Ibiza...Dead Or Alive??

T

Tidyboy

There has been alot of talk of Ibiza dying out, that it wasnt as good as it used to be and not as many people visiting like their used to be? I went this year and had one of the best times of my life.
How do you feel about this and will you still be going back next year? :?:

Hi,

This is a very very sore point on this website!!
before you should make any judgements it really depends on what type of crowd you are looking at.

Yes the beerboy was down this year noticeably
no the clubbers were not down, pacha, space, el divino, dc10 were always packed.
the families were slightly down.

the beerboy presence was down because through the world of t.v. they have seen that there is a sopposedly 'new ibiza', Faliraki!! they realise that they can get battered and have a quick shag for half the price!!! but most people may agree that it is good that the beerboy presence was down.

if you went to eden on any night or es paradis you would have noticed this.

the 'clubbers' were steady if not on the increase as i said space was full most days, pacha was certainly full, dc10 was always packed etc. this is good news. however these clubbers tend not to venture into san an cos of the beerboy presence, but if you ventured out of san you would notice that playa den bossa, ibiza town etc were banging.

As roger sanchez said in this months controverisal ministry mag, there are more upper class people coming.by this he just simly means no beerboys.

ibiza is going through a 'flushing out period' apparently the same thing happened in 91/92 season and looked what happened after that.

is ibiza dead........i think not, not for a long time yet!!!!

Rob

I hope thats the case robo, im heading back next yr...prob for the last time ever as well...just dont have $4000 laying around to spend every yr...but ill tell ya, Ibiza is worth EVERY penny. There have been a lot of posts about this subject...and it prob doesnt matter, but my take on this whole situation is this: if ur a true clubber, and u go there for the right reasons and in the right state of mind...Ibiza is magic...and that is prob why it will NEVER die in the eyes of the hardcore clubbers. If ur someone who justs goes there "expecting" the greatest time of ur life, it wont happen, u have to MAKE it happen.

MicheaL

I hope it's still around when I make my scheduled return in 2004.

Hey Mike, we still have to get together and swap Ibiza Tales.

Couldn't have said it better myself Robo!

I've been to Ibiza 6 times now and the only bad thing was the beerboys, but this year I was pleasantly suprised.

Stayed in Play D'En Bossa again and hardly saw any beerboys.

Definately a better class of people and dare I say it, this is why I never complained about Ibiza being expensive.

Not being a snob but I don't put myself around beerboys, scrubber families etc at home and I don't want it on holiday either.

I plan on going back next year. I had a really good time this year!! for those of you that have been there a couple of times, when do you think the best time to go is? For atmosphere/clubs/DJ's etc. I went in Sept this yr for two weeks and I thought it was great. I was thinking of going next yr for the opening of the season........what do you think??

Lindsay

Don't do that or you'll have to go again later in the season (ok if you can afford to)

We've always gone in August which is busy, probably too busy, but we need to guarantee the good weather 8) , being from England that is.

Sorry, went in July last year, there wasn't the same atmosphere as August and it was quite cool some nights.

I would like to try September escpecially for the closing parties - maybe next year.

Hi,

you know what would be good is that if these superclubs were to go back to smaller clubs maybe 1000 or 2000 capacity clubs again, that would be good again

At the moment i cannot see clubs reducing prices, i sincerly hope they do, but in the case of nights like cream, coccon, subliminal, space, clubbers are still paying vasts amount of money so the clubs will still charge vasts amount of fees. Can u imagine right paying 20 euros to go to space or subliminal sessions to see erick morrilo, fatboy slim etc. 20 euros is enough to cover the costs of the djs etc look...

so there are 5000 people in the club paying for example 50 euros a ticket

50euros@5000=25,000 euros/£166,000!!!!

6euros for water at least one person has two bottles.

12euros times 5000=60,000euros/£40,000

total nightly = £200,000
5 nights a week = £1,000,000

Now if they charged 20 euros a night it would

20euros@5000=100,000 euros/£66,666

drink = 3 euros, 2 drinks each
6 times 5000 = 30,000 euros/£20,000

total nightly = £86,666
total for 5 nights = £433,33

To be honest not sure why i just done that but it shows you that the clubs can afford to reduce their prices and still cover the costs, the reason way the prices are so much is because the club owners are greedy sons of bitch's thats all.

Rob

Ibiza will never die

Pure simple reason that people like ourselves will continue to go and go, and have the best time, every time......
.........It was the best time I've ever had when I was out there this year...(13th time) and I will continue to go....Will say though, did find the fabulous people out there in September a lot more mature....this is good..Ibiza's coming home.......
Remember Ibiza will always rock...I remember even 7, 8 years ago, hearing the same thing, The only way it will ever fall, is if the promoters continue to rip us dedicated island worshipers off.....

Remember Keep it real......#

D##

:D :D :D :D

I simply cannot imagine Ibiza not being alive and kicking for the next few years. The place is the happiest place in the world.

I read some crap in Ministry about Ibiza being dead. We should all stop reading Ministry, and kill the bloody stoopid magazine for good ;)

IBIZA LIVES, LONG LIVE IBIZA

Not being a snob but I don't put myself around beerboys, scrubber families etc at home and I don't want it on holiday either

I couldn't agree more. Got enough of that s**t in my home town. I travel for the culture and inspiration from the people and places I visit. I ain't getting that from any pisstank.

:p Ibiza will prevail :p

Robo said:
Hi,

This is a very very sore point on this website!!
before you should make any judgements it really depends on what type of crowd you are looking at.

Yes the beerboy was down this year noticeably
no the clubbers were not down, pacha, space, el divino, dc10 were always packed.
the families were slightly down.

the beerboy presence was down because through the world of t.v. they have seen that there is a sopposedly 'new ibiza', Faliraki!! they realise that they can get battered and have a quick shag for half the price!!! but most people may agree that it is good that the beerboy presence was down.

if you went to eden on any night or es paradis you would have noticed this.

the 'clubbers' were steady if not on the increase as i said space was full most days, pacha was certainly full, dc10 was always packed etc. this is good news. however these clubbers tend not to venture into san an cos of the beerboy presence, but if you ventured out of san you would notice that playa den bossa, ibiza town etc were banging.

As roger sanchez said in this months controverisal ministry mag, there are more upper class people coming.by this he just simly means no beerboys.

ibiza is going through a 'flushing out period' apparently the same thing happened in 91/92 season and looked what happened after that.

Rob

I will agree with u there mate, Space, Pacha and Cream @ Amnesia were full on packed! in fact i heard that Cream @ Amnesia and Manumission both beat their records for attendance in the club in one night so thats cool! I do hate beer boys, lol but they all tend to stick to West end like flys round sh33t! hehe

amber3 said:
I plan on going back next year. I had a really good time this year!! for those of you that have been there a couple of times, when do you think the best time to go is? For atmosphere/clubs/DJ's etc. I went in Sept this yr for two weeks and I thought it was great. I was thinking of going next yr for the opening of the season........what do you think??

Lindsay

I went to the opening parties this year and they were AMAZING, manumission was sooooooooooo packed and was MAGIC! but then the island isnt as packed out as july and august but then the prices are cheaper in june also so thats all good! hey im looking for 2-3 ppl to come and share an apartment with me for the whole summer, anyone interested?

And there was hardly any football tops this year. What a result! I think it was down to people power on this board!

(Apart from when England/Scotland were playing, which is OK I suppose)

visitibiza.com

On the subject of whether Ibiza is dead or not well the discussions will go on and on all winter.
One thing I noticed on my Ibiza web surfing missions was that visitibiza.com is currently being put together so at least people are still trying to put the island on the map.
I personally think that the Island needs to be cleaned up a bit and go back to ten years ago when it was much more fun and mysterious.
I am sure this will happen but there is a lot of work to do.

Unfortunately I couldn't make it to Ibiza this year and that actually literally hurt.

When I read all (well not all) those wonderful posts from people who had a brilliant time it made my stomach hurt realizing that I wasn't going to experience all this. But on the other hand, it also gave me I little bit of Ibiza in my own house you know. Some of the 'reports' from the real clubbers whore so vividly written that it actually felt a little bit like being there myself.

So....... I will DEFINITALY go to Ibiza next year. I really had some of the best times of my life over there, so I would be stupid not to go there again!!!
And it is a good thing that there are more stylish up for it people coming to Ibiza in stead of the beer boys.

I am hoping to meet up with some of you guys and girls next year so we can party together, in September of course.

I think you all know how I feel about the island. there are good things and bad things. I believe the bad things are beginning to overshadow some of the good, which is why I'm not going again.

I don't say this because I hate the place, or even because I am bored of it. I say this because people have to make some stand against the clubs and their mass-marketing. Not just because the blatant rip-offs damage the future tourism industry, but also because they endanger the lives of the clubbers who pay their wages.

So, if you do go, try to avoid clubbing every night and save some cash for a nice meal, some quality souviniers, a trip to a smaller club or a boating outing to Formentera. And DON'T BUY THE BIG CLUB T-SHIRTS AND CDs!!! Something's got to give.

Anyway, to answer the question, Ibiza is neither alive or dead. It is a rock, a mineral! The spirit, however, will always live on. Whether that's on the island, or the memory of clubbers, noone can tell.

But you can make a difference.

Conscientious Clubbing for the Future of Eivissa!

Well, as wise as James may be. We are all going to have this great big dilemma next year. To go or not to go?

I for one have thought about it for a while. What about having the best time of your LIFE. I mean really, I am not exaggerating. Can you actually translate this into money. I can't for one.
I had some great moments in my life but Ibiza just exceeds everything.

I really do not want to make those criminals that run Ibiza any richer than they already are but on the other hand I know that there is not a place in the world that I would want to go to rather than Ibiza (at least for the next couple of years).

But it is the whole package of Ibiza that makes it so brilliant. I don't go clubbing for more than twice a week. The restaurants, the vibe, the people, Ibiza town; almons everything is great. Should I miss out on this because it is so expensive?! Really difficult to answer for me.

Maybe this is a good topic; What is more important to you; having a great time in Ibiza and accepting it is too expensive (because it is, I know) or going somewhere else, knowing you won't have the same magical experience and feeling good about yourself because you didn't make the club owners any richer.

James, I am waiting for a brilliant reply.

belle

Compared to other parts of the world, Ibiza really isn't that bad.
Fourteen eros for a trip to formentera. A four star hotel that includes an excellent breakfeast and dinner buffet for $144. Two for one drinks!
An excellent sit down dinner in a fine restaurant in D'Alt Villa for under $50.
T shits, hats, shot glasses, sangria pitchers etc for under $10! A cab ride to Le Salinas $11.00 $2.00 Bus rides to San Antonio that run all night to Ibiza Town! The only thing that costs are the f'in clubs! We went two nights club out of the week, which was plenty and spent the rest of the time partying in the bars, and beaches (Bora Bora, Sa Trincha etc.)
Parts of the Caribbean and Italy are way more expensive in terms of food and drink. If you club every single night, sure you're going to go broke.
But if you play your cards right, you can even minamize the cover charges with flyers and some times passes.
I travel quite a bit and live in Chicago, so I thought the prices weren't that outrageous.

Back