ibiza 2007 season blowout - closing party reviews (continuous)

And this was the last deep breath of summer 2007 clubbing in Ibiza…a marathon! :twisted:

Matinée closing (space), Saturday October 6

Alright, matinée starts at 8am but for some washing machine incident, I only got there at 1pm. Anyone remember that stupid washing machine tune from 2005? I now even have some understanding why the man sounds so angry…washing machines should work and that’s it :evil: But nevermind, it was still OK like this because I knew that a) matinée would be still on for a few hours and b) more fun and dancing was waiting for me during the next few days!

When I got there, the discoteca was open as well as both terraces (main and sunset). All 3 rooms were perfectly busy and none of them jam-packed. I switched between all the floors but at some point I just stayed on the sunset terrace – because it is just nice to dance in the sun with so many gorgeous looking girls and boys and the vibe was perfect there. Music-wise, here’s what I remember: felix’ don’t you want me, domino from oxia, rapture from iio, knights of the jaguar, insomnia by faithless, raining down by moby, bob sinclar’s world hold on, umbrella from angello & ingrosso (bootlegged with madonna’s frozen – fookin awesome!), then sash – Ecuador, bullet in a gun, disco volante, desert rose (remix) from sting and last (and least) samim’s heater. Plus much, much more good tuneage, thousands of smiles, people basically just having a wicked time in space! New discovery for me this time: jordi lights and Sergio b. two relatively young dj’s with a lot of energy. Fantastic!!!! :D 8)

The discoteca closed at around 6:30pm and both terraces closed at around 8pm (bit early, isn’t it?), which meant space had just a 12hour recovery before the first clubbers would arrive again for one final session…

the matinée-mob instead moved over to bora bora. I also went for a bit and heard stuff like “for an angel”, “twisted” (unbelievable – trance at bora bora!), then the drill, and audion’s mouth to mouth amongst many other choons.

In space, we were given invitations for a party at underground which sounded cool, but on the other hands, km5 had its closing party that night. In the end we decided to go to km5 for a bit. Looked like a very social event…many many island faces, owners of restaurants for example, and km5 got really busy that night. I left at some point because it got really cold and I needed some sleep.

Space closing, Sunday October 7

The day had come. After a season full of many brilliant nights, there was just one more party to do at space – the closing. The dj lineup was impressive and so we really had to figure out a plan where to be at what time…

But before, I first had a lovely tomato and mozzarella salad and then a huuuuuge portion of pasta (viva carbohydrates!!!) at home – I didn’t even touch my washing machine today :lol: (luckily got enough fresh clothes left). So, with full stomaches and loaded with passion and stamina, we were heading towards space at around 4pm. Got in very quickly, almost no queuing at all this time. we directly headed towards the flight area (or simply the car park), where dj oliver already was playing. In his two hour set, he basically dropped all the hits from the summer. Very predictable, but nice in a way, because after a summer full of parties, it’s cool to have all the hits together and it suited the sunny car park and was a good warm-up for us as well. After him, deep dish followed. First, ali (dubfire) played, took it quite deep, and then it was sharam’s turn who brought the energy back. Liked it lots, it was especially nice with the fading sunlight 8). next one was fedde le grand, who played much better than I expected and not as half as commercial as I would have thought. Very enjoyable electro-house sound. Mid-through his set, I took a break from the car park, made my way through the sunset terrace, where the matinée dj’s (j. louis and taito tikaro) were spinning their trademark sound, and to the main terrace, where paul oakenfold was playing. I stayed there for a while and what I got was a blend of progtrancelectrohouseclassics. Alright, but nothing overly special. Made my way back to the car park then, via sunset terrace again (where tom novy was dropping greece3000) for the last two open-air hours. Steve lawler had taken over control and delivered a quality techhouse set, deep in the beginning and very energetic later. Around midnight my friends left (because they are lightweights and wanted to save their energy for dc10 :lol:). I got hungry and so I ate a sandwich while listening (and still shaking my butt) to lawler’s last tunes. Last flight area track of this year was a great classic, jaydee’s plastic dreams.
OK. You all know the score, whenever all the areas at space opening and closing are opened, it’s normally perfectly busy everywhere (so it was at this year’s opening and closing). But once the outside bits close, it gets ridiculously busy on the remaining floors for a while. Made my way into the discoteca, where I got the rest of felix da housecat’s set. He was banging out the stuff and just got softer for his last track – Nathan fake’s “the sky was pink” – simply one of my alltime favourite tracks – brilliant!!!! :p
After him, green velvet took over and kept up the energy. I made a short visit to an unbelievably packed main terrace, where mr French cheese david guetta was spinnin, looping and tricking around with bootlegs. Definitely to busy in there and not my kinda stuff soundwise, so I went to el salon to say hi to ramon castells, who played some brilliant house tracks in there, laidback in a way, but still enough going at the same time. Back then into the discoteca for more dirty banging electronic music provided by green velvet. Apart of wooly’s erotic discourse, I hardly recognised any tunes he dropped. But everyone in there loved it. Also the discoteca was full, but still bearable.
At 3am, deep dish were back for their second performance. Their set was something between techno, techhouse and prog. Stayed there for an hour and then went back to the main terrace, where danny tenaglia was the master of the disaster. This terrace was still very full, but already much better than two hours before. You actually could dance again in there. Danny tenaglia was playing very energetic then as well, good tribal stuff. At that point I couldn’t decide between the discoteca (dd) and the main terrace (dt), so I switched around and got axwell’s “I found u” from deepdish and deux “sun rising up” from danny. After a while, I found deepdish were getting boring so I stayed on the main terrace, found a great place to dance and enjoyed dt’s set, which got more and more soul by every minute and turned from a relatively unspectacular set (in the beginning) into a real monster. The later it got, the more old stuff he dropped, from very old acid house vocal samples over a brilliant house version of REM’s “losing my religion” (of course with everyone singing along) to the acappella version of donna summer’s “I feel love”. The end came with queen’s “we will rock you” (with danny chanting “space will, space will rock you”), followed by another very old house track, not sure about the name though, might be “your lovin” or something like that?
Then danny did a final speech, which contained thanking all the space crew for a brilliant year, a very clear “fook president bush” message and then bringing deep dish (who obviously had stopped a bit before in the discoteca), behrouz, davide squillace and luciano into the dj booth with the crowd cheering. Just before everyone was leaving, he took the mic up one more time and started singing the beatles’ yellow submarine. Such a moment. 7:30am on a Monday morning and all the remaining party people singing together…wow! :eek::D

After a 15hour non-stop dancing session and a singing lesson at the end, I walked out of space and first headed to the beach, where my feet got a nice saltwater cure and I enjoyed a very calm sunrise at the same time. bliss. Then back home for breakfast (hungry again), a hot shower and a deep dive into my bed…

282663467.jpg

Circoloco closing (dc10), Monday October 8

I woke up early in the afternoon and first answered some text messages of friends who were asking if I was still alive. Sure I am, what do you think guys? ;) then I had another massive breakfast (energy!!!), another revitalizing shower and soon was ready to go to dc10. but as my friends (who had slept all night…) were late, we only got to that very discussable place at around 6pm. But nevermind, at least it was still bright – and that’s when I love dc10 the most.

So whenever we arrived, we first fought our way trough the mud, it had rained early in the afternoon and because of this the fields around dc10 were quite soaked. But the club itself wasn’t in a bad state.
Again (like last year I think), they had transformed the garden (which is used as a chillout space during the season) into a third dancefloor and this was the place to be during the first hours. Sun had come back and finally we got some REAL open-air fun again. Talking about fun, friends of us brought a bag full of toys and so we were very busy fooling around in the garden with oversized doctors/nurses tools and so on…good fun :lol::lol::lol: and I also liked the fact many people were wearing fancy dresses again.

282663474.jpg

282663471.jpg

Let’s talk about the music now. To be honest, I thought the first hours in the garden were quite average. I only really liked the sound from about 9:30pm till midnight (means the rest of Zip’s set, then Luciano’s and the first bit of Tania’s). This was the running order of the garden:

16:30 – 18:00 Melchior Productions
18:00 – 19:00 Clive Henry
19:00 – 21:00 Rhadoo & Pedro
21:00 – 22:30 Zip
22:30 – 23:30 Luciano
23:30 – 01:00 Tania Vulcano

We left the garden around 1am and went to the car for a short break and a snack. When we came back, Tania Vulcano was still playing, but we then made our way inside dc10 and on to the terrace, where dinky was delievering a really good techy set, haven’t heard her banging it out like this before. At 2am, Luciano arrived for his second performance and I can only say that, musically seen, he saved dc10 closing for us. The tunes he played, the energy his set had – just amazing! This was the running order of the terrace:

12:00 – 13:30 Andrew Grant
13:30 – 15:00 System of Survival
15:00 – 16:30 Mirko Loco
16:30 – 17:30 Mambo Tour live (Argenis Brito & Pier Bucci)
17:30 – 18:30 Timo Maas
18:30 – 20:00 Dan Ghenacia
20:00 – 22:00 Vera & Dorian Paic
22:00 – 23:30 Matthias Tanzmann
23:30 – 01:00 José de Divina
01:00 – 02:00 Dinky
02:00 – 03:00 Luciano

After another 9 hours of dancing, we got tired at around 3am. Looking at the running order, we were expecting Luciano to blast out one final brilliant tune..but this just didn’t happen, at least not at that time. at around 3:30am, I took a look at the dj booth and saw dinky had come back and now her and Luciano were spinning back to back. Eh? Then my friends really wanted to leave and also I was fine with calling it a night. According to Fusion (this man is really hardcore :eek:), dc10 (inside & terrace) stayed open till about 5am and Luciano played till close!

Home then and straight to bed…

Some more thoughts about dc10, if I may add. For the closing, all 3 areas were full from about 9pm onwards and generally through the season, dc10 was always packed. So…dc10 surely IS successful. And still, every year you hear the same rumours – it will be shut down. This year even more as we could read the place hasn’t the correct licenses and, sobretodo, the district of San José is now planning to adapt the law which is already valid for the district of San Antonio, which forbids the clubs to stay open during the day. This would mean no more afterhours, neither at space nor at dc10. but does it mean no more daytime parties at all? We’ll see. I could imagine the clubs open sometime mid-afternoon and then (maybe?) just stay open all trough the night till 6am…? (or with a break?) Like this, the 24hr non-stop-clubbing would be stopped and we still would get some daytime partying, which would be great. In fact, isn’t it nicer when everybody comes to the party in a fresh state? Back to dc10… they really do not look like wanting their club to be shut. This year IMO, they made a transformation, more into a real club. They put windows in the open parts between the wall and the roof, they installed a new roof and an air-con, they had videoprojections and for the closing, they even had two lasers on the terrace…yes, I definitely do agree that the terrace has lost its oudoorsy feeling now (which really is a pity), but the music is as good as ever (this year it’s even been better because definitely less minimal and more techy) and the parties are still crazy. So maybe this is the way to “survive” for dc10? But if it does get shut, then I (and surely a few thousand others) have a lot of unique memories which will last forever… :D

The Blue Marlin Party, Tuesday October 9

When I woke up at around 2pm, it just began to rain for about an hour and then sun came back. A bit unsure weatherwise. So chilled for another bit (which definitely was a good thing) and only got my body in a vertical position after 6pm. Then my friends and me made our way to blue marlin. When we arrived (just before daylight faded), the outside area was nicely busy and the music was groovy (no idea who played at that point though). We just saw Luciano leaving and got told we had just missed him. Not such a problem. yes he IS one of the greatest at the mo’, but I don’t need to hear him 3 times within 24hrs ;). I realized my legs were really tired, my feet hurt and I felt damn hungry. Luckily, I wasn’t the only one who was hungry and so we walked over to Yemanja where we had a tasty grilled beef steak. This brought some well-needed energy back. When we got back to a very busy blue marlin now and walked up to the dj booth, we saw Tania Vulcano trying to dj. She was in a really messy state and needed assistance. this funny spectacle went on for about half an hour and then the music (which was totally boring) unfortunately went off, that was about at 10pm. I heard the police had arrived and forced BM to put the music off :evil:

But the party went on, in the inside of blue marlin. Musically, it totally went uphill then. First (from 10 till midnight) Timo Maas played, then Dan Ghenacia for another two hours and then Marc Antona. All three played great undergoundy sets and we loved it. The downside of the move inside was that it really got very hot and steamy and at about 2:30am it just got too busy inside so we didn’t feel comfy anymore and left. Still, we enjoyed another 6hrs dancing and blue marlin as a spot itself is just lovely. Normally, BM is too jet-setty for me, but at this party there was a nice mixture of a bit of jet-set, a bit more workers and then mainly islanders. I am sure this was another party that went on till dawn and I’m also curious to know which dj’s played later that night! (Fusion, please? ;))

While driving home, we thought we could go to bora bora and have a look if their closing party is still running. And sure, when we got there at around 3am, the inside of bora bora was still open, really busy and rocking! We didn’t take it any further though and left soon…bedtime!

Today, Wednesday October 10

Calm. Silence. Quiet. Finally! Both my body and soul need recovery. The last few days have been really messy, but A LOT of fun all the way!!! Yes, there is another (surely great) party at Underground tonight and I’ve just seen Twisted are having the opening party of their “winter sessions” this coming Friday (at Heaven and no more Grial by the way, as reported by McR) and maybe we even pay a visit to these fiestas, but talking about the closings, that’s been it for me and I think we’ve done them properly ;)

I really like the fact that it’s very quiet again here now. Time to do things I haven’t done during the season, time to meet friends, time to go to (quiet!) beaches if the weather is warm enough (sun came back today and the forecasts for the next days don’t look too bad neither) and lots of time to think about the future as well. Ah yes, and I fixed my fookin’ washing machine this afternoon (victory!!!) and so I finally could wash all my stinky sweaty closing party clothes :D

I think I might keep a bit quiet during the next few weeks, but sometime by the end of October or beginning of November, I’ll finally put my all-season review together, which hopefully will be another lecture you’ll enjoy. So get ready for some serious reading. And i surely do hope you enjoyed reading my closing party reports. Hasta pronto amigos! 8)

282663469.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:)NOSTRUM!!

fabulous detailed full reviews- have been waiting for at least sthg. about Space final closing - but all your other 'stuff' makes me just die to remember just how special Ibiza is- despite everything.
Thanks for writing. Totally.

...Alright, matinée starts at 8am but for some washing machine incident, I only got there at 1pm. Anyone remember that stupid washing machine tune from 2005? ...

probably 'Sikk - My washing machine' :?: (someone fcuked my washing machine :D and the question is WHO fcuked YOUR washing machine :D :D)

stivi - u made my day...what a fantastic review :!: great, unbelievable...what about writing a book about ibiza clubbing? ;) :) :) ah yeah :!: 8)

oh Stivi, it always a pleasance to read your reviews ....... FANTASTIC ! :)

for people like me who must cancel their trip three days before the plane should start :( it is a little bit like to be on the island ..... thank you and thousand kisses :D

Really enjoyed that mate. It slightly eases the my feeling of loss at missing this year's closing parties.

:cry::cry:

I am sure this was another party that went on till dawn and I’m also curious to know which dj’s played later that night! (Fusion, please? ;))

I ofcourse stayed until the end which was 6AM.
Then i somehow crawled to my hotel, while riding a motorcycle (never done it before in my life, but hey - it's Ibiza so anything goes! :lol: )

Regarding who played afterwards - well i don't know his name, but a picture worth thousand words:

imgp1014kd2.jpg

Regardless, it was a pleasure seeing you at all these parties stivi and throwing a few shapes together.

Thanks for the lovely reviews that just brings me back some of those amazing memories!

Now remmeber that it's never goodbye - it's always SEE YOU NEXT SUMMER !!! :D

Tingling!

Definatlely think I need to do a closing weekend in addition to a mid season trip next yr after those descriptions!

Enjoyed all your reviews through the season.

Would be quite interested to know how you planned the whole season, how much it cost etc as Im assuming from your reports you didnt work whilst out there?

Back