ibiza 2019 observations

I'm gonna have to jump to the defence of Glitterbox here. This was my 6th party in 3 days. While Dixon was musically enriching, Amnesia didn't always hit the mark and Octan was pretty monotonous tech that went nowhere. After those two, Glitterbox was exactly the carefree cheesy tonic that I needed. It has a big expat following. People who wouldn't go to clubs the other 6 days of the week make Glitterbox their one big night out a week. On the contrary, I think they know exactly what they are - and they do it incredibly well.

I loved hearing Donna Summer, Dan Hartman, Kathy Sledge and then Norman do his FBS routine after a week (or season) of relentless 4/4.

It's never going to be the party to go to if you want to hear forward-thinking music, and it doesn't pretend to be.

Sometimes you do get the odd guest who will dig deep (Harvey, NOW, Luke Solomon) but for the most part it is classics the audience know and love.

Plus, with this past week being the closing I'm sure the acts went cheesier and cornier than usual to mark the occasion - in the same way that Sven pulls out all of the old favourites at Cocoon closings. I've got to say I really loved it. And they've struck a winning formula. I couldn't and wouldn't do it every week, but I can understand those based here that do - it simply guarantees a good, fun night out
I agree to a certain degree, but most people only have limited number of nights per year. I will choose a bit more carefully next time or I'm thinking, no expectations go with the flow route might be better option. I have high expectations and get really disappointed if
the night doesn't deliver musically. My problem not Glitterbox. It was a good crowd though.

I agree to a certain degree, but most people only have limited number of nights per year. I will choose a bit more carefully next time or I'm thinking, no expectations go with the flow route might be better option. I have high expectations and get really disappointed if
the night doesn't deliver musically. My problem not Glitterbox. It was a good crowd though.
Same with me... I have high expectations and get disappointed if it does not hit the mark!

This was something else I was going to post about - can't remember the last time I saw so many drunk people in an Ibiza club or how many people pulled that night!! If you want to get your end away, Glitterbox might be the night for you :lol: (Edit: not suggesting you do @Gingersolstice )
Good crowd for me was more about people not pushing and walking through me like I'm not there, I'm short I get it alot. Also didn't encounter one idiot, maybe I got lucky in another way ?

Can’t remember the last time I heard someone say they had a decent night at Circoloco either on here, or in real life to be honest. I wouldn’t touch it with a bargepole these days.

I enjoy the shit out of Circo Loco, but I always go early-mid September and at around ~8pm so, if does get packed at ~1am, I've had a good few hours.

As long as the music is decent, I'm good. Crowd is okay/friendly from what I've experienced, and dancing outside as the planes go over is cool.
The garden is also my favourite spot and I agree with you about the crowd being usually friendly, it’s just that, there is bit too much of it ?

Same here, it’s a shame as musically Circoloco is most of the time outstanding but the overcrowding definitely kills the vibe.

Yeah, overcrowding... that's why I go at the time when I do. I'd hate opening or closing or midsummer. I actually only experienced CL for the first time 3 years ago (due to fears I'd hate the overcrowding), and every time has been okay. Whenever I've left, it's not been down to how busy it is. When I went in September there, one of the rooms you could barely get into, but other room and garden were fine (still at ~2am).

nothing anyone has written or said about flower power or glitterbox will ever convince me that they aren't just glorified school disco/student union meat markets in the sunshine. i can't zone out unfortunately and musically I can't go back to when I was 18. And going purely on the pull isn't really an option anymore for an overweight, balding, coupled-up 44 year old whose socks, pants (and who knows what else..) would all be shredded with a razor-sharp carving knife.

It's one of the few (last?) parties that continues to fly the flag for gay Ibiza in the big clubs, which is sadly a pretty non-existent scene nowadays. Every club had a one big gay party when I started coming to the island. (Even Espuma has gone reggaeton - which is about as far removed from gay-friendly as it's possible to come). For that at least, it deserves a little credit.

I think we can all agree we'd rather have Glitterbox as an option, than another tech house night featuring Secondcity, Detlef & Latmun, Mason Maynard and the other cardboard cut-out mercenaries

It's one of the few (last?) parties that continues to fly the flag for gay Ibiza in the big clubs, which is sadly a pretty non-existent scene nowadays. Every club had a one big gay party when I started coming to the island. (Even Espuma has gone reggaeton - which is about as far removed from gay-friendly as it's possible to come). For that at least, it deserves a little credit.

I think we can all agree we'd rather have Glitterbox as an option, than another tech house night featuring Secondcity, Detlef & Latmun, Mason Maynard and the other cardboard cut-out mercenaries

fair point - would be good to get gay forum members opinions on this. Social attitudes and clubbing have changed so much that the old borders have come down a lot and people often hang out at the same places - maybe not at 'high street' level but definitely at underground events which pride themselves on being open to everyone.

Back