Ibiza 2003 onwards...So what now?

Barbie said:
That's why Soul Heaven was one of my fave nights on the island this year in June cos altho KC is house (and house at it's best :p ) it made such a change not to be hearing the Lee Carbrera's and the Junior Jack's again as per every other night but just in a different order.

Spot on there again Barbie!!

That's the good thing about Soul Heaven, its based around the soulful house vibe, and although you may hear the odd big tune, most of what you'll here will be pure soulful, funky, jazzy and vocal house. Even the deeper stuff which Kerri plays and produces has a very soulful and jazzy element to it.

If it's all about the feeling that music creates then this is the sort of music that gives me the greatest feeling. It's definitely what I would call more 'real' than a lot of the music on the island at the moment, more about quality and the vibe, than big tunes.

moudire said:
edited by james. thanks for a civilised reply mrs .d

I'm not speaking on behalf of the American R&B industry, but just providing a subtle reminder that for all of America's failings, we're not an entire nation of dictatorial buffoons.
In fact, "it's a little bit funny" how many American djs really find their niches in Europe, and the summah-time in Ibiza.

cookie said:
Barbie said:
Ditto altho I'm probably not recalling as far back as you :p ;)

I wasn't going to Ibiza back then either but even up until the late 90's certain djs would take you on a bit of a musical journey, I can't remember the last time I experienced that in a club

Yeah, I'd have to agree, people just seem to be searching for big tunes, rather than going with a feeling and a vibe and experimenting, playing different records, instead of all the popular records, which are great to hear if they are good, but it gets a bit boring.

When I first went to Ibiza, there were very few trance nights, the ones there were, were German. Cream played house music on the main floor in Amnesia back then, things were just better when it wasn't a sweaty sess pit, people danced and didn't flap there arms and jump up and down.

mrs. d. said:
moudire said:

I'm not speaking on behalf of the American R&B industry, but just providing a subtle reminder that for all of America's failings, we're not an entire nation of dictatorial buffoons.
In fact, "it's a little bit funny" how many American djs really find their niches in Europe, and the summah-time in Ibiza.

Of course, that was a generalisation by Moudire, but I don't think it was too far from the point.

The reason why American DJ's find their niche in Europe, especially the UK, is because the music which they grew up listening to in clubs like 70's disco and soul music, that feeling now lives on in house music, which has been going through a boom in this country since the late 80s early 90s, that's why they play here, because they get to relive that feeling and recreate that vibe, that scene still exists for them in house music.

Don't forget as well, a lot of these American DJs who are popular here, grew up listening to Hip Hop, Rap, RnB, Soul, 'Disco', Jazz, Funk, Latin music, all these things, and they use elements of this in their productions and DJing as well as the vocalists associated with these scenes.

All of the big American DJs produce and remix, they aren't just DJs they are more than that, it isn't all about DJing, its about the music!

Look mate nobody else has posted a reply of disgust here purely because what was written is pretty spot on. This whole urban culture thing pisses me right off. Rnb/hip hop is the only genre of music in the world which positively dicriminates. People that claim they like it are actually just part of the flock of sheep that big internatinal music companys heard around and extort money from. If this were not the case and people in the UK actually love this music for its musical content like they should do, then they actually wouldn't love this music at all, they would still love UK garage which most of them used to to be into, but by changing their musical preferences altogether and all at the same time from UK garage to RNB (which isn't even real RNB anyway it's just girly pop music) in direct proportion to the demise of the so called uk garage scene they just proved to everyone that they were more into following the image that the latest craze carried with it than the actual music. If I am wrong then why isn't everyone that lives in the M4 corridor still into UK garage. The fact that it's hay day is long gone should have no bearing on peoples belief that it is their favourite music style if they had properly chosen it as their favourite in the first place. This girly urban thing is so dangerous that it has already forced posh mickey companies like the BBC to accidentally advertise 1XTRA as a music station which plays black music. WHAT IS BLACK MUSIC? This whole "lets pretend to live a gheto lifestyle" thing is quite simply the source that is feeding racism in this country right now and it is eradicating 15 - 20 years of club culture developement as the whole ethos and intention of the scene back in the early chicago house days was to bring gay/straight and white/black people together to share a musical experience. This was successful until just a couple of years back but now we are already at the stage where a person of ethnic origin is almost forced by peer pressure to like urban music and only urban music and has pretty much had the choice to make a choice taken away by their peers. It is almost getting snobby. Generally people that are into urban music will not give the time of day to anything else whereas a dance or pop enthusiast might not be into RNB but certainly wouldn't run away like a little girl when it comes on in a club as the urban crew do. I look foreward to your responses to what I have written. I apologise in advance for stereotyping the M4 corridor crew. Please don't even think about calling me racist either,I am a trance head half cast with a black girlfriend, a white sister and a white mother. Please put aside your musical preferences and actually see what this " I wish I was an LA gangsta rapper " youth culture is doing to an already fragile UK society.

Well said mate that's all I can say.

We could go on about this forever, but basically any one person should be able to be a part of any music scene they wish, without having to worry about what colour they are.

I go to the Southport Weekender as often as I can, and I have to say, its a fine example of what a good mix of ethnicity and music should be, some places could learn a lot from it, you've got a wide range of music including soulful house and garage, jazz, RnB, funk, soul, northern soul, plus whatever else the DJs choose to play. The crowd is very mixed, both in age and ethnicity but everyone is there for the same reason, to listen to the music they enjoy and its very integrated, people tend to listen to more than one genre of music over the weekend, its all good.

kn1980, has come out with some very good observations there.

i have to say though, that i assume he means the 'uk garage'scene that developed in the late 90's, out of what also used to be called uk garage, but which was a developement out of us-garage, and which took off on the sundayscene in the earlyish nienties, after ministry of sound, sunday mornings, in the elephant & castle pub, the frog & nightgown pub, the arches, the gas club, and also twice as nice, before it became twice as horrible. not to mention all the pirates, girls fm, london underground etc. this was REAL UK GARAGE, AND THE PEOPLE INTO IT CERTAINLY DIDNT MOVE ON TO RNB. its so sad what happend to uk garage, with the introduction of craig david, dane bovers and especially so solid crew, i mean what the fook is that all about. how could people be into that sh1itt. you wold think people had been brainwashed. no wonder the garage scene died. it was almost like these people(so solid etc.) had been planted to fock the scene up.

rnb is pants and its sad that people dont see it for what it is. my guess like kn1980 is that they are certainly not in it for the love of the music. its a shame though that decent people like trevor nelson is flogging this sh1tt. but of course not all rnb is bollox, just most of it. its cetainly made for the sheep out there. :rolleyes:

but but..... surely the best dj's in the word has come out of the US, so we cant be slagging of all of it can we now.......just the bling bling eastcoast westcoast bullsh1tt.

ignorant people are everywhere.

This is getting slightly boring now...

Can we talk about the future of Ibiza again please instead of how much we hate hip hop and R&B? I hate it too but what can be said beyond that? Different strokes for different folks and all that. (yawn)

Cheer up it's Friiiiiday! :D

Like mentioned earlier, there is simply too much choice when in ibiza and with the prices being so high, people cannot afford to go to every night they want to. That is why Bora Bora does so well as people can party for free (hats off to them).

I like the line ups at pacha so much that i could prob go there every night of my holiday, but why would i go to ibiza and go to the same club every night, its just silly expecting people to visit one of the most expensive clubs every night..it ain't happenin!

I reckon the likes of space and DC10 will maintain no matter what happens. There maybe a down turn in nights, with just maybe one 'big' (dare i use the word) night each week. Subliminal and Underwater shoud join back for a combined night for starters!

I don't feel the island will 'die' just feel that there are too many different nights for the amount of epople going and hence the numbers in the lubs are down. Like i say, the likes of space can really do no wrong as peiople will always make the trip purely for that!

well said robder,

let's please get back on track - i love this sort of post! very thought provoking discussion and a lot of very valid points.

sitting here, i really hope the smaller thing continues to flourish. i agree with some of you that the big clubs do wield a certain ammount of power - but power comes from a strong financial base, and at the moment this is dwindling.

so carry on pin up, la diosa (new in santa gertrudis - very underground) and thank heaven for bora bora :)

have any of you really experienced a change in the actual vibe this year? not just numbers?

as far as i can see everyone is having the times of their lives?

james said:
have any of you really experienced a change in the actual vibe this year? not just numbers?

Not at all , it seems that even tho there are less people around, the people who are there are the ones who really want to be :D

I read these message boards on a regular basis and this is by far the most interesting subject yet!

I have been to Ibiza 4 times in the past 5 years and I have the most out of this world experiences everytime I have gone. However, I have not been this year but did notice last summer that the island was not as packed.

I believe there are a number of reasons for this:

- People don't like to admit it but there is a recession going on at the moment. The global economic slow down has caused less people to go away this year. With the amount of spending money you need in Ibiza it is not suprising that people cannot afford to go.

- Ibiza is the best place on earth but everything has a price! Ibiza has got even more expensive this year because of the exchange rates. The botoom line is that Ibiza is too expensive.

- The superclub scene has been dead in the UK for years and it was bound to catch up with Ibiza sooner or later!

- The trance/hard house scene isn't what it was. US House music does not suit massive venues like provelege. I believe that this is why smaller intimate venues like El Divino and Bora Bora suit this musical taste.

- Soemone mentioned that 1999 was a boom year for the island, they were right, and this is because dance music 'trance at the time' was very poular and attracted the mainstream crowd to the island.

- R & B is now the mainstream music and Ibiza generally does not cater for this music and so it shouldn't. Why should a magical island like Ibiza cater for a scene that promotes women as objects, cheesey bling bling jewellery and some of the worst sounds I have heard since the Outhere Brothers! R & B stands for rhythmn & blues, can't say i've heard much of that recently in the charts but I know that i've heard plenty of it in US House music though!

- People are watching their pounds (euros) more closely because they're are just sick of being ripped off!

I am not gonna predict where the scene is gonna be in the future because I don't have a crystal ball, but I pray to God that it invloves 'masters at work'!

Regards, Wrighty

Is that Wrighty as in Jon Wright or have I got the wrong person?

Some good points. Esp the one about the music not being mainstream. To be honest in 1999 (i wasn't there) numbers may have been up purely by it being on the dreadful ibiza undercover program! That brought alot of people to ibiza that may have put numbers up, but in fact filled the island with the wrong type of people. Now programs such as club reps are promoting island resorts like Faliraki etc, hence the 'beer boys' have left hence a down turn in numbers etc

In the grand scheme of things i'm glad house music isnot 100% mainstream as it keeps all the pricks out the clubs and allows the people that are there for the music to enjoy themselves in a friendly environment.

"......i remember house before it was disco......"

sorry to go back to the whole R&B\Hip hop thing, but as people has said before its surprising that people who claim to be musically educated are prepared to shut off a whole culture.

Hip Hop culture could possibly be a way to save Ibiza and Dance music in general...

Name 5 house djs that can scratch well.

Turntablism is viewed by most as "skater music" (but with obviously originating in hip hop). But throw it into dance music and you have a new style that is constantly progressing.

Dance music (and Ibiza) needs to go back to its roots; one dj, one mixer and two turntables. At least it will take out some of the repetitiveness of 75% of Dance music.

The reason why electro is so big now, is because people have stopped slagging off the 80s and began realising it can offer something. Never right off anything, old trends (you think you hate) will always come back to haunt you.

<------------------100% Postmodern

I'm glad that the subject is back on track!
Ibiza is not suffering neither is the dance music. On the contrast, I think that the people who go to Ibiza now are really into its vibe and its music. The numbers of tourits has decreased but the night clubs are still as packed (despite of having more nights than ever). I liked this year scene much more than I did in 2001 (my last trip before this year's). I'm just happy to see that the number of beer boys has come down. Night clubs were3/4 full of nice people. I have regreted one night only during my 11 day stay. It was cream; the place was packed with teen agers just busy taking pix.
The beer boys are heading to Faliraki instead where they can "party" till 2 AM for free.
Another point, is Ibiza dependency on British tourists. This is risky because of 2 main variables:
1- The sterling -euro exchange rate. As the Euro has gone up, Ibiza got more expensive than it already is for the british tourists.
2- The policy of holiday makers. The latter can make more money in Cheaper places because of better mark up (such as the Canaries or Rhodes)

Ibiza has to stick to its core values and dance music is only one of them. The more important are the love of diversity, freedom and happiness. Unfortunately Hip Hop is the complete opposite of Ibiza.
spidey wrote
Hip Hop culture could possibly be a way to save Ibiza and Dance music in general...
Spidey, rest assured that Hip hop will never conquer Balearic house
Period
[/quote]

moudire, please chill out. i know its your opinion but you make it sound like one of the ten commandments ;-)

i applaud the variety and hope that many new nights will emerge who have the courage to put on different types of music, whether hip hop, drum and bass, uk garage or whatever

the whole thing about ibiza is the tolerance for other people's tastes and ways of life - just because armand van helden got booed off the space terrace for playing hip hop, doesn't mean hip hop does not have its place on the island.

only when the island is able to offer this kind of variety do we have a chance of adapting enough for the future.

one of the coolest moves i ever saw by a club was renaissance at privilege in 2000 with their live acts. leftfield, moby, kylie, groove armada, moloko - classy!!

variety is the key. i mean junior jack and lee cabrera come on! - is that really inspirational music?

ibiza needs to wake up, lower its prices and dare to be different!

p.s. the 80s was the last decade with real music ;-)

Back