impressions & observations from ibiza 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we're going through the worst pandemic in 100 years, with restricted travelling and the majority of hotels closed. Yet somehow there are so many tourists on the island that I can't get to this beach?

I will be back, in January.

Anyway, who needs beaches when you have this:

Ibiza11.jpg

Last edited:
So we're going through the worst pandemic in 100 years, with restricted travelling and the majority of hotels closed. Yet somehow there are so many tourists on the island that I can't get to this beach?

I will be back, in January.

Anyway, who needs beaches when you have this:

View attachment 12045

always lovely there!

It's safe to say that Ibiza is now officially full. There's no space for more tourists.

I was denied entrance to a beach today.

I was walking down the road (from the north) to Cala Gracio. On my right there's a road that leads to a small beach I've never been to before, Cala Gracioneta. I decided to check it out. A guy standing at the beginning of this road starting talking to me. I thought he was trying to sell me drugs. I wasn't interested and continued on. But he persisted. Turns out he was telling me I wasn't allowed to go to Cala Gracioneta. The explanation being that the beach is full, and due to Covid restrictions no more people are allowed. He also mentioned something about it being a "private" beach, which could be a translation inaccuracy. He mentioned that Cala Gracio was "free" (also possibly a translation inaccuracy) and that I could go there instead.

He wasn't wearing a uniform or anything. But the sound of a walkie-talkie in his pocket gave him enough credibility for me to go to Cala Gracio instead.

I did however walk along the coast line from Cala Gracio to San An. 100m from Cala Gracio you can see the Cala Gracioneta. It was no where full of people. In fact there were fewer people there than in Cala Gracio.

So what's the deal? Are beached being closed when there's a certain number of people there? Do people in plain clothes thave the authority to turn people away from beaches? Worst of all, do I have to get up earlier in the morning in order to get in before the cut off?
I reckon if the guy wasn't in a uniform but had a 'walkie talkie' he was connected to the restaurant and had no authority over a public beach, as they all are. Probably wanted to keep it quiet for the customers. Assuming the resto is open of course, (don't know).

A guy standing at the beginning of this road starting talking to me.

....the same thing happened to us 14 days ago, he said the car park was full. We have been going to Cala Gracioneta for years and it has never happened to us. We parked further down on the left and went back again, there were exactly 2 cars in the car park. When we arrived at the bottom, it was empty.... we were asked for the reservation, then we left again ;-)

I came five days earlier than planned in case Spain followed Poland in quarantining uk arrivals

First night, San Antonio definitely felt like a ghost town at 5pm. Even now at 1015pm barely anyone is in the bars.

If PDB is also quiet, I take it Ibiza town is place to go?

I came five days earlier than planned in case Spain followed Poland in quarantining uk arrivals

First night, San Antonio definitely felt like a ghost town at 5pm. Even now at 1015pm barely anyone is in the bars.

Ibiza Town is very lively every night indeed.

San An is a ghost town indeed. Didn't even bother to check out pdb.

I can imagine things will start to take shape this weekend a bit in PDB and San an, loads of brits be heading out now its on green watch. i know of 15-20 alone going out today / tomorrow

It's safe to say that Ibiza is now officially full. There's no space for more tourists.

I was denied entrance to a beach today.

I was walking down the road (from the north) to Cala Gracio. On my right there's a road that leads to a small beach I've never been to before, Cala Gracioneta. I decided to check it out. A guy standing at the beginning of this road starting talking to me. I thought he was trying to sell me drugs. I wasn't interested and continued on. But he persisted. Turns out he was telling me I wasn't allowed to go to Cala Gracioneta. The explanation being that the beach is full, and due to Covid restrictions no more people are allowed. He also mentioned something about it being a "private" beach, which could be a translation inaccuracy. He mentioned that Cala Gracio was "free" (also possibly a translation inaccuracy) and that I could go there instead.

He wasn't wearing a uniform or anything. But the sound of a walkie-talkie in his pocket gave him enough credibility for me to go to Cala Gracio instead.

I did however walk along the coast line from Cala Gracio to San An. 100m from Cala Gracio you can see the Cala Gracioneta. It was no where full of people. In fact there were fewer people there than in Cala Gracio.

So what's the deal? Are beached being closed when there's a certain number of people there? Do people in plain clothes thave the authority to turn people away from beaches? Worst of all, do I have to get up earlier in the morning in order to get in before the cut off?
Following up on this story, I was denied access today as well.

It's no longer just one guy not in uniform. Now they've put up a proper barrier sealing off the road, and placards showing the emblem of the municipality. The guy standing there today even had an large beach umbrella for shade. The decision to close the beach for more visitors is supposedly taken by the lifeguard at the beach.

The beach really is closed off due to Coronavirus once it reaches a certain number of visitors.

They even put barriers along the shoreline, for those attempting to sneak in from another direction. ✋

Following up on this story, I was denied access today as well.

It's no longer just one guy not in uniform. Now they've put up a proper barrier sealing off the road, and placards showing the emblem of the municipality. The guy standing there today even had an large beach umbrella for shade. The decision to close the beach for more visitors is supposedly taken by the lifeguard at the beach.

The beach really is closed off due to Coronavirus once it reaches a certain number of visitors.

They even put barriers along the shoreline, for those attempting to sneak in from another direction. ✋

to put this in contect - cala gracioneta is probably the smallest sandy beach on the entire island. I am zero surprised you were turned away. if you wanna go there, you gotta get up really early. it's the same over on the island of menorca, even without coronavirus. to some of the best beaches, you gotta go early to see it. else you simply won't get there, period.

last summer, a lot of the beaches got a capacity limit here - cala conta being one of the most famous examples. while things are definitely getting better, we're still not 100% over the pandemic and thus some limits stay in place I'm afraid.

Does anyone know how the hard rock test event went yesterday? Not my sort of venue but in all our interests for it to have gone well. Who was the guest DJ?

Holy shit

I haven't gone out or partied much at all in the last 7-8 years. As a result of getting older, focusing on gym, friends moving away, clubs closing down etc

Legit can't remember my last "rave" type party.

Went to a pool/villa party yesterday via a girl I met in Barcelona last year.

Google map pin in the middle of nowhere, got out the taxi and could see the villa, hear the music but had no idea how to get down the hill, was stranded in Ibiza forest with no water.

Eventually got there by getting driven by two random locals.

Didn't do any drugs and a few hours into it I was crying on the dance floor, it was that amazing.

Ending up at another random villa at 4am with no money and no battery was another story!

Maybe the same nice private villa party? that took place yesterday afternoon (some anthem disco house published by worker girl, blad dj with black glasses (Pikes hotel black polo?), lola-the shapeshifter, New Order-blue monday ..) , kind of vibes that will makes me willing to go back to the island as for now, my will to be back is 0,001% (Ibz the covid way/quiet way , not really my cup of tea) while it used to be 99,999% (Ibz the normal way)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back