Ibiza 2003 onwards...So what now?

ive been in peak season and ive been mid season (end june) i prefer it when its not as busy.

i dont think dwindleing numbers will do any harm for the island, infact quite the opposite, because its quieter the poor club nights will get driven out and the good nights will be forced to get better, i think there are far to many nights going on now and the quality has slipped. Not with the good nights but as there are more clubs poor nights are slipping in such as School Disco last year and was there not a 70's night the year before?

i think as long as the nights you like and go to are still there and doing it for you then if the island is busy or not it dont really matter

Robder, as ever, an interesting post.

I think the question is for how much longer the big clubs can continue their stranglehold on the clubbing scene in Ibiza?

The fact is that if businesses lose money they have to close. If it comes to it, how hard will the big clubs fight to retain their profits?

I've only ever been at the beginning and end of the season. Will be interesting to see what things are like there

AT THE END OF THIS WEEK :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

i recently got back from my first trip to ibiza so im in no position to compare years gone by. what i would say is that ive heard people sayin these things for years.

i had a totally wicked time in ibiza and when i went to cream@amnesia it was far too busy with hardly any room to dance. i think that if numbers are goin down as most people say they are, it will be the people that really love the music that will be left, and those who leave will only have been there because they had heard it was the thing to do.

this will only result in a better situation for dance music, with all the crap being driven out and the cream driving forward. so what if the scene gets slighlty smaller, will it get worse? certainly not.

things change and grow, there are always peaks and troughs, the dance scene is no different.
Anyway, i think it would be better if the whole thing went underground again, ud really have to dig through the crates to get the good tunes, no more commercial nonsense and ud only hear the great tunes once every so often when u went to a club.

look at the whole R&B thing thats goin on the now, im totally sick of it and u get the clubs that are jumpin on the urban bandwagon. Look back at the 90s, u had Brit pop, Blur, Oasis, Echo & the Bunneymen. then it went onto limp biskit, foo fighters, Blink 182, now its R&B but that will be forgotten in a few years and something else will come into the charts.
The point im making is, House music has seen all these different musical trends and while they faded House music is still with us and in a big way.

I don't think so much it is lack of numbers, as Ibiza is just as popular with clubbers as it has ever been.

I think Barbie has hit the nail on the head, there simply aren't enough people to go round all the nights. Of course the most popular few nights will always be busy, but its the not so big nights which were very good that are suffering and, us the clubbers because of it.

I think the blame is partly with the clubs and partly with the promoters, the promoters have pushed things one step too far, there are too many nights now, and what could be really good nights are suffering. The clubs should be more selective about what nights they have as well, although they can't be blamed for taking the money. Its not so much the prices, its just the amount of nights at them prices that is the problem.

Take Pacha for example, it seems since Danny Whittle took over as music director things have gone bonkers, you can now go to Pacha to a US or UK night from Mon-Sat, OK Pure Pacha is for the 30th Anniversary but is still UK/US DJ based, that is just ridiculous, they are going to ruin the club for themselves by being greedy. What happened to the days when you could got to Renaissance on a Wed and MOS on a Friday and that was it as far as UK nights went at the club, at one point there was only MOS on a Friday.

Hopefully there won't be as many nights next year and it will be back to normal. Also I think El Divino is closing.

When I first went to Ibiza, there were basically 5 major clubs to go to, 6 if you include Es Paradis which had a couple of good nights back then. They were of course Pacha, Space, Privilege, Amnesia and El Divino (which had only just opened itself about a year or two before). You went to Manumission on a Monday, Moneypennies on a Tue, Renaissance or Clockwork Orange on a Wed, Cream on a Thur, Ministry on a Friday, Sat didn't have any big nights (although there were Spanish ones) and the Sunday Session at Space.

You've now got the addition of Bora Bora, I know its a br but it pulls in the crowds, DC10, Eden is popular with the trance/hard house heads and Pin Up and Underground plus loads more cool bars/places where lots of people spend the whole night and don't even go clubbing sometimes. On top of all that, you can go to one of the big clubs most nights of the week and they have decent nights on.

Something has got to give, hopefully the new clubs like Pin Up will lead the way, with cheaper entry prices and drinks and a more friendly atmosphere, I feel this is the way forward. Hopefully the number of nights will come down and the prices will come down.

Time will tell, one thing for sure in my mind though is that Ibiza will be alive and kicking for a long time with the clubs and vibe that are there, its just going through a bit of a transition, a bit like what has happened in this country.

Hopefully for the better as that is the way I see it has gone in the UK.

Sorry for the long post!!

ElRobbie couldn't have summed it up better :D

I think a lot of Promoters are going to feel the pinch this year and fingers xd that the good ones survive and come back bigger and better next year :D

Ibiza-girlie said:
WELL AS LONG AS THEY DONT PUT SHITE LIKE R&B AND HIPHOP ON IBIZA, THEN ILL SETTLE FOR WHATS COMING!

From what i saw and felt while i was in Ibiza, that will never happen. Hip-hop and r&b is largely governered by the money and commercial success born through American youth and i felt a million miles away from that. When i was on that island it was as if America and all its ideals were non-existent. Ibiza holds a certain people and culture all to itself...and thats what inspires the music and will continue to do so.

dance4life said:
Ibiza-girlie said:
WELL AS LONG AS THEY DONT PUT SHITE LIKE R&B AND HIPHOP ON IBIZA, THEN ILL SETTLE FOR WHATS COMING!

From what i saw and felt while i was in Ibiza, that will never happen. Hip-hop and r&b is largely governered by the money and commercial success born through American youth and i felt a million miles away from that. When i was on that island it was as if America and all its ideals were non-existent. Ibiza holds a certain people and culture all to itself...and thats what inspires the music and will continue to do so.

You got the idea ;)

every year i go to ibiza and every year i'm told that ibiza's losing it, and not as many people are going any more, but ever year is just as great as the last year if not better.

El Robbie is my hero!!!!!

Rob are looking forward to next Tuesday??? We'll have your bed set up for when you get there... You might have to buy an air-bed the day after mind you!!!!

Totally agree with you and Barbie. Know what you mean like Robder, there could be a few things we have to worry about!! R & B and Rap??? That would be my idea of hell, cant they use Benidorm or Tenerife?? For f*** sake leave us alone!!!!

The score on the promoters is totally right, theyve all got too greedy. It's gonna end up hitting them hard too, because there's so much competition from Garlands, Soul Heaven, and the cheaper nights etc etc. There gonna have to put down there prices or people will just simply boycott them.

And about Pacha, like Barbie said, you could go there every night in theory. The nights are good enough. But agreeing again the nights are too similar and why would you want to spend a week of your holiday in the same club?? Ibiza is all about variation.

But I do think people like myself are being pushed out of Amnesia and Privilege, simply because the DJ's and club nights dont cater for my tastes. Dont get me wrong they aint my favourite clubs in Ibiza, but if they put a Soulful house night on, with say someone like MAW or the Basement Boys playing, id be there for sure!!!

Thanks

"It's all about the banter"

i just got back and had a great time, the place is quieter than it used to be for sure but the club nights we went to were wicked. i heard that slinky @ privilege was crap but we did manumission, cream and sunday at space and these were all great, no doubt about it.

space was amazing, by the evening the terrace was rammed and every single person was off their face having a wicked time.

i loved it. :D

Barbie said:
ElRobbie couldn't have summed it up better :D

I think a lot of Promoters are going to feel the pinch this year and fingers xd that the good ones survive and come back bigger and better next year :D

Aaahh, cheers me dear :oops:

I think clubbing should be eclectic, why shouldn't we have more genres of music in Ibiza?

I know what people are worried about, they are worried about Hip hop, Rap, RnB etc, taking over the clubs, but IT WON'T, don't worry about it!

I don't see anything wrong with the odd RnB, Soul or Hip Hop night at a club, or even in a back room or on a terrace. There should be room for all forms of music, there are enough clubs! I think it would make Ibiza a better, more respected and open minded place. There'll always be the fair share of house and trance nights so I don't see what people's problem is. This whole topic is about the fact the clubs are empty, I think this could be an answer to solving that.

You've got 6 or 7 good clubs, x7 nights a week, whats wrong with a few nights with different music, there'll still be a couple of house nights to choose from every night.

If on any given night, you can still go to the club you want to go to and see the DJs you want, would you begrudge another club having an RnB night? I certainly wouldn't! If the clubs are going to carry on being greedy, then they've got to think about doing something different to the other clubs, instead of everyone having house and trance nights.

For a start I don't think there is enough disco, soul and funk music in Ibiza, its house music's roots and should be heard.

That's my piece on it anyway.

I personally think it is good to have something a bit different to just house, house will always be number 1 in Ibiza and then a bit of trance, but why not have some old-school hip-hop or rnb or disco in second rooms. Stuff like Grandmaster Flash doing a bit of old-school hip-hop would go down a treat imo.

The music at Pacha is almost identical to an extent every night this year in the main room, even Perfecto which broke the week up with a bit of trance has gone, as much as I love house it's good to hear different things. I bet you could put some people in the main room in Pacha and blindfold them on any given night and they wouldn't be able to tell you if they were at Underwater or Subliminal or Pure Pacha or wherever.........

That's why Soul Heaven was one of my fave nights on the island this year in June cos altho KC is house (and house at it's best :p ) it made such a change not to be hearing the Lee Carbrera's and the Junior Jack's again as per every other night but just in a different order.

Taken from Nicky Holloway's trust the dj page...

When I was first out there, there was a mix of different music in Amnesia. It wasn't house music all night long. The night of music was like a journey; nowadays you can't do that. That whole true Balaeric thing has gone. No-one would dare play an off the wall record in one of the main clubs during peak time today, because the kids would stand there pulling their faces not really understanding it. In the past it wasn't unusual for Alfredo to drop a mad tune in the middle of the night. When he'd play across the board the night was much more diverse and, for me, much better. I miss that.

I miss those musical journeys too

cookie said:
Taken from Nicky Holloway's trust the dj page...

When I was first out there, there was a mix of different music in Amnesia. It wasn't house music all night long. The night of music was like a journey; nowadays you can't do that. That whole true Balaeric thing has gone. No-one would dare play an off the wall record in one of the main clubs during peak time today, because the kids would stand there pulling their faces not really understanding it. In the past it wasn't unusual for Alfredo to drop a mad tune in the middle of the night. When he'd play across the board the night was much more diverse and, for me, much better. I miss that.

I miss those musical journeys too

Ditto altho I'm probably not recalling as far back as you :p ;)

Barbie said:
Ditto altho I'm probably not recalling as far back as you :p ;)

I wasn't going to Ibiza back then either but even up until the late 90's certain djs would take you on a bit of a musical journey, I can't remember the last time I experienced that in a club

Back