*** ibiza 2018 observations ***

I am sorry but I couldn't even see Carola and I was about 10 metres from him

Did I even care? Not at all. The dance floor is where the energy is
Each to their own but, IME, if the DJ looks bored the crowd gets bored and that transmits itself to those that can't even see the DJ. Nina Kravitz springs to mind, never seen her look anything other than bored and the crowd likewise. Papa Sven or Solomun on the other hand do at least keep the crowd engaged and that's a far cry from being told every 5 minutes to "put your f***ing hands up" by some EDM nob, which I agree is shite! :)

Agree with some of what your saying about if the dj has plenty energy it transcends to the crowd

But your examples of Solomun and nina are strange

Theres a million videos of nina losing it and dancing to the music, there might not be a smile on her face but you can very much see she is feeling it. Same for Solomun

Agree with some of what your saying about if the dj has plenty energy it transcends to the crowd

But your examples of Solomun and nina are strange

Theres a million videos of nina losing it and dancing to the music, there might not be a smile on her face but you can very much see she is feeling it. Same for Solomun
I think you've misread my post regarding Solomun.

<to Eminem's Stan> Screw you Francois K for not grinning that time I turned up at your gig and paid all that money and I just wanted you to acknowledge me in the crowd and you didn't. And you were all fixated on your mixing and getting the track right when you could have been smiling and waving at me. And the whole crowd around me like wanted you to just lift your hand and transmit energy to us. Was that so much to ask for man? And you what? You wanted us to dance with each other? WTF?! Maan! Hellooo! We're not here to dance. We're here to monitor your facial gymnastics. Screw you man! Screw you! PLUR! <enter Dido>

Sign of the times I suppose. Superstar DJs on their podiums looking down on everyone expecting worship. People with their phones in the air filming it.

DJs not really playing to the crowd, just thinking of impressing other DJs with seamless mixes of the latest tracks that no one really recognises. All uploaded to whatever social media in short video bursts in order to get more likes.

Preferred older days when you went in some places or events and didn’t even know where the DJ was. No phones really. Everyone dancing together and not all standing facing the same direction like rabbits in the headlights.

Wouldn’t even say DJs put a lot into mixing back then, more like just dropping banger after banger and getting the crowd rushing. Didn’t matter if they were tunes that were a few years old. Got people buzzing as soon as they heard the intro getting dropped in. And if it didn’t they’d just f*** that record off and drop in another banger to get it back on track.

Thinking back to the Ants night I was at a few weeks ago, I’m not sure who was Djing but he randomly dropped an old EBTG tune in and the whole crowd really reacted to it and you could feel the buzz in the atmosphere pick up.

Immediately followed by some mediocre average tech-house middle of the road type track that no one really knew. Could feel the atmosphere deflate.

I am sorry but I couldn't even see Carola and I was about 10 metres from him

Did I even care? Not at all. The dance floor is where the energy is
+1 Give you another example..I saw yousef play for abode at amnesia, he just stood still looking serious but man did his set have energy ! Quality music translates onto the dance floor.

Fisher came on after he was dancing and losing himself but the music he was playing was pure shite . Almost Edm! Straight away the vibe on the dance floor was gone.

More importantly....much more importantly ..... Can anyone tell me if the Mozzes are still sent from the devil himself or have they disappeared ? please.

More importantly....much more importantly ..... Can anyone tell me if the Mozzes are still sent from the devil himself or have they disappeared ? please.

I really haven't had problem with them this season, up until the last week. And usually im the first to get bitten. So I think it really depends on where you are on the island.

The only place I really noticed it bad earlier in the summer was up by Cathy Guetta's swamp. Another reason to stay away.

Thanks, I always stay in San An, every time I've been this season I've been bitten, I mean these things hound me. Their bites are ferocious....huge red welts.

Sounds like the super SAS pure deet bad boy Spray will have to go in hand luggage.

Each to their own but, IME, if the DJ looks bored the crowd gets bored and that transmits itself to those that can't even see the DJ. Nina Kravitz springs to mind, never seen her look anything other than bored and the crowd likewise. Papa Sven or Solomun on the other hand do at least keep the crowd engaged and that's a far cry from being told every 5 minutes to "put your f***ing hands up" by some EDM nob, which I agree is shite! :)
Never seen Nina look bored, seen her look flustered trying to look for a record to change and seen her prancing around dancing looking the attention ha

Sign of the times I suppose. Superstar DJs on their podiums looking down on everyone expecting worship. People with their phones in the air filming it.

DJs not really playing to the crowd, just thinking of impressing other DJs with seamless mixes of the latest tracks that no one really recognises. All uploaded to whatever social media in short video bursts in order to get more likes.

Preferred older days when you went in some places or events and didn’t even know where the DJ was. No phones really. Everyone dancing together and not all standing facing the same direction like rabbits in the headlights.

Wouldn’t even say DJs put a lot into mixing back then, more like just dropping banger after banger and getting the crowd rushing. Didn’t matter if they were tunes that were a few years old. Got people buzzing as soon as they heard the intro getting dropped in. And if it didn’t they’d just f*** that record off and drop in another banger to get it back on track.

Thinking back to the Ants night I was at a few weeks ago, I’m not sure who was Djing but he randomly dropped an old EBTG tune in and the whole crowd really reacted to it and you could feel the buzz in the atmosphere pick up.

Immediately followed by some mediocre average tech-house middle of the road type track that no one really knew. Could feel the atmosphere deflate.

I think what's more a sign of the times is the inability to have a nuanced debate on the internet. I made, what I thought was a relatively uncontentious point, that I think the atmosphere is better when the DJ is engaged with the crowd and yet here we are, just a few posts later constructing straw men out of EDM, mobile phones and superstar DJ worship :D Ironically, there were no mobile phones or superstar DJs when I started my raving career and we used to have to chase round the M25, looking for phone boxes to find out where to go - and I still preferred the gig if the DJ was having fun ;)

Feel free to disagree (as most of you have to be fair) with what I said, but not what you *think* I said, and it would be even better if you could do it without the condescension and musical snobbery :)

Oh, and I'll give Nina another try then as it sounds like I've picked a few duff gigs (she really was terrible at Love Family Park), but I'd still far rather listen to her other half!

Nothing new (and i dunno if it’s just because im getting a bit older) but there was alot of youngins at sunset tonight purely there for instagram getting lots of photos took then spending ages editing them

Sign of the times eh

Sometimes how into it a DJ looks can improve or detract from a night. It’s not always about jumping around though... Eats Everything for example jumps around every gig but it just looks forced to me whilst Dixon only just gently sways from side to side but you can tell he is really thinking about his selections - which for me is more interesting to watch.

Back