Ibiza...is it so quiet this year???

dancemaster

For the first time in 3 years i've been reading this board people keep saying that this year is too quiet...according to i-v numbers are down mrlk says that we love opening wasn't busy,then he posts a picture of an empty sunset strip...what is really happening???
nostrum,mcrackin...what is your opinion???
what about the people that already been there this year???what do you say???

It was very quiet when I was there ( 1st - 8th June , Jet Apartments), but I put that down to it being the very start of the season There were quite a lot of empty apartments in Jet , not sure if that's the norm for so early in the season.

Of the places we went between 14 - 21 June:

We Love Opening - same busy-ness as every year We Love Opening imo
Subliminal - same busy-ness as Pacha normally in June (nicely busy)
Khumaras - busier than I'd ever seen it (bar completely full and loads of people sat on the rocks)
Bora Bora - only went once, lots of people on the beach but no music so bar was quiet
Blue Marlin - pretty busy til sunset
The restaurants we went to were probably a bit less busy than normal
The only difference where I really noticed how quiet it was is on the streets of PDB - seemed like a ghost town in the day :confused:

i've no idea where ibiza voice gets its figures but i have an idea that they have a political agenda and use numbers that suit it.

the truth is that statistics are not yet available for visitors to ibiza in the clubbing month of june - thus the numbers availbale have not been affected by disco closure, opening parties or anything connected with clubs.

the latest stats show that airport arrivals were 2.2% UP on last year despite the poor weather, early easter and so on.

it will be mid/late july before the june stats are produced.

any use?

alright, here's how i i felt about june so far:

beginning - say space/dc10 opening-weekender - clubs as packed as ever.

just after that: as always, there is a dump when it gets quiet again before high season starts. i personally had the impression that, compared to last year, it was quieter. i especially noticed it when i went to some opening parties: cream and cocoon for example, they were busy enough for sure, but just not as busy as i'd have expected it.

since about last weekend, i feel the island getting busier now and reaching a "normal" level.

as i said, this is not based on figures, just on my feelings when i am out and about on the island. and the pic from the sunset strip is a bit irritating, when you're there a bit later, say between 8 and 10pm, it's definitely nicely busy.

Last edited by a moderator:
... statistics ... for visitors to ibiza in the clubbing month of june...
... occupation six points down in the first two-week period of June and with less open plant ... hoteliers qualify the figures of "very bad" ... "very difficult" that the figures of July and August these descents manage to compensate ...the data of occupation of the first two-week period of June are "very bad" ... president of the Hotel Business Confederacy defines them, Roberto Hortensius, that assures that these figures "so low" along with the increase of the prices is converting the contracting from plazas to the tour operators ... Besides, to the descent adds the fact that various hotels of the island had not opened in the first two-week period of June,
with what the descent of reserves is still greater:
with less open plazas the occupation has been lower to 2007.

... Another symptom that the things do not go well is that the entry of reserves
by Internet of the Hotel Confederacy is also detecting a lowering, when up to now and since was created
there was experienced important ascents ... economic crisis ...
..."
(www.diariodeibiza.es/secciones/noti...mera-quincena-junio-menos-planta-abierta-2007)

ps:
"...
The union of "My Travel" with "Thomas Cook" and of "TUI" with "First Choice",
added to the descent of the sale of packages by the boom of Internet,
has been translated in a reduction of flights and plazas toward the Pitiüses ...
... Besides, like the wholesalers work with large chains, "each time are more the ones that opt for the plazas in the Caribbean by the attraction of the devaluation of the dollar set against the euro, in spite of the fact that the ascent of the price of the fuel would cause think that the distant destinies are less attractive.
... The Spanish market presents a certain lethargy after years of constant increments. The motive, so much for hoteliers as for agencies and Promotion of the Tourism,
is in the economic crisis.
"The people does not have money to spend and if decides to go on vacation
reduces the stay and spends less, with what the profit value descends", ...
... To the Italian market happens him somewhat similar...
... In the case of England, besides the tourist packages plazas reduction
on the part of the tour operators, weighs the devaluation of the pound,
that converts to the destiny Eivissa in less attractive "because the purchasing power
of the tourist is seen seriously diminished".
... In the case of Germany, the hub of the airport of Palma "becomes it a lot more attractive for this market".
"While it enlarges the offering of flights and plazas toward Majorca
is reduced that of Eivissa", explains Towers.
(www.diariodeibiza.es/secciones/noti...tas-resta-turistas-Pitises-beneficio-Mallorca)

hmmm. these figures were only made public yesterday so ibiza voice's article was not based on them. also they are hotel occupancy figures and not visitor numbers. icey i'm sure you could copy translate and paste some articles about the black hole that occurs between the two figures.
finally if ibiza voice wishes to imply that the downturn is due to new club opening hours or enforced closures then can they answer why the ibiza percentages are worse than mallorca but better than menorca when neither of these neighbouring islands has a clubbing scene??
there is a general downturn in the economies of western europe and usually the first effects are felt in holiday resorts.

when working i speak to shop owners, bar owners, promoters, etc, etc every day

they all say the same thing, it isn´t so much that there are less people but they are just spending less. their statistics are black and white in that their revenues have been much less so far this season.

the clubs are quite busy just not rammed, i.e. the popular parties. the ones lower down the pecking order have taken a bit of hit, for example Release Yourself and Made in Italy.

IMO the clubbing is still just as good, maybe even better on the basis that in july and august it won´t be a complete roadblock. Get out here quick!!

For the first time in 3 years i've been reading this board people keep saying that this year is too quiet...according to i-v numbers are down mrlk says that we love opening wasn't busy,then he posts a picture of an empty sunset strip...what is really happening???
nostrum,mcrackin...what is your opinion???
what about the people that already been there this year???what do you say???

LOL dancemaster, i was just logging in to ask the same question:!: But you beat me to the punch! ;)

Yeah, was wondering what is the State of the Union on the island this year????? Noticeable differences?? General "feel" of the island?? What do people think when you talk to them there??

I go in a few weeks time and to be quiet honest I don't care if some of the clubs have got a few less people in them:!::!:
Were going to party and party we will, THE WHITE ISLE is still the only place to go:!::!:

i have to second what Grego says, this could the time to make the most out of the clubs without being bounced around the dancefloor or elbowed in the back all night.

I think everywhere seems to be a little quieter, but hardly quiet. Still enough people in the clubs to make a really good atmosphere !

I went for a week commencing 18th june, and it was a lot busier than I imagined it to be! However, I should mention I had never been at this time before - I based it on how people said it compared to my usual first week of september. Also, apart from a sunday in PDB and amnesia all my time was spent in San An. There seemed to be people everywhere though - day and night.

I've mentioned in another post that a recent fourtnight in Greece was the same situation - loads of people there but all the bars were empty. The hotel owner told us that people prefer to drink in the hotels as it's cheaper and it's alot quieter than it normally is in general!! It's like this everywhere, it's just a coincidence that the new laws kicked this season......even if it is quieter this year in Ibiza is this a bad thing? maybe it will prove a point........

ladies and gentlemen - let’s face reality:
ibiza is kneedeep in ****, probably even deeper:
www.diariodeibiza.es/secciones/noti...r-Parlament-para-explicar-situacion-economica
http://translate.google.de/translat...tises-i-Balears://&sl=es&tl=en&hl=de&ie=UTF-8

... and the overall economic downturn is made even worser with this
stupid new "no dayparty/no afterhours-laws" they introduced recently.
protest against this senseless crap is growing:
www.diariodeibiza.es/secciones/noti...an-contra-nuevo-horario-locales-ocio-nocturno
http://translate.google.de/translat...tises-i-Balears://&sl=es&tl=en&hl=de&ie=UTF-8

icey, get over it. the whole spanish economy is in turmoil - not just ibiza. the building industry and housing market in the costa del sol and costa blanca has collapsed, last year all the talk was of sandwich tourism, people on holiday who had reduced their spending by not eating out. the pound has lost 25%, interest rates in spain are higher, and flights and food cost more because of the fuel prices. it seems to me that the only senseless crap being spoken is by people who's agenda involves criticising the new government's anti drugs, clean up ibiza's image measures.

...the whole spanish economy is in turmoil - not just ibiza ...
maybe ´m wrong - but i think that´s exactly what i wrote here:
... the overall economic downturn ...

...- the building industry and housing market ...collapsed,
- ... people on holiday ... reduced their spending by not eating out.
- the pound has lost 25%,
- interest rates in spain are higher ...
- flights and
- food cost more because of the
- fuel prices...
yes, and you can go on with this list ...

... it seems to me that the only senseless crap being spoken is by people
who's agenda involves criticising the new government's anti drugs,
clean up ibiza's image measures.
but what you call "clean up ibiza's image measures" is the wrongest thing they can do
at this point, where people are already "confused" anyway ...

and probably there are not many people outside of ibiza (= potential tourists)
which where heard saying: "great - these clean up ibiza's image measures are fantastic, let´s go to ibiza now" ...

Numbers

I went for a week commencing 18th june, and it was a lot busier than I imagined it to be! However, I should mention I had never been at this time before - I based it on how people said it compared to my usual first week of september. Also, apart from a sunday in PDB and amnesia all my time was spent in San An. There seemed to be people everywhere though - day and night.

Hey, i was there too that week and it was a LOT busier than i was expecting it to be too. Cream was heaving, and Garlands was really busy too (although not packed). Sunset strip was also busy too, with the perfect amount of people and buzz about. Plus, for anyone interested, the West End seemed busier than usual for this time of year too!

We Love was not as busy though, no queue to get in or anything, and the late opening made for a wierd atmosphere - people getting way too mashed too quickly, and the tunes were not all that. I think that that is quite telling that people are a bit over the minimal stuff and also want to do Space for the terrace, not the terraza.

2pqqk4k.gif

"...
Hotels Suffering

Hotel occupancy in Ibiza and Formentera fell by over 8 per cent during the first 15 days of June compared to the same period last year. Once again the areas to suffer the most were the beaches of San Jose, including Cala Tarida and Cala Vadella, which fell by a massive 28.1 per cent from last year. In fact the study carried out by the Hotel Federation showed that only the north of the island experienced an increase from last year (+3.4%), whilst Ibiza Town (-7.1%), San Antonio and the Bay (-3.6%) Santa Eulalia (-9.8%) and Formentera (-13.2%) were all down.

The main culprits for the decline were the British and Spanish markets, both struggling to maintain numbers due to rising fuel and food costs, the credit crunch and, in the case of the former, a weak pound.

The figures caused an angry reaction from the mayor of San Jose, Josep Mari Ribas Agustinet, who demanded the system be changed and both Playa den Bossa and the bay of San Antonio, which both belong to the municipality of San Jose, be added. His words came in reaction to criticism received from some quarters about the fall in occupancy in the beach resorts of the municipality. At present the results of the bay are included in San Antonio, and Playa den Bossa with Ibiza Town.

Another worrying study, this time carried out by the National Institute of Statistics, showed that the average stay had fallen below five days for the first time in the island's history. In May 2000 the average stay was 6.5 days, whilst this May it had fallen to 4.5 days, a concerning downturn.

Furthermore, later in the week combined figures from the ports of Ibiza and la Savina (Formentera) showed 9,000 fewer passengers had arrived on the two islands during May compared to the same month last year.

The fusion of the four biggest tour operators within the British market was also blamed for the decrease in numbers of British tourists. The president of the Sirenis hotel chain, Pedro Matutes, claimed the merger of Thomas Cook and My Travel, and First Choice with TUI, had ensured a decrease in flight seats to the island, something which was benefitting Mallorca, seen as a more profitable route for most of the operators.

The negative results came as the president of the Hotel Association of Ibiza and Formentera, Roberto Hortensius, met with the president of the Balearic Government, Francesc Antich, and demanded another golf course be built on the island, as well as a general improvement made to the water purifiers on the island, especially the one in Ibiza Town. During the meeting Antich revealed the average tourist spend had fallen in the Balearics during May, with each spending €68.80 per day, including accommodation, down 4.3 per cent from last year.

However, it seems the worst is still to come and all agreed
2009 was shaping up to be an incredibly difficult year.
..."
(ibiza-sun)

2pqqk4k.gif

Another worrying study, this time carried out by the National Institute of Statistics, showed that the average stay had fallen below five days for the first time in the island's history. In May 2000 the average stay was 6.5 days, whilst this May it had fallen to 4.5 days, a concerning downturn.

(ibiza-sun)

Guess this is the report whe've been waiting for the last few days and shoudn't come as much suprise to anyone. Does the governmet really don't see the link between the clubbing legislation and decrease in number of days staid? Looking at the trip reports it seem like more people(/clubbers) use Ibiza as a break for a party than a proper vacation this year than eariler.
I usually stay between a week or two. This year I headed down for the WLS opening, DC10, Cocoon and headed back on Tuesday. When I have been earlier I haven't been at more than 2 (4) parties over 1 (2) weeks. This year I did just as much partying but skipped everything else as more police, no beach music(!) and stricter rules in general isn't exactly attractive for a holiday destination (and PDB is turning into a dump).

Cool does this mean the after hours will be brought back to save tourism? ..........:twisted: no, thought not :eek:

My boss has just returned from a fourtnight in Santa Eulalia and he said it was packed as was Ibiza town......incedently, he hates clubbing and said it was the best holiday he's had for years and is going back next year - he said he saw plenty of clubbers etc but said the atmosphere was great!!

Back