Ibiza snobs... why do so many visit this forum??

Not so much snobbery just a "The masses like X? Eeeeewwwww they are soooo passé" vibe.

Summed up better with a Venn Diagram

music_snob_venn_diagram.jpg

the key point about music we love is that we simultaneously want to keep it to ourselves and yet at the same time tell the world about it and so we have this contradictory view of whether to communicate our love of music. And this in part explains the split in the late 80s between the people who wanted to keep acid house a secret and those who wanted to ferment nationwide yoof revolution with it.

What's interesting is the great split of the late 80s between the 'elite' and the 'mass' remains as strong as ever in clubland and Ibiza in particular. Whether the kids coming through now still live that particular class divide though, I don't know, but no doubt they certainly self-segregate in other ways

I compare it to what it was like hanging out with the goth/punk/artsy crowd back in school.

As soon as we came across more than 5 people who didn't wear all black and were into a particular band/song/album, that music became "too commercial" and was shunned :lol:

in my case, I was pretty oblivious to notions of cool until I was well into my 20s, but you gradually get sucked in without even realising it. Things suddenly assume a new depth and a new importance and hanging around in parts of London, you can't really avoid it. You get into 'serious' house and 'serious' techno and all of a sudden there's no looking back - it's not something that's easy to explain. It just IS.

I have always been cool - I was into ibiza before the Phoenicians.

But I am now "Post-cool" so you probably wouldn't realise that I am actually cool anymore, unless I point it out.

And I listened to wobbly headed crooner David Gray on the car radio on Saturday and I sang along and liked it.

But I am now "Post-cool" so you probably wouldn't realise that I am actually cool anymore, unless I point it out.

And I listened to wobbly headed crooner David Gray on the car radio on Saturday and I sang along and liked it.

I reckon it's cyclical, so when you're past your current stage, you will be post-post-cool, ergo, you will be simply cool again, but due to the advancement of age you will also now be too-post-post-cool for school. However your next stage will post-too-post-post-cool for school, which would lead to some confusion about educational elegibility in the unlikely event you hadn't shuffled off your mortal coil by then. Or something.

my old flatmate was this sikh guy who had 'too cool for school' tattooed on his arm

he was a primary school teacher and is now deputy head! :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

for me markb is the funniest guy on spotters. thing is, after a while, you can just feel when the jokes are coming. (see above).

good work old boy!

Back