How's Your Year Been? (2020)

Sorry about your loss @fatphilb, and congratulations on the coming new addition. Parenthood is quite the adventure!

@cunninghamali you should come to the USA once the Covid-madness subsides, you will be fairly exotic here (I assume you have a British accent). The reverse held true for me when I lived in the UK for a brief stint. You will have to beat them away with a stick!!!
I shall give the USA guys a go hahaha.. Yes British accent not a local British accent (which is better)

Guess a lot of people have been suffering this year, it's not been not a good year all in all. Me and my ex girlfriend have been on and off for the 3 years we have known each other. Let's just say Xmas has never been a good time for me and her. My dad's death is 2 years on new years day. Otherwise I have positives spending Xmas day with family, including my niece and nephew was lovely. Will tell you this story about my shed at my allotment. So I bought two bags of hard core and my mate has a whacker plate, someone said there was a song there haha my brother in law brought bits from 2 sheds to my allotment, lucky with the help of my brother in law and a good mate we got a shed up, couldn't have done it without there help. Have another shed there for tools/lawn mower, this could be some where to chill etc. and maybe get a regular source of water eventually.

Last edited:
Would send you a pic of my shed, but it says the file is too large think I might have gone off on tangents over the last 2 years now and again haha

Last edited:
Guess a lot of people have been suffering this year, it's not been not a good year all in all. Me and my ex girlfriend have been on and off for the 3 years we have known each other. Let's just say Xmas has never been a good time for me and her. My dad's death is 2 years on new years day. Otherwise I have positives spending Xmas day with family, including my niece and nephew was lovely. Will tell you this story about my shed at my allotment. So I bought two bags of hard core and my mate has a whacker plate, someone said there was a song there haha my brother in law brought bits from 2 sheds to my allotment, lucky with the help of my brother in law and a good mate we got a shed up, couldn't have done it without there help. Have another shed there for tools/lawn mower, this could be some where to chill etc. and maybe get a regular source of water eventually.
I wondered where that story was going when you mentioned getting 2 bags of hardcore ?

Still when I think of happy hard core the first song that comes in to my head is we are the children of the night

Stay off the drugs dude

Well, it's midday here on the 31st where I am, so here goes. While this year has been pretty crappy, I personally shouldn't complain as I think of the situations of so many I know (and so many people I don't know!)

I have friends who've had their businesses almost decimated. I don't know anyone personally who has died of covid, but I do have a friend of friends, - a young, 40 year old guy who documented his last days where it came on all of a sudden and he was dead within a few days.

I'm a teacher, so we were online from March until June, which was very trying. I changed jobs at the end of the school year (nothing to do with covid) and while it's been a 'good' change, it's definitely been weird socially as there hasn't been much opportunity to meet and really get to know new colleagues as our staff room is closed and we can't be around anyone outside our classroom for more than 15 minutes. Also, there have been zero opportunities for anything social. I also realised how much masks make a difference when they're worn all the time, especially when trying to develop relationships with new colleagues and students. Some of them (at my new school) had never seen my face (until we went online in November) and I realise how much small facial expressions make a difference with that.

When everything shut down in March I began going on these really long walks through my city's river valley - I think one day I clocked 62 km (which was sort of excessive and ridiculous) as then, as a result from the walking, I had plantar fasciitis and had to get some physio. Not sure if anyone's had that, but it is soo painful! I don't remember the last summer I didn't travel anywhere far, so this summer, I decided to do some biking (on an old mountain bike) through the province I live in (something I don't think I would have ever done if I was able to fly somewhere). It has definitely given me a new perspective on places and small towns I've only ever driven by before.

I know there are different rules in different places, but one thing I've definitely found, especially now, is that living on my own has made a difference in ways I didn't think it would. I've been fine travelling on my own, living alone, but now that I can't really meet up with anyone, (we can pick one person if we live alone - and for me that's been my mum) I see how much I miss social interactions with people. I think it is different if one has a partner/family/ or even flatmate that they live with. I like my personal space, but sometimes I just feel tired and exhausted from it and as time goes on and less motivated to keep going out for long walks on my own.

I was 100% convinced in February that I would return to Ibiza after a two year hiatus, but I guess returning to lurking on spotlight after a hiatus is just as good! ;) Even though the vaccines have started rolling out, I'm not sure that 2021 will be feasible for summer travel.

Here's to a happy and healthy 2021 (and beyond!) for everyone! :)

If last year was two bags of hardcore, this year is some green paint, some guttering and a fairly big tank :)

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20210417_162812.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20210417_162812.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 10
Back