ibiza 2007 season blowout - closing party reviews (continuous)

stivi

Well first I have to say I hardly can believe I am already opening this thread! My god, the season here has gone sooooo fast! Arriving here in the end of april feels like the day before yesterday and writing about the opening parties seems like yesterday. And yes, now I am already reporting about the first closing party….but hey, at least there are another 5 clubbing weeks ahead of us – and I have a feeling this will be the best (and craziest?) part of the season!

Anyway, yesterday one of my favourite parties this year had their last instalment:

The zoo project @ gala night benimussa closing party, sep 1
The parties that got bigger and bigger throughout the season. Suddenly everyone (the workers and the clubbers – maybe not the first-timers) was talking about the so-called “Zoo” (which in reality never was a proper zoo but exactly does look like one). So as they had announced their grande finale for sep 1, I knew I would be there for a bit. Arrived when it was still bright outside and noticed there were even more peeps than on the previous dates. The pit was already rocking and the ketoloco guys were hard at work dropping their really dirty electro-techy stuff. After them, germand guy alex bau took over and brought it to another level – definitely one of the best sets I’ve heard there this summer. Groovy techy energetic sound and the crowd loved it. The minx fx guys and girls were here as well of course, and doing their crazy artistic stuff at their best – including fireeaters etc! after alex bau, dc10-ressie jose de divina followed and took the energy a tad down – but brilliant music anyway! Defex, the head of the zoo project, then closed what was one of the best underground parties (always with a mixture of workers and curious holidaymakers) for me this summer.

Big respect to the whole zoo project crew and their partners. You did an amazing thing this summer and I hope your crazy Saturday afternoon/evening session will be back next season!

There are still rumours around that there will be another party at the zoo this year…I heard something like "wonderworld on sep 23", I heard some amazing dj names which I won’t publish here as long as it’s not confirmed, but it really looks that there might be another great event at galanight this season!

Now there will be a break for a bit until the rest of the closing parties start but I surely will keep this thread updated and let you know about how it was. And yes, please also feel free to add YOUR thoughts about the closings!

is that true that it was never an old disused zoo, went to the radio one secret party up there about 3 years back and with my friends to a private party up there 12 years ago, was always led to believe it was once a zoo!! its a great place for a party, although a little baking in the july/august months, always wondered y it wasnt used more for events...

is that true that it was never an old disused zoo ...
... was always led to believe it was once a zoo!! ...

"...
also known by some people who clearly dont know **** as the abandoned zoo (i have been going there since i was a baby and a: it has never been a proper zoo, b: it has never been abandoned ! ! )..... but hey, i suppose it sounds cooler saying we are throwing a party in an abandoned zoo in the hills than saying we have rented a restaurant with huge gardens, pools, etc!!
..."
(mcrackin)

http://www.spotlight-forums.com/showthread.php?t=49423

flower power closing party

flower power closing party @ pacha, sun sep 9

last flower power of the 2007 season and the first ever for me. i must say, i never was extremely tempted to go to this night as the music seemed to be not my cup of tea. right, i love oldies, but while clubbing, i love the beats.

but this was a hell of a night. you know, i always had a mixed opinion about pacha...yes, the club is very nice, the dancers and the decoration is always beautiful, the rooftop terrace is damn cool and the music and dj's are state of the art. BUT...often the vibe was missing a bit in there. many beautiful people in there, yes, but also quite many of them just standing around, sipping their drinks and posing around...

at flower power last sunday, even this negative points were deleted. EVERYONE in pacha was dancing to "lets twist again" and "sex machine", singing "love is in the air" and so on. it was my first night ever at pacha where everyone was going off properly and i loved it. best night ever at pacha - fact.

i am sure they continue doing flower power in 2008 (it's their longest-running night), so if you're on the island for one of these dates, make sure you hit pacha then - you won't regret it!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
carl cox closing party @ space, tue sep 11

yesterday night the big man closed his big night in style. and with a guest who always amazes me - laurent garnier. i arrived short past midnight and went inside to listen to the frenchman. his set was unbelievably good, a powerful tribal techy set with proggy and electro-y influences...and with some very old stuff mixed in (anyone remember "wake up"?). laurent really loved it in the discoteca, which was rammed. short past 3am, the king of clubs (aka cox) arrived in the dj booth and from then, there was no more stopping. full power techno sound for the rest of the night...with the usual mc'ing of the big black man. on the main terrace (the closed one), dj marky first played alone and when monsieur garnier had finished inside, he joined him on the terrace and they played together.

carl cox - see you on space closing and most probably next summer for another series at space!

yesterday night the big man closed his big night in style. and with a guest who always amazes me - laurent garnier. i arrived short past midnight and went inside to listen to the frenchman. his set was unbelievably good, a powerful tribal techy set with proggy and electro-y influences...and with some very old stuff mixed in (anyone remember "wake up"?). laurent really loved it in the discoteca, which was rammed. short past 3am, the king of clubs (aka cox) arrived in the dj booth and from then, there was no more stopping. full power techno sound for the rest of the night...with the usual mc'ing of the big black man. on the main terrace (the closed one), dj marky first played alone and when monsieur garnier had finished inside, he joined him on the terrace and they played together.

carl cox - see you on space closing and most probably next summer for another series at space!

I would LOVE to see Garnier with Carl cox!!!!!:twisted:

"...
but hey, i suppose it sounds cooler saying we are throwing a party in an abandoned zoo in the hills
saying it is in the hills is also estate agent speak! i may have mentioned before that it's where the mother in law goes for her pensioners' parties.

'hey we're having a rave in a pensioners' club'

I love it man!!!
OHYES-OHYES-OHYES-SPACE!!

its the nuts!

I was also there, Coxy played 11-12 on the sunset terrace, i arrived at 10.30 and caught the last of the Angels of Love DJ's who were good, then the man himself came on and played a blinding and i mean blinding set. Really top notch, some awesome tunes in there.

he kept pitching it down to end the set to screams from the crowd to carry on, then he'd pitch it back up and the whole crowd were bouncing and singing to the tune of a track that escapes me now.
Pepe the owner was on the stage alongside coxy milking it and chucking what appeared to be Euro notes into the crowd all the time. Was a phucking wicked time.
For me that was the highlight of the night, im glad i took the decision to pay the 15 euros and get in for the 11pm set.

went in to see Laurent garnier who played an immense set,
couple of my mates like drum and bass so we went in to see marky. Im no D&B fan but he played a hell of a set, he's got some serious skills, scratching and all sorts i was impressed... went back in to catch Coxy for an hour or so and that was me...

Slutfunk closing (privilege) sep 16

Slutfunk was one of the “small but fine” parties for me this summer. Never packed (no wonder on Sunday night), but always brilliant music. And in my opinion they saved the best for the rest…when i arrived at around 2am last night, sammy dee was playing – great techy stuff, wouldn’t call it minimal. Then “gallopierende zuversicht” were performing live. I already had heard them in Switzerland and they always play blinding stuff and so it was last night. Not too bleepy, not too banging, just great electronic stuff that gets you going. But sure, everyone was waiting for the big hero of the night – señor Ricardo villalobos. When he arrived (and finally had arranged his vinyls, took him ages) there was no more stopping. From 4am he took it onwards and played a great set. I didn’t stay till the very end, but still enjoyed the Chilean master dropping his energetic set – great music!!! :D

To be honest, i am already very much looking forward to monza closing on thu, sep 27 with luciano and Ricardo…i guess this will be huge! But yes, there are a lot of huge parties to come within the next three weeks!!!! :twisted:

To be honest, i am already very much looking forward to monza closing on thu, sep 27 with luciano and Ricardo…i guess this will be huge! But yes, there are a lot of huge parties to come within the next three weeks!!!! :twisted:

Very good alternative to Cocoon closing, wich will be packed.
We'll be there, Stivi.

It was a amazing night and in fact one of the best parties I have ever participated. I have been at Carl Cox nights before, but this one was more special from the beginning (if all the closings have that speciality going on I will never visit the beloved island in any other month than september again ;)). Too bad you missed Carls' terrace set it seems, as it was the best part of the night musically IMO and that's saying a lot because I agree with you about Laurent Garnier and Carls' set later inside. I can't even describe it to be honest, but it gave you that feeling of "this is why I love electronic music", "this is the reason I keep clubbing" or "now I really believe". It was brilliant and boy, did the crowd love it...It was rocking in the very meaning of the word! Even my GF who is not very fond of electronic music (I'm not sure anymore though 8)) jumped around to the beat like a maniac :lol:...We had a fantastic time and left with a ton of good memories.

I agree with your post, but I have to mention the lasers when Cox played inside!! I asked about the lasers in the clubs of ibiza earlier and I will have to say that the laser show thay gave at Carl cox closing 2007, I will not easilly forget. I have been at Space many times and seen a laser or two being used but nothing like this. I counted 10 fully active lasers at the same time every now and then during his set. They were used with serious skills as the effects made matched to the music very nicely and made me feel like l would be in heaven :D. Seriously when I got back to the hotel I still saw the rays in my eyes when I closed them :twisted:... Other effects and lights were very good as well. I loved the big robot walking around the dance floor and espesially when the huge "sparkle showers" came from his back...priceless!

armada and what's up closing (amnesia), tue sep 18

my fave trance party on the island closed last night. i arrived there at around 2:30am and first went to the terrace, where what's up was going on and one of my fave dj's - michel de hey (i know guys, again :lol:) - was playing a blinding set. took this as a warm-up and then made it to the main room, where markus schulz was playing an energetic and quite banging set. he also dropped a remix of his own "without you near" and the people loved it. the main room was very busy and still not cream- or cocoon-packed. perfecto. at 4am armin van buuren was smiling in the dj booth and from then on, it was a brilliant trip through new trancey stuff and some classics as well (aaah...greece3000). conclusion: i was a huge fan of cream in earlier years and still have a lot of respect for what they do (they're an institution and on the island for more than 10 years already), but music-wise and regarding the crowd, i definitely prefer armada these days when i want some banging melodic electronic dance music. AvB and your mates - hope to see you back in ibiza next summer!!! :D

Back