*** ibiza 2018 observations ***

no, as far as we are aware they are focussing all their energy on cova santa's woomoon that day. there might be changes, but for now I don't think there will be a regular event at amnesia on sunday nights.

wow. amnesia of all places closing the club every sunday even during peak season is huge. no recipe against cream and solly.

I think that's been one of the biggest issues over the years of late, too many venues and nights trying to take a slice of the pie. Especially since the likes of Ushuaia, Destino, Cova have been introduced.

Should be quality over quantity. Makes perfect sense to have a night off rather than a poor night with a half full venue at best.

wow. amnesia of all places closing the club every sunday even during peak season is huge. no recipe against cream and solly.

I genuinely don't get what you mean by saying 'amnesia of all places'...?

okay, so first things first. I haven't said they will be closed every sunday even during peak season. it might be the case, but this isn't confirmed yet and we all know things can change quickly here.

but I think this is a really interesting subject to discuss: not so long ago most of the clubs used to have a night off (some even more). having a 7/7 nights programming is a pretty recent phenomenon (say last decade). if amnesia in the end decide to stay closed on sundays (or if any other club would decide to stay closed on one night per week), this directly has a list of consequences, which actually aren't all negative. sure, you don't make a single penny that night. BUT: if you open a club 6 nights out of 7, then from the very start of the season each and every employee knows their day off (in amnesia's case it would be sundays). this makes it super easy to plan - you don't need to hire any extra staff, everyone simply knows they work from mon to sat and sun is off. no chief of staff having to plan shift plans etc. it is a very cost-effective solution. plus, in amnesia's case, they do a super long woomoon season at cova santa this year, end of may to start of october from what I know. this means that some of the amnesia staff that want to earn some extra bucks will then work at cova santa on sundays - pretty clever I think.

the simple truth is, no club on the island has more than 4 or 5 nights a week where they REALLY smash it. and traditionally, every club has at least one really weak night a week, often even 2. and if you take this fact into consideration, it sort of starts making sense to ponder as to whether you want to earn less (meaning possibly lose money) by staying open and having a weak night or instead directly spend less (but not lose any money) by staying closed. it's a numbers game and if you play it right, staying closed a night per week might actually get you a better result at the end of the season.

okay, so first things first. I haven't said they will be closed every sunday even during peak season. it might be the case, but this isn't confirmed yet and we all know things can change quickly here.

but I think this is a really interesting subject to discuss: not so long ago most of the clubs used to have a night off (some even more). having a 7/7 nights programming is a pretty recent phenomenon (say last decade). if amnesia in the end decide to stay closed on sundays (or if any other club would decide to stay closed on one night per week), this directly has a list of consequences, which actually aren't all negative. sure, you don't make a single penny that night. BUT: if you open a club 6 nights out of 7, then from the very start of the season each and every employee knows their day off (in amnesia's case it would be sundays). this makes it super easy to plan - you don't need to hire any extra staff, everyone simply knows they work from mon to sat and sun is off. no chief of staff having to plan shift plans etc. it is a very cost-effective solution. plus, in amnesia's case, they do a super long woomoon season at cova santa this year, end of may to start of october from what I know. this means that some of the amnesia staff that want to earn some extra bucks will then work at cova santa on sundays - pretty clever I think.

the simple truth is, no club on the island has more than 4 or 5 nights a week where they REALLY smash it. and traditionally, every club has at least one really weak night a week, often even 2. and if you take this fact into consideration, it sort of starts making sense to ponder as to whether you want to earn less (meaning possibly lose money) by staying open and having a weak night or instead directly spend less (but not lose any money) by staying closed. it's a numbers game and if you play it right, staying closed might actually get you a better result at the end of the season.
Joint 1st post of the year.

I've been coming to Ibiza "only" 11 years so you're right, I never experienced any of the big three (space, pacha, amnesia) closed on a day durig season.
I understand your point, very legit. I for one as an entrepreneur would always go for opening up anyway for the 'weak' night, with less personell, only one floor, cheaper residents etc. if only to try a new idea, concept, style and see how it develops. when they opened cs for woomoon they had to give it a chance too.
guess it's just a different philosophy of leading your business. But I see the advantages it brings closing the club sundays.

I know we aren't all massive MusicOn fans, but some good club room nights in the listings. Still some big names there, but I like some of the lesser known names there too. Thoughts?

I agree although i still would wouldn't step anywhere near it, but have to shout out August 10 for Jesse Calosso b2b Jean Pierre. Jean Pierre is a staple in the Ny scene and thats a nice booking for him, he's a friend of a lot of people in the circle of people i associate with so good on him for this one.

the simple truth is, no club on the island has more than 4 or 5 nights a week where they REALLY smash it. and traditionally, every club has at least one really weak night a week, often even 2. and if you take this fact into consideration, it sort of starts making sense to ponder as to whether you want to earn less (meaning possibly lose money) by staying open and having a weak night or instead directly spend less (but not lose any money) by staying closed. it's a numbers game and if you play it right, staying closed a night per week might actually get you a better result at the end of the season.
Great post.

Think we are definately seeing a shift in styles this year with a big decline in EDM in this year in the lineups.

Ushuaia for example was the home of ‘everybody ffffin jump’ EDM until recently with only Ants being non EDM, now they still have Ants, but also Dystopia, Tinnie Tempah and while Kygo is very commercial his sets are a lot more chilled than the in your face EDM, so over half the lineup is now a different genre there.

There will of course be some nights that go by the wayside and dont last the season, but it seems a more diverse lineup to me.

Real shift in tempo in San An the past few days.
There's PRs on the West End (though it's still quiet), the looky-looky men and women have arrived and all of the bars along the promenade are now open.
The slingshot was opened for the first time yesterday and there's a rowdiness that wasn't about last week.
Oh, and @Dirk Bigler - Wips opened today!

hows the 3am closing time going down with owners / workers and punters?

probably a little early to tell really.

let's not forget not all of san an closes at 3am - places like itaca will still be able to stay open until 5.

I thought Itaca closed, or is closing after this year?
Or did I completely misinterpret something

Back