ibiza 2019 observations

nothing special, every year at the beginning of the season they show presence

I agree it's nothing unsual to see police presence at the start of the year, but I also agree with jimmiz I've NEVER seen THAT much police presence before on the roads in the past here. and I'm not just talking the past few weeks but generally it's been ramped up massively.

I agree it's nothing unsual to see police presence at the start of the year, but I also agree with jimmiz I've NEVER seen THAT much police presence before on the roads in the past here. and I'm not just talking the past few weeks but generally it's been ramped up massively.
I agree, but it’s a good thing!! The roads and driving are way to loose!! Some of crashes and abandoned cars I see on the school run are beyond belief!!

Only on the roads or in front of the clubs?

I agree as well.

mainly traffic controls really. there's the odd police control in the dc10 parking sometimes, but that's nothing new neither.
Nighttime traffic controls? Like checking breath for alcohol and saliva for drugs?
I'm not opposed to it, the contrary. But it's good to know if they do these kind of tests cause some substances can be detected for a longer time than you would expect.

Nighttime traffic controls? Like checking breath for alcohol and saliva for drugs?
I'm not opposed to it, the contrary. But it's good to know if they do these kind of tests cause some substances can be detected for a longer time than you would expect.

daytime and nighttime. and yeah, breathalyzing and drug test too.

it's simple really - if you drink or do substances, just don't drive. and as you correctly say, if you do any substance keep in mind it might indicate 'positive' for a few days still after you've indulged.

One observation is that there seems to be a lot of closed/deserted shops and bars...maybe it’s a bit early in the season but some seem permanently closed?

That We Love line-up is great. Something different for my bday this year. Each time I go, I find myself liking Benimussa more and more.

Darren Hughes strongly hinting at more parties next year as well.

I'm just back. They are currently 'replacing' the steps down to the rocks at Mambos, there is a fence up blocking access with police tape all along it. At the far end of Mambo's there is a mean-looking security guard stopping people from going onto the rocks with their own booze. The official line is that the steps needed replacing, but I mean, they've had all winter to do this. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this was the first step to stopping people going onto the rocks in front of Mambos permanently.

To be fair when it started getting really busy just before the sun disappeared, the security gave up trying to stop people as he was getting overrun....but this was a really sad sight for me and another part of Ibiza being eroded away for the cash-cow that is Mambos. You had people sitting either side of Mambos on the rocks with a big gap in between. They were letting people onto the wooden slats if you had bought a drink from the bar.....

I really hope I am wrong. Maybe some one a bit better informed can put me right on this....

I'm just back. They are currently 'replacing' the steps down to the rocks at Mambos, there is a fence up blocking access with police tape all along it. At the far end of Mambo's there is a mean-looking security guard stopping people from going onto the rocks with their own booze. The official line is that the steps needed replacing, but I mean, they've had all winter to do this. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this was the first step to stopping people going onto the rocks in front of Mambos permanently.

To be fair when it started getting really busy just before the sun disappeared, the security gave up trying to stop people as he was getting overrun....but this was a really sad sight for me and another part of Ibiza being eroded away for the cash-cow that is Mambos. You had people sitting either side of Mambos on the rocks with a big gap in between. They were letting people onto the wooden slats if you had bought a drink from the bar.....

I really hope I am wrong. Maybe some one a bit better informed can put me right on this....

from a legal point of view, they can't stop you from going there. the shoreline is always public in spain. thing is tourists obviously don't know that.

from a legal point of view, they can't stop you from going there. the shoreline is always public in spain. thing is tourists obviously don't know that.
Exactly right, as you say though most people aren't aware of this and just do as they are told. So far it is backfiring as that walkway becomes a complete bottleneck after sunset....the whole thing is a mess in my opinion

I know people who booked a table for dinner and sunset with their teenage kids I think Sasha or Digweed we're playing.. The kids loved it and got to hear DJs they liked as they are too young for the clubs.. but it cost a fortune..

I know people who booked a table for dinner and sunset with their teenage kids I think Sasha or Digweed we're playing.. The kids loved it and got to hear DJs they liked as they are too young for the clubs.. but it cost a fortune..
Mate, it has just become a tourist spot now. Groups of hens, families (as you say), older couples with a bit of wedge behind them. I saw one family with the kids playing on their ipads literally as the sun went behind the horizon...I mean, come on. This is why it will be such a shame if they stop your ravers/young people from enjoying it from the rocks with a few cheap beers from the supermarket. There's room for everyone surely....

Used to really like Mambo pre-walkway. Turn up in your scruff, have a few beers , listen to the tunes, maybe get a lounger at the front (90s!) and see what was happening.I remember in 2002 a storm about to hit and they wound all the awnings in , and got the people still there inside and gave out free hierbas. Now it just strikes me as an efficient operation to remove as many euros as possible from peoples pockets. Minimum spend, bookings, bottle service all that "VIP" bollocks. The walkway and decking gave them the real estate at the front to give them justification for all that.

Don't get me wrong, if you are going to Ibiza for the first time, and don't know what it was like before, you'll probably still think it is amazing. They do the sunset really well, whack the volume up with 10 mins to go and the music can be really good....I still love it for the nostalgia and it can still bring a tear to the eye on your last night of your trip. But is so far removed from the free-spirited Ibiza of the past it's untrue.....

Back