentatious display. (George Long)

The form factor is also something to keep in mind. This is a manuscript which entices page turning and rereading. I find myself consulting random passages briefly on various occasions. On some parts you may want to have some background information (although most of the writings speak for themselves).

Chrystal's version is an easy to handle paperback with a decent layout (clear font and spacing) that cuts to the chase. It's provided with a short foreword and contains no additional notes.

The hardback by Penguin Classics requires more reading willingness, it's quite sturdy for browsing. On the other hand overall production quality and layout are stunning. Very durable, detailed numbering, an excellent introduction including chronology and further reading tips, extensive additional notes, and it comes with a handy bookmark.

Dover Thrift's version of George Long's translation is a very basic paperback; paper quality and cover feel cheap, short introduction, no notes, not much attention was paid to layout. Ok for travelling but wouldn't recommend it. Paperback of Chrystal's version is the better option if you're looking for a paperback to carry along.

Personally I consult Chrystal's version most of the time for original writings, and look into secondary literature to gather additional insight.

There's also a nice blog post of centireader Ryan Holiday on his personal experience with Aurelius' writings. https://ryanholiday.net/100-things-learned-10-years-100-reads-marcus-aureliuss-meditations

Enjoy your trip.

Last edited: