Ibiza: secrets of the party island

Didnt enjoy it, painted Ibiza very dimly, and the 'cast' were all cretins mainly. Police were the most genuine.

Im sure those €600 spot fines will put the frighteners on tourists watching.
That is the first thing I thought as well...probably the only reason the police agreed to appear on film. Be seen to nab someone watching the sunset and it might make a few people think twice.

So many vested interests in the show...Police, Wayne Lineker, high end 'fixers'...and on it goes...

Didnt enjoy it, painted Ibiza very dimly, and the 'cast' were all cretins mainly. Police were the most genuine.

Im sure those €600 spot fines will put the frighteners on tourists watching.

Im actually a fan of a clampdown on people taking stuff in public, not everyone on the island is a stoner and it doesnt help the islands reputation for things to be so open.

Im actually a fan of a clampdown on people taking stuff in public, not everyone on the island is a stoner and it doesnt help the islands reputation for things to be so open.
I agree if people openly doing it in public.

My point was, if i was a drug taker and knew at some point id have some in my possession, those on spot searches and fines would proper give me the horrors.

I agree if people openly doing it in public.

My point was, if i was a drug taker and knew at some point id have some in my possession, those on spot searches and fines would proper give me the horrors.

yes and no. Given how stretched those cops were you would have to be incredibly unlucky to get caught in a crowd of thousands, unless you're dicking around in a car. It just seemed to me that the police (more the local cops than the PN/GC) have almost given up and just go through the motions now. It seemed to me that they know this is all a bullshit charade when the serious players are obviously elsewhere.

yes and no. Given how stretched those cops were you would have to be incredibly unlucky to get caught in a crowd of thousands, unless you're dicking around in a car. It just seemed to me that the police (more the local cops than the PN/GC) have almost given up and just go through the motions now. It seemed to me that they know this is all a bullshit charade when the serious players are obviously elsewhere.
Again i agree, ive never really noticed that police behaviour in all my visits...

But if id never been to Ibiza before and i was a drug user, that tv show would put me right off. As it looks like theyre rife for pulling tourists on the off chance. The reality is obviously very different because it just isnt possible given resources.

I thought the police scenes were actually the most insightful parts of the whole series. I've always noticed how in Spain the police tend to display their seizures on a table like trophies which IIRC is quite rare in the UK before a case has even reached court, but then again because it's usually a judge not jury in Spain there isn't the same fear of prejudicing a trial. Also seemed like these cops were keen to be on the film because it helps their trade union lobby for more resources.

Was interesting to see the island through the eyes of a young one.

Nothing really new or surprising in what she was reporting. It's just a shame that VIP culture is in full flow with people willingl to pay 1k+ for a bed in O beach whilst looking at San An's tower blocks.

Last edited:
Just wanted to expand on “seeing it though the eyes of a young one”

What I mean by this really, is todays entry point for many young people is instagram where as 20 years ago it was 18-30/Ibiza Uncovered.

The way the island was marketed has changed from hedonism to ‘luxury’.

Personally, I can’t see the luxury or glamour in Ibiza. Maybe luxury and glamour is more of a feeling than a tangible thing?

Any way. I’m quietly waiting for the bubble to burst so everyone can go get their Instagram pictures somewhere else!

Having now watched all 4 I can understand why many locals are not happy about this portrayal of the island. It veers on the sensationalist, focusing exclusively on the trashy or dark side of the economy. I know that was the brief but it's almost an Ibiza Uncovered - The Next Generation which is the last thing the island needs. I'm often a defender of the BBC but they've basically commissioned an influencer to go around the resorts and the result is such a one-dimensional view and basically free PR for O Beach. That said, it did raise some serious issues about the frighteningly under resourced emergency services, criminality, homelessness and the ravages of uber capitalism (in between all the pneumatic breasts and biceps)
Yeah this is quite true. A more mature presenter focusing on the resources (police, ambulance and housing) could of made for a good documentary.

None of the above suggestions would have made for a watchable/ratings grabbing documentary. Drug taking and coppers nicking people does.

The remit was clearly about creating a Stacey Dooley BBC3 style expose with some thick "dolly bird" capturing warts and all stuff. Guaranteed promo of the programme bringing an influencer in as well.

None of the above suggestions would have made for a watchable/ratings grabbing documentary. Drug taking and coppers nicking people does.

The remit was clearly about creating a Stacey Dooley BBC3 style expose with some thick "dolly bird" capturing warts and all stuff. Guaranteed promo of the programme bringing an influencer in as well.
I don’t agree. You just need to push it to a more mature channel. Maybe BBC 4.

Why do we need to keep dumbing ourselves down?

I don’t agree. You just need to push it to a more mature channel. Maybe BBC 4.

Why do we need to keep dumbing ourselves down?

British tv has NO IDEA how to do Spain. It's either trash resorts at one end of the scale or snotty foodies at the other. In 49 years I have never once seen a programme that gets it, and this is a large part of the problem. I myself could easily make a programme explaining the reality but nobody would watch it because people want a fantasy.

British tv has NO IDEA how to do Spain. It's either trash resorts at one end of the scale or snotty foodies at the other. In 49 years I have never once seen a programme that gets it, and this is a large part of the problem. I myself could easily make a programme explaining the reality but nobody would watch it because people want a fantasy.

The political side of Ibiza fascinates me, including how the island operates as clubbing capital for a few months each year. Also the challenges that the island faces on a biological level.

Has anyone seen the TV Series Ibiza Party Island - what are your thoughts?
I feel its doing the Island no favors at all

I thought the locals would love it, since giving the island bad reputation would help reduce tourist numbers? 😛

And if the tourists keep away, they will whinge that there's no money coming in. Being an Island they are lucky that they can, maybe, limit the number of flights, but in reality what keeps the number of tourists in check is the number (and cost) of hotel rooms available. I don't see many more hotels being built (??) so visitor numbers must be stable; why all the fuss now??

If locals need affordable "housing" and to cut down the number of tourists, sure, let the local government buy a some hotels and use them to rent to locals. But Ibiza needs tourist money unless it wants to become a poor Spanish outcast.

I thought the locals would love it, since giving the island bad reputation would help reduce tourist numbers? 😛
And if the tourists keep away, they will whinge that there's no money coming in. Being an Island they are lucky that they can, maybe, limit the number of flights, but in reality what keeps the number of tourists in check is the number (and cost) of hotel rooms available. I don't see many more hotels being built (??) so visitor numbers must be stable; why all the fuss now??

If locals need affordable "housing" and to cut down the number of tourists, sure, let the local government buy a some hotels and use them to rent to locals. But Ibiza needs tourist money unless it wants to become a poor Spanish outcast.

the amount of patronising drivel that flows off your keyboards

Back