Lily Allen

Well Katy Perry is famous for singing about an made up for the tabloids Lesbian Affair, isnt that trashy?

:lol::lol::lol:

We also had Lily Allen first then Katy Perry......

I just dont get Pink. I think she has had her day of good songs, she needs to step aside for other people.

In my opinion.

RobbieG: See I didn't know that about Katy Perry, but, I'm basing my views on what I hear in the music alone. Lilly Allens VOCALS, her lyrics, as well as Lady Gaga's, they portray them to me as skanks. Well, not even so much the vocals, but, more the themes.

Like, I'm listening to a song now, and, its vocal is a orgasm and a chick saying "Your ****ing me so good", and to me, thats less skankier than Lilly Allen.

I guess its down to personal interpretation of what a skank is, but to me it's a girl who is like, an over glorified slut. One of these "I'm a slut, I'm a bitch and I'm proud" kind of women. These women who, glorify the downfalls of men as if they're so much better than any man, and beleive themselves to be idolised by men and ****, but spread themselves so thin that, to a man, they are just a trophy, if that.

Can't stand pop music - hate it with a passion.

Lady GaGa looks great but her music is dreadful.

I've really warmed to Lily after her Glasto performance - she can really sing, has a charismatic stage presence and a nice character which is going to give her a lot of staying power.

I don't think she's part of the machine.

RobbieG: See I didn't know that about Katy Perry, but, I'm basing my views on what I hear in the music alone. Lilly Allens VOCALS, her lyrics, as well as Lady Gaga's, they portray them to me as skanks. Well, not even so much the vocals, but, more the themes.

Like, I'm listening to a song now, and, its vocal is a orgasm and a chick saying "Your ****ing me so good", and to me, thats less skankier than Lilly Allen.

I guess its down to personal interpretation of what a skank is, but to me it's a girl who is like, an over glorified slut. One of these "I'm a slut, I'm a bitch and I'm proud" kind of women. These women who, glorify the downfalls of men as if they're so much better than any man, and beleive themselves to be idolised by men and ****, but spread themselves so thin that, to a man, they are just a trophy, if that.

Maybe its because she sings about men being bad in bed ;)

the significant difference is that Lily Allen sings very clever, ironic, bittersweet, mischievous, very English lyrics that strike a chord and she does so with a lot of charm.

The other women singers mentioned in this thread are nothing more than utterly charmless, shouty popstars made from scratch by marketing teams and custom-designed for the international MTV market. They will all be in the discount bins by christmas...

I dont really listen to pop but I do like a bit of everything and I will admit I liked Lady Gaga when she came out. Now I just think she is getting odder and odder....not sure if its genuine or trying to prove a point.

I quite like La Roux at the moment - not sure if she is classed as "pop" "cheese" whatever.

How could you not know the one big hit she has had is called I Kissed A Girl!

I dont think you are giving Lilly a chance mate she dosnt really sing about that take for example the Fear which imo is her finest hour.

I want to be rich and I want lots of money
I don’t care about clever I don’t care about funny
I want loads of clothes and f***loads of diamonds

I heard people die while they are trying to find them

I’ll take my clothes off and it will be shameless
‘Cuz everyone knows that’s how you get famous
I’ll look at the sun and I’ll look in the mirror
I’m on the right track yeah I’m on to a winner

Its an Ironic take on the cult of celebrity.

As for that last paragraph how do you feel about men like 50 cent singing about b!tches and hoes? As if its ok for them to sing about women that way then why cant women get their own back if they choise too?

the significant difference is that Lily Allen sings very clever, ironic, bittersweet, mischievous, very English lyrics that strike a chord and she does so with a lot of charm.

The other women singers mentioned in this thread are nothing more than utterly charmless, shouty popstars made from scratch by marketing teams and custom-designed for the international MTV market. They will all be in the discount bins by christmas...

Pinks been around for years, Katy Perry tho, I think you are right, she has no staying power, tho, I could see her songs in 15 years time still making people say "wow I havent heard this in years" and still enjoy it.

See, Lilly Allen to me is like, this girl next door trying to be a skank and it just doesnt work for me. I dont think her lyrics are mischevious at all, I think they're just, poor taste for poor tastes sake.

If anything, I get the impression SHE has been made by marketers who have looked too deeply into their target audience.

I hated Katy Perry I kissed a girl - I thought it was a cheap shot to get herself noticed.

I do however like her and some of her other songs but I dont think she will last long. She doesnt look like she is suited to singing pop songs either - just probably the only way she could make it big.

See, Lilly Allen to me is like, this girl next door trying to be a skank and it just doesnt work for me. I dont think her lyrics are mischevious at all, I think they're just, poor taste for poor tastes sake.

If anything, I get the impression SHE has been made by marketers who have looked too deeply into their target audience.

Well thats where you are wrong mate in uk she is seen as anti machine. I think the Britishness of her is lost on you.

How could you not know the one big hit she has had is called I Kissed A Girl!

I dont think you are giving Lilly a chance mate she dosnt really sing about that take for example the Fear which imo is her finest hour.

I want to be rich and I want lots of money
I don’t care about clever I don’t care about funny
I want loads of clothes and f***loads of diamonds

I heard people die while they are trying to find them

I’ll take my clothes off and it will be shameless
‘Cuz everyone knows that’s how you get famous
I’ll look at the sun and I’ll look in the mirror
I’m on the right track yeah I’m on to a winner

Its an Ironic take on the cult of celebrity.

As for that last paragraph how do you feel about men like 50 cent singing about b!tches and hoes? As if its ok for them to sing about women that way then why cant women get their own back if they choise too?

Sorry man, I completely forgot about Katy Perry - I kissed a girl. I was focussing more on Hot and Cold because thats my favourite song of hers. But to me, it doesn't worry me that she sang about sexual experimentation. I don't mind that as a theme. Because its been done so much in reality. Like half the girls I know at some point have run up to me telling me how 'they kissed a girl and they liked it" then two weeks later have been back on the dick.

Its cliche, but its like, a well done cliche. Like Romeo and Juliet is a cliche romance, but it's a well done romance. Infact it was because Shakespeare did it so well that it became THE cliche romance. (Not that I think Katy Perry is anywhere to that level or standard.)

But Lilly Allen, shes taking this ironic **** about being famous, big deal. Pussy Cat Dolls made a song about being famous. "when I grow up"... And hey, it was actually really good. It didn't take a shot at being famous and anti-establishment for shock value, it was honest. Its about a bunch of hot chicks who want to be famous (if you want to go way too indepth into the motives and meanings and ****.) but I think, songs like Katy Perrys and the Pussy Cat Dolls, are made purely for listening pleasure. Not to be analysed, and thats EXACTLY why I like them, and it might be exactly why I dont think much of Katy Perry - I Kissed A Girl, because its a 'Think' song.

Pink is somewhere between the two, and thats why I like her. She makes me think but not enough to have to sit and say "ok whats the morals and themes and messages in this song", just enough to say "hey for a love song this is pretty good."

cute, edgy, infectious melodies, the tabloids can't handle her, sold E in Ibiza at 15, passionate Londoner, likes The Clash, brutally honest, gorgeous.

what's not to like?

You almost had me there :lol: Phew

Her songs are moderately witty tho her best is no better than a stannard Streets album track.

I'll stick my neck out and say she is actually a c*nt. I don't get worked up about it, don't storm out of shops screaming withe may hands over the ears if Smile comes on the PA, but she is, and always will be, a grade A, no questions asked, c*nt.

Why you may ask? Well aside from aforementioned accidental leaked the whole selling of E at 15, an apparance of liking the Clash (I Fought The Law no doubt her ring tone) etc, but when the dust settles, all is said and done, a detailed analysis of her vocal performances undertaken, books written on the historical influences and cultural deliberations prescribed in her lyrics that will keep generations enterrtwined etc she is, and always will be the spawn of one of the genuinely middle of middle class abhorrent human beings on the planet.

And she looks like one of my exes pals that was a real whopper of a twat.

I applaud her for not going full on with the "I am product of the ghetto" act that you'd expect, IMO she can be criedited for single handidly bought nice dresses back into fashion (esp for non skinny types), and her latest song about her fella not doing too well in bed is pretty innovative (cf Poker face)...but call me narrow minded but I will just never see her without thinking the Friday pullout on the Evening Stannard, her doing chisel with her old man in the Groucho club, get paid silly money for something by the BBC because of her links and percieved fame and all sorts of other detached from reality stuff wealthy North London ruling types do.

Or something.

Well thats where you are wrong mate in uk she is seen as anti machine. I think the Britishness of her is lost on you.

It could very well be, but, I'm not British. The impression I get from Britian tho, is that, the actual, 'In' thing' to be, is, anti-establishment. .. Its kind of like, a double edged sword. On one hand everyone wants to be 'anti-establishment', but as soon as they do, that, anti-establishment movement kind of establishes itself as the establishment and everyone starts to turn into everything they were against.

Maybe thats why I see her as a product of the establishment because to me she looks like shes been made for a market that is anti-establishment, BY the establishment.. Like, a puppet government. As if someone has said "Right we know everyone hates the mainstream, lets make this pop chick really out there and anti-establishment to hook into the mainstream ethos". And you've been sold my friends :)

But Lilly Allen, shes taking this ironic **** about being famous, big deal. Pussy Cat Dolls made a song about being famous. "when I grow up"... And hey, it was actually really good. It didn't take a shot at being famous and anti-establishment for shock value, it was honest. Its about a bunch of hot chicks who want to be famous (if you want to go way too indepth into the motives and meanings and ****.) but I think, songs like Katy Perrys and the Pussy Cat Dolls, are made purely for listening pleasure. Not to be analysed, and thats EXACTLY why I like them, and it might be exactly why I dont think much of Katy Perry - I Kissed A Girl, because its a 'Think' song.

Well thats exactly her point mate. She is having a little go at manufactured bands like the pussy cat dolls who where famous for being Vegas show girls before they where a band. The record companys loves them as sex sells.

Over this side of the water, Pop music is based around image not talent. Where the X Factor counts rather than having a great voice. Lilly writes her stuff herself where most on the singers you have mentioned wouldnt know where to start.

A song like Fear works as a pure pop song for anyone to listen too on the radio but it works as a social commenrty too if you want to listen to the lyrics.

See, I absolutely agree with the Pop music thing, tho I rank the Classical pop stuff up there with my funky house.

Lady GaGa looks great but her music is dreadful.

I've really warmed to Lily after her Glasto performance - she can really sing, has a charismatic stage presence and a nice character which is going to give her a lot of staying power.

I don't think she's part of the machine.

In fairness I have heard similar people converted after seeing her live, and I was of a (less volitious) antipathy before watching Blur blow me away at Glasto.

I don't think think she's part of the SiCo pop machine (which is a sorry state of affairs that it is enough to receive such kudos), though I think she's part of a different one (if you'll excuse the ****y comment!)

Am i interpreting the word "skanky" wrong? lily Allen is to me no way a Skank. A skank to me is someone who is in the papers all the time doing some "outrageous" thing with half their clothes on and generally look like they havent slept in many weeks.
Lily allen to me doesnt fit into this picture. yes she goes out and has a drink and whatever but she isnt Amy Winehouse!!
Amy on the other hand is a poor lost soul. She is clever with her lyrics but she is such a mess!

See, I absolutely agree with the Pop music thing, tho I rank the Classical pop stuff up there with my funky house.

In fairness I have heard similar people converted after seeing her live, and I was of a (less volitious) antipathy before watching Blur blow me away at Glasto.

+1 on the pop music they just dont make it like they used too do they! Then again when we are all old farts the kids of today will be moaning about how no one makes tunes like Pink / katy Perry / lilly Allen any more.

Back