*** ibiza 2018 observations ***

I was afraid of this ugh. Lineup was alright but I dunno

Their nights are gonna get better tho soon.

With the lineup I thought it would be a lot busier... - roughly 150 people on the dance floor of the terrace at 3am maybe

I just decided to enjoy the whole of Amnesia for a couple of hours for the rare time you had a lot of room but the atmosphere was very poor for me

Maybe they should close a room until it becomes more popular?
Though is this night being advertisied as an LGBT night?

I read this Mixmag article this morning which says numbers on the island are down in general. Is it right?
http://mixmag.net/read/ibiza-hotels-slash-prices-as-tourist-bookings-see-sharp-decline-news

I mentioned that it felt much quieter than last year and workers on the island were mentioning this to me

Hotel prices are getting silly tbh for what you get even if it is seasonal

Bare in mind airlines are now directing a lot of flying back to Morocco and Turkey.

Dalaman Turkey is currently one of if not the most popular destination this summer. This is hitting Spain

Weather has been phenomenal in the UK (and elsewhere in Europe) this summer. Anyone who might usually consider a last minute trip away for the weekend might have had second thoughts this years seeing as they can BBQ, sunbathe and party at home?

Interesting that UK clubs suffer terribly when a) the weather is hot and b) during WC and Euro campaigns, so I bet they're feeling the pinch this summer too.

Weather has been phenomenal in the UK (and elsewhere in Europe) this summer. Anyone who might usually consider a last minute trip away for the weekend might have had second thoughts this years seeing as they can BBQ, sunbathe and party at home?

Interesting that UK clubs suffer terribly when a) the weather is hot and b) during WC and Euro campaigns, so I bet they're feeling the pinch this summer too.

Agree on this. It must have stopped quite a few people who would normally have another ‘cheeky weekend’. We probably having best summer since 2003. BA have been discounting their fares a bit to Ibiza. There were a few sub £200 returns last week on offer.

Without a doubt this is the case - with the exception of the World Cup loss right now, its a great time to be in the UK!

A certain hotel chain has been emailing me some generous discount offers all summer. Get yourselves on those mailing lists!

All good points but one of the primary reasons is the huge increase in hotel fares, which the article doesn’t mention.

World cup and hot weather is a factor but not for a place like Ibiza. Not enough anyway in my opinion
The hotel prices in Bossa are laughable.... Then 2 star hotels in San An without breakfast rocking around £100 a night min

Also IG seems to be saying Mykonos more than Ibiza this year

Many factors but hotel prices are an issue and actually something that is a problem for me right now wanting to go in August

I read this Mixmag article this morning which says numbers on the island are down in general. Is it right?
http://mixmag.net/read/ibiza-hotels-slash-prices-as-tourist-bookings-see-sharp-decline-news

Getting too greedy with the pricing, wages in the UK have barely kept pace with inflation and in real terms are still worse than the 2008 crisis. You’ve got to be earning a decent amount of even do a ‘budget’ week in Ibiza these days.

Some of the hotels have refurbished and gone upmarket, which on one hand is good that they are investing in facilities, but is the market (particularly in San An) ready and willing to pay more for better hotels?

Also the press about 3am finishes on the West End doesn’t help, even if in reality it hasn’t changed things much. Some will see later finishes in Maga/Malia/Kavos for half the hotel cost and book there instead.

Yes the World Cup is a factor, but there is a Euros or World Cup every two years so its not out of the ordinary. And while England have done well, Germany went home early and Italy didnt even qualify, so its swings and roundabouts in terms of nationalities that visit Ibiza

That exchange rate nonsense is a myth regarding the UK. (Can't comment on elsewhere in the world). Even when flights are at their most expensive (£250 return) I'd far rather justify that that the equivalent cost in fuel to the next nearest (decent) beach resort.
From Kent it'd cost me considerably more in petrol/train/coach to get to Cornwall and back than any flight to Ibiza. Even last minute. There's just no comparison.
Cornwall may - or may not - have good weather, but it's no hub for nightlife. So the choice is pretty simple for me.
Any money i'd potentially save on not exchanging my money to a foreign currency, I'd lose on other transport costs - flying is still far and away the most economic method of travel.

Okay, i'd add I'm a young(-ish) person without kids. So if my circumstances were different, maybe I'd think otherwise. But £50 flights to Ibiza (if you book early enough) or £100 fuel each way to Cornwall and back = no brainer

Back