*** Ibiza Gossip 2017 ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has history which is more than can be said for a lot of other nights. While it's (newish) in Ibiza it's been going in Barcelona for ages with (obviously) a massive Spainish following. It's the Brits and other tourists that are just catching on. Yeah you can argue it's gimmicks, but then it's summer and it's the antithesis of a night like ENTER where we all dress like we are going to a mass wake.

I'm guessing that like in Space last year they will have "Elrow City" in the Main Room (which is 1 DJ all night long) and then the terrace for the craziness?

The question is.... will any DJs lock themselves in to an elrow residency? Maybe a few DC10 regulars crossing over?

Yeah i totally agree with all that. Also how you used ENTER as an example cause it was very dark and it lost its way slightly by staying dark for its 3 seasons and not changing much at all. I'm just thinking will Elrow ever change the formula if it were to become stale? How could they change themselves when its locked into the way it is. It would be interesting to see cause the guys behind obviously have good minds for crazy crazy shit.

taylor, it is what it is. in a way elrow is a bit like flower power - the production is an essential part of the night. I can't see it change much, why should they?

Yeah absolutely it shouldn't change if what they're doing is a success but i'd just be interested to see what way they could change it if it ever does get tired. I think its move to Amnesia is the best thing they've done though. The terrace is absolutely made for the carry on they get up to and i'm excited to get in amongst that next year. More so than when it was at Space too.

I'm just thinking will Elrow ever change the formula if it were to become stale?

I get what you're saying, but the "theme" at Elrow does change every week. Yes it's still inflatables and dancers etc, but one week it is 60s, or Wild West, or Bollywood etc. So in some ways it's the one night that does change creativity week in week out. And regardless of all that the DJs are usually quality... which is the most important thing

Aye And they can alway tweak the theme in the main room as well. The lineups were good last year. I don't think they have to worry about losing popularity any time soon for the next few years anyway especially with this new move

Are you kidding? it was unbearably crammed at times at Space...decorate up the terrace it could work amazingly well in my opinion

I couldn't lift my arms I was that crammed in!! And when I left at 01:30 because I wasn't enjoying it the queue was about 500 people strong!!

Not surprised it is gone to Amnesia as it is the commercially best option

The only thing is....everything is at Amnesia

With my plans next year I can see myself at Amnesia 4 nights of the 7 (If I can hack it)

Elrow is like the new Manumission, where its more about the show than the music, however they do get some quality djs, was surprised they got Sasha last year, would of thought it was a bit silly for him! lol

Shame it didnt go to privilege, would really like to see that place in full swing again, Cocoon was alright when it moved there back in 07, and Megenite used to be good, so a big techno night can work there!

Just a shame we lose paris hilton. Maybe she moves to monday in place of cocoon

Maybe Paris has just experienced what most of us experience, you start off liking a bit of cheesy EDM and Trance, next thing you know you're a Techno fan. Expect her to be dropping a vinyl set at Music On next year :lol:

Or dropping some "Tropical House". Are people still talking about that? I mean there were about 3 variations of the same tune.

The whole EDM thing will be quite interesting this year. This is not an anti EDM, its sh_te post blah blah blah, but seriously where is it now as a genre? If anything I think it is now evolving into a more indie-dance-pop type sound (e.g. Chainsmokers) which may suit Ibiza Rocks more. And actually some of this stuff sounds pretty good on FM Radio...

Or dropping some "Tropical House". Are people still talking about that? I mean there were about 3 variations of the same tune.

The whole EDM thing will be quite interesting this year. Where is it now as a genre? If anything I think it is now evolving into a more indie-dance-pop type sound (e.g. Chainsmokers) which may suit Ibiza Rocks more. And actually some of this stuff sounds pretty good on FM Radio...

I think it has splintered into "tropical" (urgh!) "house" as you mention, and "future" house. Certainly the big room electro sound that hijacked the progressive tag is on the decline.

It has been replaced by the sound that Disciples, Oliver Heldens, Tchami and their ilk peddle. Almost an EDM/Deep 'Ouse hybrid. No less cheesey. Merely masquerading as something more credible.

As for tropical house, didn't Ushuaia's attempt flog this summer?

Given the success of Craig David's day party, I reckon Ibiza Rocks would be silly not to give Colada Club a bit of a spruce. Bring in a resident with chart appeal - an act like Blonde would fit the bill.

bit of a blow to matinee, struggling and finishing early last season and now being replaced by the other big Barcelona brand elrow (unless they move to a different weekday at amnesia, which I doubt).

yeah but it's a blow you could foresee. matinée had been going downhill for a while already and elrow's move just makes sense.

some more gossip I've picked up since arriving back on the island: what used to be booom might reopen? under a different name again though

and there's much more that I just can't put here just yet...regarding different promoters moving venue or staying where they were last summer.

that's definitely not going to happen as the place is now a brazilian restaurant called pau brasil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back