*** ibiza gossip 2019 ***

It's an interesting topic. Generally I prefer long sets, however in Circoloco I kinda like this approach. The djs need to bring their A game in a couple of hours with the pressure of knowing that they will be compared with the last ones, or the next ones... You don't have "warm-up" sets, you have raw talent/music from start to finish.

I've always get out of circoloco with the sense that dj A or dj B was the best of the night. (I'm a terrace lover, don't know if the same is true in the main-room, I never spent an entire night there).

The last circoloco I've been, I had Dj Tennis, followed by Tale of Us, then Troxler.
And for me Dj Tennis destroyed the place, it was awesome... and it was kind of interesting to see that Tale of Us, and Troxler couldn't build their sets with same consistency... Anyone of those guys would make an incredible all night set though! I think that is a great test for any dj, to play in that terrace.

These DJs don't play accordingly to what the previous DJ played or to what the DJ after is gonna play. They stick to their sound and move on. They don't even attempt to mix into each other's sets.

Part of this is audience's expectations- we know how DJ XYZ plays and want them to play their sound. The other is their egos and being selfish and wanting to push their style to others. At Circo last year, I saw Ben UFO play a banging set and then Patrice Baumel was scheduled after him and brought down the energy with his slow proggy deep style.

It's not limited to Circo though- this happens everywhere with these big DJs. It's still not acceptable IMO. They should be going with the vibe of the party

These DJs don't play accordingly to what the previous DJ played or to what the DJ after is gonna play. They stick to their sound and move on. They don't even attempt to mix into each other's sets.

Part of this is audience's expectations- we know how DJ XYZ plays and want them to play their sound. The other is their egos and being selfish and wanting to push their style to others. At Circo last year, I saw Ben UFO play a banging set and then Patrice Baumel was scheduled after him and brought down the energy with his slow proggy deep style.

It's not limited to Circo though- this happens everywhere with these big DJs. It's still not acceptable IMO. They should be going with the vibe of the party

that's an interesting topic... bäumel after ufo doesn't make sense in my opinion. i think that bäumel is "down on earth" extremely, but the most acts are not able to bend too much within their sound spectrum...

sometimes - especially when there are several headliners - a reasonable construction of atmosphere is not possible because of the booking schedule of the acts. unfortunately the double/triple bookings are at the cost of the visitors. on the other hand i can understand promoters which cannot/don't want to afford a headliner for primetime.

i'm always amazed and shocked about the schedules of some acts - especially around nye, eastern... it's unbelievable (f.e. pan-pot played three gigs within (about) 12 hours on new years eve - rome in the evening, amsterdam in the night time, berlin in the morning).

Last edited:
somehow this topic is also related to the "b2b" problem... most of the b2b sets are quite "improvable" as the acts/headliners have their (small) sound spectrum they move... when you only give them one hour (for example IMS) and everyone wants to promote the "new bombs of the season", it can be quite exhausting. i'm curious about it...

btw: bäumel wrote something very interesting about b2bs here

Not sure I agree with that mate. It sounds like rank bad programming to me. But I’m not getting much love for my views on long and short sets here (it’s best not to be remotely controversial on this forum I find, yet anything controversial stimulates more debate than anything else apart from Sven Vath) so you may well be right.

somehow this topic is also related to the "b2b" problem... most of the b2b sets are quite "improvable" as the acts/headliners have their (small) sound spectrum they move... when you only give them one hour (for example IMS) and everyone wants to promote the "new bombs of the season", it can be quite exhausting. i'm curious about it...

btw: bäumel wrote something very interesting about b2bs here

I find it’s completely the opposite. No bombs, they play within themselves and within that small spectrum you describe. I find these sets to be another race to the bottom where both djs are reluctant to offer anything like a peak moment.

I don’t understand the reluctance to play good music and drive each other to play better music. Please don’t take that as a request to play a steam of bangers, it’s not.

Right, I’m going to say it. There are so many big name djs out there earning big money, being PRd within an inch of their life, playing lots of gigs and doing so on the back of playing absolutely shit music. And it’s turning people off ibiza. It’s soulless, energyless boringness and it will be the death of the mass semi-underground market in Ibiza and that was the critical mass. That could end up being a positive thing for the likes of me and others eventually but it’s like watching a slow death in the meantime, especially on a short stay when dates are limited. And yes, I realise I am putting restrictions on myself but my overwhelming feeling is where has the fun in the music gone?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only ever heard good things of Patrice ?

Yo he's good man. I just legit bought his new Global Underground on CD and I'm a huge fan of his productions. His set on his own was good at Circo Loco that night, but like it just didn't fit the vibe. But since I'm a fan, I was okay with hearing his sound.

It was obvious that Circo Loco organized the lineup based on popularity that night, but they shouldn't. And some DJs do mix into each other (I.e. Kravitz into Carl Craig at a Cocoon 2017 date comes to mind), but a lot of times they don't and it's kinda annoying when there's this gap in the music

Yo he's good man. I just legit bought his new Global Underground on CD and I'm a huge fan of his productions. His set on his own was good at Circo Loco that night, but like it just didn't fit the vibe. But since I'm a fan, I was okay with hearing his sound.

It was obvious that Circo Loco organized the lineup based on popularity that night, but they shouldn't. And some DJs do mix into each other (I.e. Kravitz into Carl Craig at a Cocoon 2017 date comes to mind), but a lot of times they don't and it's kinda annoying when there's this gap in the music
Patrice one of my favourite djs. Another guy that prefers the longer sets as he likes to take you on a journey. Do agree that the club should know better as to what djs to put in order in terms of the style they play.

Agree with LBS & Soha. I'm well beyond the anger stage now though. You can't fight the machine. All you can do is avoid it as best you can. The dilemma for me is when amazing djs are booked to play dire venues/crowds. You have to conduct a risk assessment in each case & decide if it is worth it. I'll wait for a few reports.

To festivals like love International in Croatia etc.

What's starting to bore me a little is every year people are eagerly awaiting the release of the club lineups but they are pretty much the same every year anyway, I don't get why people get so excited over them.
I know what you mean. Was eagerly waiting on Solumun + Claptones...maybe next year. Would have been happy with one of them ☹️

Back