Ibiza on a shoestring?

Also, i read a really good thing (in Vice i think or maybe here) talking about how although you always had a high end crowd in ibiza, you now had the 'instagram weekenders' who come. They do 3 or 4 nights, stay in the Hard Rock (for example), tick all the must see boxes regardless of cost and then fly out. That is a much bigger thing and that is why some of the bigger mid range resort hotels, which used to get some families or people who would do a budget holiday with a night out or two, have been replaced with £200 a night hotels. This also has had a triple down effect on some of the smaller budget hotels which are now a little nicer and a lot more expensive.

Also, i read a really good thing (in Vice i think or maybe here) talking about how although you always had a high end crowd in ibiza, you now had the 'instagram weekenders' who come. They do 3 or 4 nights, stay in the Hard Rock (for example), tick all the must see boxes regardless of cost and then fly out. That is a much bigger thing and that is why some of the bigger mid range resort hotels, which used to get some families or people who would do a budget holiday with a night out or two, have been replaced with £200 a night hotels. This also has had a triple down effect on some of the smaller budget hotels which are now a little nicer and a lot more expensive.

I am an Instagram weekender though I don't go to Ibiza for an Instagram pic

I just prefer 3 or 4 nights as I go to party not to get a tan. I done a week last year and it was too much
If I had a girlfriend then I would chose a week and do a lot less partying but right not I am single so

I booked last week for 3 nights in July and flights and hotel cost me less than £200

I am an Instagram weekender though I don't go to Ibiza for an Instagram pic

I just prefer 3 or 4 nights as I go to party not to get a tan. I done a week last year and it was too much
If I had a girlfriend then I would chose a week and do a lot less partying but right not I am single so

I booked last week for 3 nights in July and flights and hotel cost me less than £200

Dont think its specifically an issue of coming out for a weekend to go clubbing...I've done that too! Its just people who will come once in a lifetime and treat that weekeend as a once in a lifetime trip to ibiza, in the same way people in the states go to vegas. So that means stay in ushuaia, book a table for sunset at cafe del mar, go to Hi etc. Nothing wrong with that, it just changes the make up of the island in summer a bit as those people will spend in a weekend what most people will spend in a week or so.

ha, I wish! I doubt they'd let some old VW banger in

part of the fun would be working out where to stop off, shower, shit and stuff (although my missus might have other ideas...)

Reactions: Liv
I can say the next place that is getting popular thanks to social media is Mykonos - That is pricey!! But people want an IG pic so will pay it

Mykonos is already beyond a joke and worse than Ibiza especially for flights due to lack of competition, but also things like taxis on the ground at night etc. It is much smaller than Ibiza though only about 1/4 the size. BA fares to JMK can set you back well over £1,000 from LHR. The place isn't even that amazing although accommodation finishes etc. usually a step up from Greek norms. But you're paying through the nose for that. Much better options in Greece !

Mykonos is already beyond a joke and worse than Ibiza especially for flights due to lack of competition, but also things like taxis on the ground at night etc. It is much smaller than Ibiza though only about 1/4 the size. BA fares to JMK can set you back well over £1,000 from LHR. The place isn't even that amazing although accommodation finishes etc. usually a step up from Greek norms. But you're paying through the nose for that. Much better options in Greece !

Santorini is another IG hotspot

Funny thing is what they don't tell you is whilst it looks all peaceful and beautiful on Instagram.... In reality it is crowded with people

Another dreadful IG tourist trap is Navaggio Beach in Zakynthos - I have a friend who sometimes does overnight kayak trips out there where you sleep on the beach for the night and get to play castaways in the morning ... because that's the only time you're going to enjoy the place before making a hasty exit. From the time the first boat arrives full of sightseers in arm bands it's a production line of 2 minute selfie extravaganzas before they all get summoned back on the tannoy and the next one spews its cargo onto the sand. At least it keeps them all away from the really good spots on the island which are some of the most beautiful anywhere in the Med.... and I had 2 of them entirely to myself for a whole half day each last weekend ;)

34321838_1862523953814248_4426931033752993792_o.jpg

34511296_1864843816915595_3245849923962273792_o.jpg

Last edited:
Am actually warming to the idea of trying to do a whole peaktime week in Ibz for €99 & then creating a story out of it. I actually think it is doable with a bit of forward planning, luck and tight arse ruthlessness.

Alone? Without a doubt, and it would be a blast! Imagine how drunk you could get in the heat with just a breakfast roll your belly!

Find some way to make it more extreme (like stay nude 100% of the week at es Cavallet, with no parasol), then call Vice....

Am actually warming to the idea of trying to do a whole peaktime week in Ibz for €99 & then creating a story out of it. I actually think it is doable with a bit of forward planning, luck and tight arse ruthlessness.

Isn't that what @Aaron_2014 tried to do by foregoing accomodation? Think he lasted 4 days as an ibicenco hobo before the sleepless hallucinations got the better of him.

I remember him!! X-treme Budget Ibiza :lol:

I was thinking more along the lines of turning up in a fully fuelled van with a partially-stocked solar-powered fridge, not eating out and hanging around the free events. Or is that cheating?

Back