Ibiza on a shoestring?

Finally making it back to the island in a couple of weeks after a 2 year hiatus!! Not quite on a tinned potatoes budget this year, but all for any tips on keeping costs down.

In many years of visits I've never made it to Benirras for the drumming sunset so that's a priority this year - anyone done the boat trip from San An for it and is it worthwhile?

I went last year. It's a good compromise against getting taxis (expensive) and taking the car (agg/can't have a drink), but please bear in mind it takes the best part of 3 hours each way. There isn't really much in the way to do whilst on board - they play cheesey 70s and 80s music from a tinny sound system. On the way there you can at least enjoy the scenery of the coastline, it's the journey back that's the real killer. I would recommend taking a book to kill the time.

I went last year. It's a good compromise against getting taxis (expensive) and taking the car (agg/can't have a drink), but please bear in mind it takes the best part of 3 hours each way. There isn't really much in the way to do whilst on board - they play cheesey 70s and 80s music from a tinny sound system. On the way there you can at least enjoy the scenery of the coastline, it's the journey back that's the real killer. I would recommend taking a book to kill the time.

For real ? :eek: Are they running a 2-stroke hedgetrimmer engine with extra passenger power ?

For real ? :eek: Are they running a 2-stroke hedgetrimmer engine with extra passenger power ?

For real. It's because after San An they go south first to Cala de Bou, Port des Torrent and Cala Bassa for pick-ups before doing a U-y and heading back up to Benirras. Then on the return they drop off back at those stops first, before docking in San An. It's loooooong.

Last edited:
Is that the annoying boat that parks up in front of everyone killing everyone's vibe?

Don't think so, it's quite out of the way. You have to scramble a fair distance over the rocks to get to the beach. And to my knowledge it doesn't arrive/depart anytime around sunset but a good while either side

Tbh, I've only seen one culprit in all the times I've been there, but it was a massive glass bottom style boat hammering out all manner of musical monstrosities not in keeping with the vibe. Dont even think it was a Sunday either. Might have just been a boat party.

I just find Sundays too busy to be fun personally. Parking is a cold sweat inducing nightmare. Theres already a lack of free beach as it is, the sun loungers seem to creep further to the left everytime I go.

If you must drive there on a sunday my tip is to park somewhere that folk wont be restricted getting out of, then leave well after sunset, well after the post sunset lightshow. So many folk bail as soon as the sun has gone. Best let the traffic clear first.

Tbh, I've only seen one culprit in all the times I've been there, but it was a massive glass bottom style boat hammering out all manner of musical monstrosities not in keeping with the vibe. Dont even think it was a Sunday either. Might have just been a boat party.

I just find Sundays too busy to be fun personally. Parking is a cold sweat inducing nightmare. Theres already a lack of free beach as it is, the sun loungers seem to creep further to the left everytime I go.

If you must drive there on a sunday my tip is to park somewhere that folk wont be restricted getting out of, then leave well after sunset, well after the post sunset lightshow. So many folk bail as soon as the sun has gone. Best let the traffic clear first.
Cheers Dad?

Joking apart, we go any day but Sunday. Normally a good vibe with the odd drum or didjeridu being played.

oooh I knew it was three hours there but I figured that was just for the wining and dining, didn't realise it would be that long on the way back too!

I nearly gave myself a heart attack through caffeine in 1997 in Ibiza. I'd been advised by some random to forget Pro-Plus and get some proper caffeine pills from the chemist. I bought a pack and proceeded to take two on getting up, two in the evening and 2x2 whilst out. I was also drinking coffee in between. On about the 3rd day I started getting chest pains which obviously got worse the more I panicked. I got to my room and lay on the bed trying to relax but with what seemed like half the GNP of a medium-sized South American country coursing through my veins that was pretty much impossible. I just happened to feel the packet of caffeine tablets in my pocket and pulled it out. Now, bear in mind that Pro-Plus are 50mg per tablet, something stood out glaringly on the pack. 350mg. That's right, THREE-HUNDRED AND FIFTY MILLIGRAMS EACH. No wonder I was bloody ill!

I nearly gave myself a heart attack through caffeine in 1997 in Ibiza. I'd been advised by some random to forget Pro-Plus and get some proper caffeine pills from the chemist. I bought a pack and proceeded to take two on getting up, two in the evening and 2x2 whilst out. I was also drinking coffee in between. On about the 3rd day I started getting chest pains which obviously got worse the more I panicked. I got to my room and lay on the bed trying to relax but with what seemed like half the GNP of a medium-sized South American country coursing through my veins that was pretty much impossible. I just happened to feel the packet of caffeine tablets in my pocket and pulled it out. Now, bear in mind that Pro-Plus are 50mg per tablet, something stood out glaringly on the pack. 350mg. That's right, THREE-HUNDRED AND FIFTY MILLIGRAMS EACH. No wonder I was bloody ill!
Those high strength tabs are okay once a day, say pre workout or intercourse or both

Cheers Dad?

Joking apart, we go any day but Sunday. Normally a good vibe with the odd drum or didjeridu being played.

Is it easy getting a Taxi back on non-Sunday nights. Ive driven before, but want to enjoy some drinks next time.

Is it easy getting a Taxi back on non-Sunday nights. Ive driven before, but want to enjoy some drinks next time.
Always drive, but I would imagine so?
There are still plenty of people in the Restaurants so would think some of them will have taxis called for them.
Plus the new taxi app might be an option if you have signal.

There’s a small water taxi (and I mean small) that does trips between Port San Miguel and Benniras, I’m sure it’s about €6 pp if you wanted to mix things up a bit

Always drive, but I would imagine so?
There are still plenty of people in the Restaurants so would think some of them will have taxis called for them.
Plus the new taxi app might be an option if you have signal.

There’s a small water taxi (and I mean small) that does trips between Port San Miguel and Benniras, I’m sure it’s about €6 pp if you wanted to mix things up a bit

Thats an option, because San Miguel definately does have a Taxi rank

Just noticed my next trip is with an airline that gives you either 6kg or 8kg in-cabin allowance. I won't put stuff in the hold due to the cost and the high chance of it ending up in Oslo, so I might end up the first afternoon trying to buy towels, t-shirts etc etc if my normal gear has to be ditched for weight! I know there are cheap shops around the bus stops to buy stuff I can buy once and chuck (not very environmentally friendly).
I'm bringing my own aqua-shoes as flip-flops don't cut it for me (well, they cut my feet when they fail) and the go-pro rather than full-on camera (loopy photos here we come). Does that count as shoe-string??
Anyway, shoe-string question (and I am aware there's a Decathlon but it's out-of-town) where can I buy aqua shoes for the same price as at home (ie less than a tenner)?? Cheers

Back